PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony G still wants to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article on Belichick and Tony Gonzalez was pulled from a Kansas City web site a few years ago, and posted on Patriots planet...... I figured I would share it, because I thought it was a good read.

Great Article about Coach Belichcik out of KC [Archive] - Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums

Every so often you happen across a little story so perfect that you just have to share it, even if it doesn’t really have much to do with anything else. This story is about New England coach Bill Belichick.

These days, with the Patriots undefeated and all, figuring out what makes Belichick tick is like the Holy Grail for football fans and sportswriters and business leaders, too. The guy is the best at what he does. The guy has won three Super Bowls as a head coach, two more as an assistant, and now he’s coaching what many consider the best team ever.

There are those who think it isn’t too difficult to figure Belichick’s success. He is obsessed, he’s smart, he’s cranky, he’s meticulous, and he’s willing to push pretty much any boundary in order to win. It’s like that old line from “Citizen Kane”: “It’s no trick making a lot of money when all you want to do is make a lot of money.”

But obsessed, smart, cranky, meticulous, competitive — these words describe 80 percent of coaches. There’s something else.

Last year, Belichick coached the Pro Bowl. As you guessed he took it too seriously. On Friday — a day normally reserved for a short practice and lots of beach time, Belichick gathered everyone together.

“I didn’t come all the way out here to get embarrassed,” he barked at the best players in professional football. Then, he had them practice their substitutions as if they were junior high kids. He yelled “punt team” and had the punt team run on the field. Field-goal team. Second-team offense. Faster. Again.

That insanity already tells you a lot about Belichick. But that’s not the story. No, the story comes from the game itself and involves Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez. As you know there are no role players in the Pro Bowl. It’s a game of stars. That means some stars have to do some grunt work. Every year, coaches put Gonzalez — now a nine-time Pro Bowler — on the kickoff return team.

“I don’t know why they keep doing that,” Gonzalez says.

Nobody knows, but one of the byproducts is that Gonzalez’s family and friends get to laugh hysterically. It is one of the highlights of their Hawaii trip, watching Gonzalez look helpless and try his best to avoid contact on the kickoff team. Hey, come on, the Pro Bowl is a reward. Everybody says so. Nobody goes there to get hurt blocking on kickoffs.

So, first kickoff, Gonzalez stood back, the kick flew over his head, and he sort of looked for someone to block. Someone ran around him and tackled the return man. Business as usual. Only there was Belichick. He did not look at Gonzalez. He stared grimly at the field — you know that Belichick look. He did not even seem aware of Gonzalez’s existence.

Then, as Tony ran by, Belichick said this: “Why don’t you (bleeping) block somebody, Gonzalez.”

Gonzalez turned to look. Was that Bill Belichick? Was he joking? Belichick had the most disgusted look on his face. He still would not look at Gonzalez.

“It’s like I was a piece of dirt,” Gonzalez would say.

It was beyond imagination. Belichick had cursed at Tony Gonzalez, the best tight end in football, for missing a block. In a Pro Bowl game. On the kickoff return team. This would be like, what, your boss coming up to you at your Sales Person of the Year party and swearing at you because your shoes aren’t right for the occasion.

Gonzalez was mad. Hopping mad. Who in the heck did Bill Belichick think he was anyway? Gonzalez was no kid. He’d played for four different coaches. He knew how they acted. But still … the gall of this guy. Didn’t he have any idea how hard Gonzalez worked to get here to the Pro Bowl. For what? To get treated like that?

Gonzalez stewed, grumbled, kept looking over at that coach. Next kickoff, Gonzalez went out there, and he was still enraged. He didn’t need this. The ball was kicked over his head, and Gonzalez saw the defender coming hard, and … you bet. Gonzalez clocked him. Took him out.

Then, Gonzalez was sure to walk by Belichick. Yeah, what do you have to say now, Mr. Genius? Again Belichick did not even look Gonzalez’s way. Stared straight at the field. That’s right. Tony walked, and Belichick did not say a word. And then, with Gonzalez almost out of range, Belichick barely whispered: “Nice block.”

“How did you feel when he said that?” I asked Gonzalez. He looked sheepish. He’s almost 32 years old. He will soon own every meaningful tight-end record there is. He should have long ago stopped worrying much about what coaches thought of him, especially other teams’ coaches.

“I felt really good,” he admitted.

“So you’re saying that seven words from Bill Belichick got you to block hard on the kickoff unit at the Pro Bowl?” I asked.

Sometimes you get to the heart of something without even trying. Gonzalez smiled and summed up the story that may explain why Bill Belichick is the best around.

“Hey,” Gonzalez said. “I’m coachable.”

Draft Day deal with KC.

Pats need to get rid of some picks. Everyone knows they will sell some.

My bet is their own 3rd rounder gets it done.

Or they draft a Jaron Gilbert at 34 or in the first round and then swap Jarvis Green out with KC.

I believe a close swap on Cap money.

can we focus on peppers, plz?

Re: Tony G still wants to be traded.

How has KC's QB durability been lately?

exactly when they KC oline cannot protect it also means the TE and RB cannot block either . ALL it takes is 1 free guy to get through 4-5 times a game to change the out come.

what is the difference between a TE who is only receiving option to a 3rd WR. The WR is faster and better route runner when you compare galloway to tony and in some packages we can use greg lewis as the speedy option which tony cannot play. best you need not spend a dime of the 2 options but have to pay tony 7 million.

Last edited:
Re: Tony G still wants to be traded.

With Moss, Welker, Galloway, Lewis at WR and 4 TEs already on the roster, i don't see the sense in getting Gonzalez unless it is a ridiculously cheap offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back