Welcome to PatsFans.com

Too many extremists on this board

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

BelichickFan things raped women should be forced to carry the baby to term; Harry_Boy regularly stereotypes people of color; at least BlueTalon and Turd appear to agree with BelichickFan that employers should be allowed to hire and fire based on a person's color, etc.

Where does that leave people like mgcolby, bmf31c, Chevy, PatsFanInMaine, FreeTedWilliams, and Pissah who are more moderate?

Also, are other moderates and liberals on this board as disgusted by the bigotry and sexism as I am?
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 1 / -9

Whiney liberals, they can dish it out with their little snide left wing insults but they can't stand being "talked back to" they will never come to grips witht he fact that there are millions of people in this country that do not agree with them or their "looney thinking".

I love people of color what I don't like is liberals "ORDERING" me to like them.

Also,
    If there were no extremists on this forum who would you have to spread the "Liberal Gospel" to.

This is how your posts would read:
    "Those Republicans are no good"
    "yeah you got that right"
    "I hate Bush"
    "yeah, me too"
    "I love everybody as long as they think like I do"
    "yeah, me too"
    "Imagine Cheney shooting a guy in the face, I hate him"
    "yeah me too"
    "I don't like Bush's dog, I hope he runs away"
    "yeah me too"
    "I hope we send some money to Africa to buy some Condoms"
    "yeah me too"
    "I hope they don't drop the Masturbation Classes in the public schools"
    "yeah me too"
    "I love Uncle Teddy"
    "yeah me too"

Oh look, a butterfly :bricks:
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Thank you, Harry. It was easy to goad you into proving my point.
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +357 / 1 / -9

There's more, go back and read it :singing:
  5. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I for one see a hypocrisy in the way racism is viewed in this country but I do not support people who would hire or fire someone based on the color of their skin. But I do not support affirmitive action either because it essentially leads to people being hired and fired based on the color of their skin. I think natural selection would take care of this issue in today's environment, I mean if a green dude who owned a business only hires other green dudes he probably won't be that successful with the limitations he himself put on his business.

I am not sure what you are talking about with the sexism. I responded to the sexist post in the abortion thread because that reasoning was absolutely absurd, but other then that I don't remember reading anything that I found sexist or even a thread about it.

Though harry tends to go to the NEM with his rants the basis for his arguments are somewhat valid. There is a double standard in this society, there are many things that minorities (blacks in particular) can say without any repercussions that would get a white person crucifide.

My 2cents
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +357 / 1 / -9

Patters knows the reason for "my rants" I am an eighth grade dropout retired truck driver trying to hack it with a bunch of well educated debaters.

Your post is exactly how I would have put it if I hadn't quit school, thank you. :rocker:
  7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know exactly what you are refering to when you're talking about Harry Boy's stereotypes, but some stereotypes are earned. Two examples I'll grab off the top of my head are Mormons and rappers. Mormons are stereotypically nice, well groomed, polite people. Rappers are stereotypically thugs. Are ALL Mormons nice? And are ALL rappers thugs? Of course not. But there are enough of them like that to justify the stereotype. It's worth noting that liberals are just as guilty of stereotyping on this board, it's just that the targets of their stereotypes happen to be conservatives, military, and Republicans.

You consistantly focus on the color aspect of Belichickfan's comments, and refuse to see the greater point he is making -- which is not about color or bigotry, but about government telling people what to do. Your selective interpretation of his comments are indicative of your stereotyping of conservatives as sexists and bigots. I don't know if you are intentionally misrepresenting his comments or unintentionally misrepresenting them, but either way, you make yourself as much a candidate for object-of-disgust as the people who disgust you.
  8. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I post less and less because intelligent debate has gone by the wayside in here. It's a loop arguement that infects every thread.
    To be honest I really don't even read most of the threads unless it somehow involves the military.
  9. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I do want to add something else, I find the majority of extremists on this board come from the left. NEM, Mikey? are they not far left? Even yourself patters you are far left, I am not sure being far left makes anyone an extremist but if you made me pick which side has the most extremists it would be the left on this board. Hell this board is so left it makes me look like I am far right.
  10. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +839 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

I find the board quite far left and totally obsessed with Bush to an extreme degree. Kneejerk responses to every topic drag in unrelated administration rants.

That being said, I do not support the positions Patters cited in the opening post.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +357 / 1 / -9

Extremism is a "Two Way Street" DOES ANYONE DENY THE EXTREME LIBERALISM OF A FEW ON THIS BOARD?

Common Sense is the backbone of Conservatisim.

I bring who I choose home to dinner, not those that the Government tells me to bring home, that is called FREEDOM.
  12. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Ah, but there's the rub. I find large sections of the board to be quite far to the right. Isn't it all about perception? I would agree with bmf31c that the arguments became circular some time ago. I realised that I have my BS liberal, America and Troop Hating opinions and those on the right have intellectually inferior, hateful, racist, sexist and inbred ones. I realised I was guilty of doing it myself and got bored of reading my own cr*p. Yada yada yada yada.
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Patters, I often agree with you, but c'monn.

Abortion is a very difficult issue, and while I'm vehemicly pro-choice, I understand the other side's position. I've disagreed with BelichickFan almost every time he's posted, but I've never thought of him as an extremist.

And if there are conservative extremists here, what about NAM and mikey? Extremism goes both ways...
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Unless you were gay, then a conservative government would LOVE to tell you who you can't bring to dinner.
  15. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I rarely post, due to the fact that everyone on this board knows way more than I, so instead of sounding stupid, i just read and interject comments. With that said, i think this should be a place where people can express their views. The problem is when people disagree, they tend to revert to name calling, instead of disagreeing and giving their point of view.

an example is someone says "whites are lazy because they just feed of the welfare system". a normal reponse on this board would be "oh, typical neo con honky lover bull crap" when instead the poster should say "I disagree because..." When this forum started it was great. but as time goes on, everyone has lost respect for one another and just revert to name calling. The problem is Moderators on this forum are too passionate to their beliefs to truely moderate the forum. You need to find a Mod who really can see both sides and step in when people are making personal attacks on one another. I would volunteer to be the Mod for this forum for many reasons...1) i read this board and forum at least two times a day, 2) i have the ability to see both side of an arguement without going off on someone because their views are not mine, 3)i am not an active poster in this forum, so i would not be labeled as conservitive, lib, rep or dem. With that being said, you can decide to do what you want. Keep in mind that with e-mail or message boards, it is hard to pick up on someones tone when they are typing. As you read this post, you can't tell if i am speaking in a calm manner or if i am jumping up and down screaming. So keep that in mind when you respond to someone. Just my thoughts, do what you want with them. I can tell you, if i was spoken to in person, the way you all speak to one another on this forum...I would clean your clock and not think anything about it. In the end, be respectful!
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Opposing abortion for a woman who is a victim of rape or incest is an extreme position. Most maintstream anti-abortion foes do not go that far. Opposing civil rights and women's rights legislation is an extreme position. Most mainstream conservatives have not called for rolling back the clock on any of the major legislation such as Voting Rights, Title VII, Title IX, etc.

We should distinguish between people who express things in offensive ways (which most of us do at least occasionally) and people who have extremist positions. What have NEM or Mikey posted that you consider extremist? I'll agree they've sometimes made antagonistic posts, but those are made all the time. There's a difference between an extremist position and simply trying to antagonize the other side.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +357 / 1 / -9

THIS TURNED INTO QUITE A THREAD, DID IT NOT :rocker:
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Even in the event of rape, I don't see the pro-life position as extremist (and this is coming from somebody who is very pro-choice). If their argument is that abortion is killing a baby, then to kill a baby concieved by rape is still to kill a baby. Actually, I see more of a contradiction if someone was pro-life but wanted a rape exemption. Put another way, would you consider killing a baby already born of rape? Of course not. Life/health of the mother is a different animal, which I'm not getting into here because of time.

You remember NAM's post about removing Bush using the 25th amendment? I've never heard ANYONE, including those who favor impeaching Bush, talk about using the 25th amendment in this way. That seems like an extreme position. Also his stubborness and unwillingness to even debate the other side's points smacks of extremism.

Sorry, but extreme is a big, bad word that's tough to apply the way you're trying. It's a word best left for commercials targetting teenagers.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +357 / 1 / -9

Nem The Dem is a professional ball buster, he probably doesn't believe half the sh!t he posts on here himself.... :bricks:
  20. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You and him both. You guys are so far apart yet so similar, except you also think you're a professional comedian.