PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 10 Clutch Quarterbacks of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
its a fair list

IMO, Roger Staubach should be listed.

I would buck Namath and Aikman for Favre and Staubach.

Just my two cents.

...and what's up with Marino's left eye?

Ok,
Name the one guy on the list who really doesnt deserve to be there?
How about the Broadway Drunk?

I love the line "he won several big games for the Jets".............uhhhh several sounds like a number less than 5 to me. The fact that you can't then NAME any of them in the following space kind of lends itself to show those "big games" don't stick in anybodies mind 30 years later so exactly how "BIG" were they. Besides the SB year when did Joe take anybody to the playoffs or win in OT or in the "hat -t-shirt games".

He is in there for rep in one game in which the team only scored 17 points and relied more on defense to win the game. Ok it was a turning point game for AFC over NFC; but that doesn't make the QB a "clutch" QB to then be halfway in the top 5 and bump Roger Staubach out of the top 10.

Fair list. Brady's in good company. Refreshing to NOT see Lord Favre on the list.

Last edited:
I'd probably argue with the order; think I'd have both Elway and Brady of Unitas, but then I've only been watching football since '83. And I too struggle to see quite how Namath is so high in the list. Were my money on the line, I'd probably have Aikman a bit higher.

#4 is a good spot for Brady at this time in his career, I do think that Marino should be lower as he never won a Superbowl. Overall, a pretty fair list and Tom is in some very elite company.

Number four with a bullet! How many 4th quarter comebacks does Brady have?

Murphys95 said:
IMO, Roger Staubach should be listed.

I would buck Namath and Aikman for Favre and Staubach.

Just my two cents.

...and what's up with Marino's left eye?

I agree with Staubach, but Favre??? Half the time, when his team is looking for a clutch play, he throws an int. In his last 7 playoff games, he's lost 5 of them, with a BOATLOAD of horrible interceptions. He's anything but clutch, IMHO.

Heck, if it was not for Desmond Howard, he would have lost to the Patriots in 1996 too.

I think Marino deserves his ranking. The guy was great at bringing a team back. If there's one QB I wouldn't want to face with a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter, it's Marino. Montana is next.

Gumby said:
Ok,
How about the Broadway Drunk? .

I wonder what Suzy Kolber thinks of Joe's performance in the clutch

Bostonian1962 said:
I agree with Staubach, but Favre??? Half the time, when his team is looking for a clutch play, he throws an int. In his last 7 playoff games, he's lost 5 of them, with a BOATLOAD of horrible interceptions. He's anything but clutch, IMHO.

Heck, if it was not for Desmond Howard, he would have lost to the Patriots in 1996 too.

Favre has been overhyped for most of his career, but I still believe he was one of the most clutch qbs out there.

And I'd love to believe that without Desmond Howard's return the Pats would have won XXXI, but take away that TD and you still have Green Bay ahead 27-21 in the third.

Of course I'd love to see Tommy Terrific ranked higher than #4, but that's not bad considering the guys ranked ahead of him are named Montana, Unitas and Elway - all Hall of Famers and legends of the game.

I'm very glad Favre isn't on this list.

I was amazed though. Not because i think he deserves it, but because he has been overrated and everyone kisses his ass so much I was shocked to not see his name. Not that he wasn't once a great QB, he was. But in my opinion never really clutch.

Many of his performances when the game is on the line are god-awful.

Gumby said:
Ok,
How about the Broadway Drunk?

I love the line "he won several big games for the Jets".............uhhhh several sounds like a number less than 5 to me. The fact that you can't then NAME any of them in the following space kind of lends itself to show those "big games" don't stick in anybodies mind 30 years later so exactly how "BIG" were they. Besides the SB year when did Joe take anybody to the playoffs or win in OT or in the "hat -t-shirt games".

He is in there for rep in one game in which the team only scored 17 points and relied more on defense to win the game. Ok it was a turning point game for AFC over NFC; but that doesn't make the QB a "clutch" QB to then be halfway in the top 5 and bump Roger Staubach out of the top 10.

I have to say that Roger Staubach should be on this list as I noticed most of the guys won championships so that shortens it to Marino and Namath and since Dan won many clutch games as I recall I would have to say Namath should be bumped for Roger the Dodger thats just my two cents.

not bad a 4th place and he is still at the top and still quite young (29)

compliments to Tom Brady !

SI had a top 10 list of items that prove that the sports media is heavily northeast biased. Along with the lack of reverence for Stan Musial and the excessive hype over the 1986 World Series, one of the items was Joe Namath. He's in that illustrious list of one-time SB winners, along with Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, and Brad Johnson. More interceptions than touchdows, even in 1968. All hype.

I'd like Staubach in there too, and Marino a little lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes