PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 Get Half Our Cap Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Often it has been said that the patriots spread the wealth. Well, the top 9 players now account for $60M. We should add Light and allow for a restructure or two; but still the top 10 will account for about half of our cap monies.

I suspect that this a change from our Super Bowl years, perhaps not.

Last edited:
Quick check of Miguel's page says it's not. The cap was $80M in 2004 and around 11 players took up half. It was $74M in 2003 and around 10 players were taking up half. When Chad's deal gets restructured and if Mankins gets signed long term I bet we are right about there...

The Colts problems used to emanate from having 4-5 players take up half. That's a top heavy roster. In 2007 the Colts had to field 19 first year players. The JETS have 6 players taking up more than half as we speak, and 10-11 taking up over $80M. That is why they have so many minimum salary players actually in their 51.

I'm actually surprised it's still so balanced given how young the roster feels. It sure seems like the Pats are fielding a lot of major contributors on cheap rookie contracts, which could free up more money for "splurging" on impact veterans.

The Colts problems used to emanate from having 4-5 players take up half.

Based on the last year with info on coltscap.com (2009) the top 6 represented half but it gets worse. Number 7 was dead money and number 8 was on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back