PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Too many commercials in football games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that's annoyed with all the commercial break they have during a football game.

The flow of the game has been compromised. There are too many breaks that can dominate any given ten minute stretch, making it appear that commercials are the main event.

The NFL is in danger of losing control of its product. Its product turns out to be associated with alcohol, pickup trucks, and sex drugs. It's a bizarre marriage of convenience, but the flow of the game really suffers.

They don't show that Jeep commercial enough. The one with the wolf swallowing the bird during a sing a long. I can't believe somebody gets paid to come up with that ****.

Good idea, but your not watching the game live. Maybe its just me, but I prefer watching a live game.

I usually time it to "chase" the game, skipping the commercials and other annoying stuff like Faith Hill, and ending up caught up to live by the end of the fourth quarter in time for Patriots Fifth Quarter.

The only thing you have to do is avoid going to NFL.com or listening to the radio during the 45 minutes at the start of the game.

I don't watch "live" TV ever. Just hit record and start watching 20 late for each hour of the show. I haven't watched a commercial in a year.

I must admit, my neighbors probably wondered what was going on when I was screaming my head off at Moss' catch the other night, probably 15 minutes after it actually happened!

The other way to watch a DVR game is "speed football" for games that you don't really care that much about. Unless a team is in a hurry-up no-huddle, the 30 second skip button is perfect to skip between plays. As soon as the ball carrier hits the ground, push skip, and it jumps to the team just before the snap on the next play. No announcers. No filler. Just condensed plays. You can watch a game of "speed football" in under an hour.

I should have used the speed football technique for the two NFC games this weekend. I went 0-2 staying awake for those snoozefests. That Giants/Tampa Bay game today was mind-numbing.

I usually use the commercial breaks to…

1) Come on here
2) Check the Game Center stats
3) Get something to eat
4) Piss

There’s plenty to do to keep me occupied.

Also as far as the DVR thing, I did that once for the Steelers game and watching the game just felt so wrong. Knowing the outcome had already been determined, yet I was in the past made me feel so strange.

I usually time it to "chase" the game, skipping the commercials and other annoying stuff like Faith Hill, and ending up caught up to live by the end of the fourth quarter in time for Patriots Fifth Quarter.

The only thing you have to do is avoid going to NFL.com or listening to the radio during the 45 minutes at the start of the game.

I don't watch "live" TV ever. Just hit record and start watching 20 late for each hour of the show. I haven't watched a commercial in a year.

I must admit, my neighbors probably wondered what was going on when I was screaming my head off at Moss' catch the other night, probably 15 minutes after it actually happened!

lol that's some funny stuff.
I always have at least 3 different shows to watch during any NFL game
I cant sit there and watch all those damm commercials.

I usually use the commercial breaks to…

1) Come on here
2) Check the Game Center stats
3) Get something to eat
4) Piss

5) Check eyelids for leaks

The flow of the game has been compromised. There are too many breaks that can dominate any given ten minute stretch, making it appear that commercials are the main event.

The NFL is in danger of losing control of its product. Its product turns out to be associated with alcohol, pickup trucks, and sex drugs. It's a bizarre marriage of convenience, but the flow of the game really suffers.
This is what I was going to post . I agree the commercials interupt the flow of the game. Before the barganing agrement in the mid-ninties that the salary cap is based on, the were a lot fewer commercials. You would never see a point after followed by a commercial then a kick off followed by a commercial. Its gotten out of hand, but the money has to come from some place.

When I'm at the game, I hate the commercial breaks. Usually just standing around in the cold waiting for the game to start again.

At home, I actually never really mind them, cuz as another poster said, I can take a bathroom break or get something to eat, as well as break up some of the tension if its a close game. Maybe take a quick lap around the living room or something haha.

The one commercial break that really irks me is the one between the kickoff and the series. It makes no sense. But it's the NFL, it's America's sport right now and they can do whatever they want, we'll still watch their product. Minor annoyances like commercials will certainly not prevent people from turning on a great game.

I hated the commercials at first.

But; I have just go used to it!

Like someone else said, a second programme to watch works well.

The only time I really get annoyed with commercials is when there is a commercial after a score, then the kickoff, then another commercial, especially after the Patriots have just given up a score. I want them to answer back ASAP.
Dude! I hate that. This is even worse.
One team scores, timeout.
Kickoff , timeout
Drive begins, 10 secs left in the Q. Timeout
Come'on already.

The point after, break, kickoff, break ids usually the only one that bothers me too much and at least some games no national tv don't go to breaks during the final few minutes when the teams take timeouts to stop the clock. I have a DVR but I would still much rather watch it live and then dduring the Ads I can review some of the more intersting plays or how much the part time refs screw up.

i understand its how they make their money but they really are maximizing that revenue to an unnecessary extreme if u ask me. and its really becoming unbearable. especially like someone said, after the patriots give up a score and there's 2 sets of commercials before we get to see our offense get a chance to answer. there shouldnt be tv timeouts after kickoffs.

Do you still need a TV License ? You (they) did when I left in 1979.

not sure, I don't think so. My parents live there and I'm pretty sure they didn't pay for anything except Sky. (I'm assuming you mean a license to own a tv?) Anyway, I personally would rather pay some kind of licensing fee (if reasonable) every year than sit through the commercials. Or simply get rid of 30% of the current commercials and hike the ad spots for the rest of the 70% a little bit just to make it reasonable. When I was over there last they showed the "Game of the Week" which is basically the NBC Sunday night game and it was the 2nd Pats Bills game. In between plays, when U.S. ads would run they'd have an English commentator ask questions and this guy would break down all the plays and talk about what he saw. It was somewhat basic because he was explaining to a newbie audience, but how great would it be if, instead of commercials, we had Jaws breaking down plays in between each break, or, better yet, showed the highlights of the other games that were going on.

I hate commercials also but that's why I invested in TIVO... I don't watch the first 30 minutes of the game when it starts because I'm letting my TIVO get to recording, then I start watching and am able to fastforward through all the commercials throughout the whole game... My remote also comes with a PAUSE button so say I'm cooking something also, I don't have to miss anything. If I like a hit or something on the play, or one of the guys goof off that I want to see it again, I can rewind it also... It's pretty cool... Never watching a commercial again equals getting a TIVO..

I would very much prefer to skip the commercials unless they run one where someone hits that Bud Light guy who only says "Dude" in the face with a shovel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back