PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 DT's in the draft

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have become more and more convinced that this is where we have to go with our first pick regardless of round. Strategically I hope we move up into the early 20's to get him. That being said I have selfishly created this thread so when I come here I can quickly come here and get information on who are the top guys and when they are likely to go in the first 2 rounds

So please educate me on who the principals are, and what do they offer both in their first year and long term

BTW- if you really want to help me out, you'd create separate threads for the tope 20 pass rushers and the top 20 OG prospects because those are the 3 priorities where we HAVE to get something out of this draft These are the areas where my binkies are going to come out of. Help me out here, as I'm on to the 2015 season.

I'm kind of hoping we're looking at Seattle's model on how to build a defense. Athletes everywhere. I don't really want a Vince Jr type fatty at DT. I'd rather have a good DE like Odighizuwa whom might be able to slide into DT in pass-rushing situations. A la Justin Tuck. Get the bigger run-stuffer with the non-premium pick.

Here's a link for Miller's Top 50, you can go to the next pages to get more :

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2353622-2015-nfl-draft-matt-millers-pre-combine-big-board/page/2

As for DT, I'm WAY behind on the draft. Being in the SB and the ball debacle will do that. However on Daniel Jeremiah's latest podcast he said DT was the deepest position in the draft.
I check out Jeremiah's podcast often. It shouldn't be missed, especially this time of year. (BTW its at nfl.com podcast section - "move the sticks".

Thanks for the links What is need are 3 or 4 names to start looking focusing on, though that can be frustrating this early on. You find a guy you really like. Then you get encouraged because you see several mocks that have him falling to us. Then the combine comes, and he starts to rise. Fewer mocks have him falling where we are. And then by the time the draft comes, he gets drafted so high, it was clear we never really had a shot at him. Thus encapsulates my JJ Watt experience. ;)

You know there are a lot great reasons to be a Pats fan. The draft isn't one of them. Its very frustrating when 90% of the time the media spends time talking about players your team has no chance of getting close to. IIRC, our average draft position during this run has been something like 26.....in EVERY FREAKIN' round. ;)

And since I just started to rant, I might as well keep going. I believe the draft would be fairer if after the first round the order would reverse, like in a serpentine FF draft. In this kind of draft the Pats first 4 picks would be at 32, 33, 96 and the pick after the 3rd round comps, say 100. This would be a lot fairer, yet still give the bad teams an advantage. And......the rant is over. ;)

The best DTs are probably

Leonard Willains (top 5 pick)
Danny Shelton (top 15 pick)
Eddie Goldman (round 1)
Malcom Brown (round 1?)
Arik Arnstead (round 1? DE or DT... 290 6'8... kinda no true position)
Jordan Phillips (round 1? But raw I hear)
Mario Edwards (round 2. 300 lbs.. small DT)
Michael Bennent (round 2)
Carl Davis (round 2)

That is the top 9 that i tend to see consistently in a lot in mocks in the first 2 or so rounds.

Guys like Ellis McCarthy, Gabe Wright are hit or miss depending on what site you look at but i think those 9 separate themselves from the pack.

The Pats probably have a chance to get (with a minor trade up) everyone but the top 2.

I dont worry about scheme as much as talent. We don't need a 330 DT to replace Wilfork per say. Nor should we automatically go small to try to go athletic. I say pick the best DT available in either round 1 or 2 and then tinker with your scheme to make it work.

I personally want either Brown or Goldman though... Armstead is interesting but guys like him don't always pan out and i think he has high bust potential that his upside does not justify. Dito with Phillips.

Edwards, Bennent, Davis I have not seen or read enough about yet honestly. I am behind on draft stuff like a lot of people.

Last edited:
Although DT is the biggest need, i would go for best player available.

With Easley we have a smaller super quick gap rusher, what we need are guys that can command the double team and hold their ground. Wilfork or Ted Washington are the ideal models.

It does seem to me that teams gashed us by running at jones. He was very inconsistent at setting the edge. And the injury could have contributed.

I think that while we all expect bb to take a DT in round 1 in the draft, if the right one is not there, he will pass.

Of course, Ellis McCarthy, more than the top picks outside of Williams, has caught my eye. He will need a red shirt year in our defense, but man, the upside for years two and three and beyond is huge.

With Easley we have a smaller super quick gap rusher, what we need are guys that can command the double team and hold their ground. Wilfork or Ted Washington are the ideal models.

It does seem to me that teams gashed us by running at jones. He was very inconsistent at setting the edge. And the injury could have contributed.

I think that while we all expect bb to take a DT in round 1 in the draft, if the right one is not there, he will pass.

Of course, Ellis McCarthy, more than the top picks outside of Williams, has caught my eye. He will need a red shirt year in our defense, but man, the upside for years two and three and beyond is huge.

I wonder how much Dan Williams is goin to cost? I don't think arizona is gonna resign him. He's a DT that almost never gets pushed around, he can stop the run pretty well, and takes double teams like a champ. If we were able to land him i think we could push DT alittle further down the draftboard.

getting Goldman, Phillips or Carl Davis would all make me happy on draft day.

My top 3 DTs of '14 (pre draft) were (in order) Nix, Donald, Sutton, this year I have to go Williams, Shelton, and Davis

My top 3 DTs of '14 (pre draft) were (in order) Nix, Donald, Sutton, this year I have to go Williams, Shelton, and Davis

Nix ahead of Donald? Was that for the Pats or just generally? I can sort of see it if you were scouting from a purely Pats perspective but, and especially post combine, it would have been Donald every time for me. I was a big fan of Tuitt too. I gave Easley a 2nd round grade, a grade I'm still comfortable with after his first season. Having said that, I was pleased with the pick when it was made because of what I thought it said about BB's attacking intentions on D.

For me, guys who are realistically in the range for the Patriots that I like are
1. Jordan Phillips-raw and some injury concern. But 6'6" 330 lbs that can stop the run and create pass rush

2. Malcom Brown- closer to the VW mold but does show some ability to help with the pass rush

3. Karl Davis- tape is inconsistent this year, but may have been miscast in his role. Showed up big at the Senior Bowl.

I am not in love with Goldman. I don't see the functional strength to be anything but a space eater.

Lower round guys
Xavier Williams out of UNI showed some flashes on tape

I'm still in the early stages of my "armchair evaluation" process, however, I am not really a big fan of this year's DT class. Actually if I'm being honest, I really not thrilled with the whole draft class this year. Sure, there's some studs like every year, but there are not many guys that I feel we "must have," particularly at DT.

I just got done watching some Carl Davis vids and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on his d-line teammate (#90) with a day-3 pick.

Nix ahead of Donald? Was that for the Pats or just generally? I can sort of see it if you were scouting from a purely Pats perspective but, and especially post combine, it would have been Donald every time for me. I was a big fan of Tuitt too. I gave Easley a 2nd round grade, a grade I'm still comfortable with after his first season. Having said that, I was pleased with the pick when it was made because of what I thought it said about BB's attacking intentions on D.
Just generally, I realized Donald's combine really pushed him ahead but I'm still a huge Nix fan, reminded me of Vince

I agree with this. Very intriguing player.

Grid has started to post his DT scouting reports. Leonard Williams, Danny Shelton, Eddie Goldman, Malcolm Brown, Jordan Phillips and Carl Davis up so far. I don't agree with all of them, but they are interesting. Eagerly awaiting Marcus Hardison, Mario Edwards, Arik Amstead, Michael Bennett and Ellis McKinney, among others. That's probably my top 10. Very strong and interesting group overall.

I'm kind of hoping we're looking at Seattle's model on how to build a defense. Athletes everywhere. I don't really want a Vince Jr type fatty at DT. I'd rather have a good DE like Odighizuwa whom might be able to slide into DT in pass-rushing situations. A la Justin Tuck. Get the bigger run-stuffer with the non-premium pick.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and like the idea. I discussed it in more detail on the defensive blueprint thread. Make it Mario Edwards and Marcus Hardison and I like it even more - combine them with Dominique Easley and you have 3 guys with incredible versatility and explosiveness who you can move around to wreck havoc, much as the Pats have used their EDGE/LB players interchangeably.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back