PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Too many receivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serifyn

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With The acquisition of Ochocinco first i was pretty happy, but then i thought about how many receivers the patriots already have.

The patriots have shown how effective they can be with Runningbacks and tight ends and after the patriots traded moss, for most of the year after that they utilized only welker or branch (or his replacement while he was injured).

if this trend continues, the patriots wont have enough room on the roster for all of these guys.

look at the receivers the patriots have on their roster now.

Wes Welker - he isnt going anywhere this year.

Deion Branch - the other projected starter.

Chad Ochocinco - will have to beat out branch to take his spot, otherwise he is the 3rd reciever.

Brandon Tate - pushed out by all 3 above him, but still has value as a kickoff return man, which will now be devalued with the new rules.

Taylor Price - Started slow last years but when he came into the game late he looked pretty damn good.

Julian Edelman - Welker's backup who will probably never see game action as a reciever, but he is a pretty good punt returner.

Matthew Slater - Has special teams value. i cant imagine any other receiver is able to supplant him in this role.

the number of players at this spot and the value they bring makes it difficult to cut them, in addition to this, the patriots have a ton of new runningbacks and tight ends, they will need to carry 3 quarterbacks this year if they want a true backup (hoyer) and the mega prospect (mallet)

where are the patriots going to put all of these guys? any ideas?

if any of our WRs, RBs, TEs or QBs get cut, who does and why?

Why do people have this misconception that Kick returns are going to be some how devalued just because they are being returned to the position that they were prior to 1993?

I have news for people, Kick returners are going to be just as important now as they were last year and you are fooling yourselves to believe otherwise.

Slater is gone. All the others should stay.

Edelman.

Welker is better than him in every single way except age. Vereen and Welker can return punts.

GREAT POINT. I was thinking the same thing. Morris for RB is a competition move for camp.

I see Tate and Slater out. and Morris ofcourse

Welker to the Rams for a 2nd

Last edited:
Holy sh*t!

Too many receivers!!!11!!

Maybe someone could give Bill Belichick a ring and see if he understands the finer nuances of building a football roster.

Some of you people are unbelieveable.

This may affect Faulk and S Morris more than anyone else. If for example if we carry 25 on O I could see 3 QB, 4 RB, 3 TE, 6 WR, 9 OL fro 25, perhaps 5 WR and 4 TE? Perhaps 8 OL?

Real squeeze for roster spots.

6 WR I would guess: Branch, Welker, Johnson, Edelman, Tate, Price, if 5 who is most vulnerable?

Very competitive position at camp.

Hard to see > 4 RB at this point..... BJGE, Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen and Faulk if they keep 5.

Last edited:
If the patriots are anything like they were last years, Tate, Edelman and Price should almost never see the field barring an injury. thats alot of backups at a devalued position.

i think OC is a good pickup, and branch with a full camp might be better than he was last year and he was pretty damn good. but even so, The Patriots are most effective using 2 or 3 tight ends on every snap, i personally figure Gronkowski and Hernandez (assuming he is healthy) to be in almost every snap, it also makes sense to have at least 1 RB in per snap to create the threat of a run or catch. Vereen and Woodhead will be used for this.

Holy sh*t!

Too many receivers!!!11!!

Maybe someone could give Bill Belichick a ring and see if he understands the finer nuances of building a football roster.

Some of you people are unbelieveable.

Don't be a jerkoff, this is a discussion of who they will be keeping, who they will be cutting and why.

Think of it this way. For each player gained positionally speaking we will have to subtract 1 to stay at last years #.

Starting 5 last year shoot.

RB's shoot.

DL OL shoot.

Do the math game it is not as bad as ya'll make it out to be.

Pats probably only keep 4 RB's......free's up a spot for 6 WR's

If they practice Lee Smith as a LS/TE- Katula could get cut..(longshot but not impossible).

This gives them 4 TE's and Smith gets a chance to get some PT if he's a keeper and Alge gets to mentor him.....

Plenty of weapons on offense

Welker
Branch
Chad
Edelman
Tate
Price
Gronk
Hernandez
Crump
Smith
BJGE
Woody
Vereen
Ridley

3 QB's
8 OL

Hard to see > 4 RB at this point..... BJGE, Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen and Faulk if they keep 5.

i think faulk is out regardless, woodhead and vereen will fill his role. its sad but the patriots have obviously decided to move on. Ridley may eventually fill Morris role of a pseudo full-back, but right now i dont know if you can trust him with this task.

BJGE, Woodhead, Ridley, and Vereen are locks, but i have a hard time imagining they dont keep Morris too, assuming one of the other RBs they brought in don't somehow beat him out. (kettani?)

Welker to the Bears for a 2nd

What ever happened to all those off season rumblings of Welker being traded? This actually makes sense considering Edelman is a younger Welker, and comes at a much reduced salary.

Brady trusts Welker too much, and Welker is in a contract year. there is nobody else on the roster except for Edelman who can fill his role, so if Edelman took over for Welker and got injured again (he has been injured each season on the patriots even with his limited action), you can kiss the whole slot receiver thing goodbye.

The Patriots would never trade Welker now. they may decide to let him walk after this year, but they would have to feel pretty damn good about Edelman.

Think of it this way. For each player gained positionally speaking we will have to subtract 1 to stay at last years #.

Starting 5 last year shoot.

RB's shoot.

DL OL shoot.

Do the math game it is not as bad as ya'll make it out to be.

Especially since thy could go with 3 T's, most carry 4, if they resign Light. They could keep 5 CBs realistically.

I prefer to think of it as healthy competition.

But I disagree about Welker, he's not going anywhere.

What ever happened to all those off season rumblings of Welker being traded? This actually makes sense considering Edelman is a younger Welker, and comes at a much reduced salary.

They'll commence tomorrow, I assume. Can't see them keep all 3 top receivers in a 2-TE offense.

(And I've changed my prediction to the Rams. Get Welker back with McD and get Bradford some much-needed help.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes