Tony Eason

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
i seee that majority of fans are 'against' him and i think he knows it as he missed the last year 'parade' 1985 Super Bowl team @ Gillette if i remember correctly

but...don't you think he should deserve a little bit more from us, Patriot fans ?

personally i respect him and it is a petty that he was unable to do more with us

what do you think about Tony Eason ?

could he be considered one of the top 6-7 qb we ever had ?

italianpatthepatriot said:
i seee that majority of fans are 'against' him and i think he knows it as he missed the last year 'parade' 1985 Super Bowl team @ Gillette if i remember correctly

but...don't you think he should deserve a little bit more from us, Patriot fans ?

personally i respect him and it is a petty that he was unable to do more with us

completely agree. Top 4 QB: Brady, Bledsoe, Grogan, Eason. Parilli was before my time.

A tough one...and the fact he wished money to appear here..OR a nimber of tickets OR something like that only makes me think of him in a negative way.
He was not tough, not a winner at all and in the top 7..but I would say in the lower part.

Pats726 said:
A tough one...and the fact he wished money to appear here..OR a nimber of tickets OR something like that only makes me think of him in a negative way.
He was not tough, not a winner at all and in the top 7..but I would say in the lower part.
I don't see how you can say that. Eason won 3 road playoff games to make it to the SB, games in which he didn;t throw a pick. In fact in his 5 game playoff career he never threw an INT. Yes he got blown apart by the Bears. But in the two previous playoff games the Bears won by shutout. They were probably the greatest one year team in the history of pro football. And Eason came back the next year and won the division as the starting QB.

Eason had the ability to be a great quarterback. What he did not have is the heart and the toughness. I never say anyone go down so quickly when a lineman was coming at him.

In Felger's book, he wrote the Eason asked Grogan if he worried about how his body was going to feel after he tried. If I remember correctly, Eason indicated he was concerned. You can't play football (and be good) if you are too worried about how your body will hold up when you retire.

I'll say top 5, (Parilli was a fine QB). He was very talented, however I don't have much respect for him.

He always had the advantage of a great line and running game, yet he ended up a *****.

The contrast to an actually injured Grogan was tremendous.

You can look at statistics all you want, when defenses know you can be intimidated, it's all over.

I'm sure there's a word for it in Italian. This game isn't for sissies.

personally if i would be @ Gillette and met Tony Eason i will cheer him and not 'booing' him

he could have been a great qb if he was more tough but still is in my top 5 or 6 qb after Brady, Bledsoe, Grogan and Parilli.

I always remember Hog Hannah saying that "Eason was afraid of his own shadow".

Like many here, I've watched thousands of NFL football games. I would have to say that Eason was the most "scared" football player I've ever seen. I can never get out of my mind those times where he'd kneel down to take a hit, and there was nobody there to hit him. Hard to watch.

The Patriots have been lucky though. Grogan, Bledsoe, and even Brady are all tough guys that can take a hit (well, in the case of Bledsoe, most hits:)).

Bostonian1962 said:
I always remember Hog Hannah saying that "Eason was afraid of his own shadow".

Like many here, I've watched thousands of NFL football games. I would have to say that Eason was the most "scared" football player I've ever seen. I can never get out of my mind those times where he'd kneel down to take a hit, and there was nobody there to hit him. Hard to watch.

The Patriots have been lucky though. Grogan, Bledsoe, and even Brady are all tough guys that can take a hit (well, in the case of Bledsoe, most hits:)).
Hannah's Bear Bryant background made his standards different from those of today. I think Eason would have been better suited for today's football, and I think Hannah was wrong to tarnish Eason with such a blanket statement which I believe was exaggerated. I remember Eason torching Miami for 3 TDs in Miami in the AFFCG, a place where we hadn't won in 18 tries. How much of a ***** was he that day?

anyway it is a petty thet Tony Eason did not participate with all the other 1985 players at the parade @ The Razor

i think that he feels the fans does not love him

probably he was not a real football player but still i think that he playied also very good games for us and the run at our first Super Bowl was also a credit to him

Don't forget about Jim Plunkett

He was clearly better than Eason. Tony had a couple good years, he made a great throw to Lin Dawson in the Raider game that resembled Montana to Clark. I would cheer for Eason but don't have the respect we reserve for the other QBs

I never liked him, but I was just a wee lass of 5 in the first SB season. . .My father had me brainwashed into worshiping at the altar of Steve Grogan.

I liked Eason. Of the Patriots QB's that I've seen play, I would rate him 4th, behind Brady, Bledsoe, and Grogan. I was never a fan of Plunkett. He was a much better QB after he left NE than he ever was for the Pats. And even then I never thought he was that great.

Eason is right about the fans attitude. Couldn't stand the guy because he'd go down too easily. However, had he had the sack to attend the Gillette celebration I would have stood and cheered for the guy, no question. It's classless to boo an ex-Pat who in good faith attends an honorary celebration.

personally if i would be @ Gillette and met Tony Eason i will cheer him and not 'booing' him

he could have been a great qb if he was more tough but still is in my top 5 or 6 qb after Brady, Bledsoe, Grogan and Parilli.
I agree, Eason played well when he was here. That he was clobbered by the 1985 Bears was nothing to be ashamed about...

BTW, on of the best things about this current dynasty is that it has had a long-reaching, redeeming effect on the past Patriot teams and players. Would we be as freindly toward Eason had the Pats been still searching for their first SB win?

Last edited:
Tony "tennis elbow" Eason...

Biggest waste of a 1st round pick. I remember when he was supposed to be injured and they got a picture of him playing tennis with his girlfriend. Please don't over hype this guy. He wasn't all that.

best Pats QB's

Sorry to say I can't add anything about Eason as I was travelling through Europe during the '85 season and especially playoffs. However, I find it surprising no one mentions Jim Plunkett in their top 5-7 Pats QB's. I know some will be upset he left to join those damn Raiders, but still while he was here - he was one of the better players on some dismall Pats teams in the early 70's. ---Ok I just looked up his stats from '71 - '75. More interceptions that TD's almost each year and only one year with completion >50 %. Was he that bad or is that also a reflection of the team?? I was quite young during that time.

SunnyDenmark said:
Sorry to say I can't add anything about Eason as I was travelling through Europe during the '85 season and especially playoffs. However, I find it surprising no one mentions Jim Plunkett in their top 5-7 Pats QB's. I know some will be upset he left to join those damn Raiders, but still while he was here - he was one of the better players on some dismall Pats teams in the early 70's. ---Ok I just looked up his stats from '71 - '75. More interceptions that TD's almost each year and only one year with completion >50 %. Was he that bad or is that also a reflection of the team?? I was quite young during that time.

I was definitely the latter. Plunkett got beat up pretty good playing behind some horrible offensive lines during his Patriot days. He also had the same misfortune during his two seasons with the 49ers, another bad team at the time. It wasn't until he became a Raider that he finally was able to consistently show why he was a #1 overall draft pick. He was more talented than Eason, just that he played for some bad Pats teams whereas Eason had the good fortune of playing for some of their best teams. I think it's a toss up to decide who was the better Patriots QB.

I agree with those who criticize Eason for being soft, but he also made some good contributions to the organization that helps make up for it.

I for one liked Eason. He was mobile and had a decent arm (had a good touch). IMO, two things played against him in his career, 1. the loss of John Hannah, and 2. the '87 strike season. Losing Hannah changed the entire scheme of the Pats offense in '86. Craig James was their top runner with only 400 yards rushing, yet the team was the best passing offense in the league that year - most of the credit goes to Eason for that 11-5 season. Second, the 1987 strike season destroyed the continuity of the Patriots (and other teams too). By the time 1988 began injuries and age caught up with the major weapons on the Pats offense (Tatupu, James, Morgan).

I understand many fans remember him mostly from Super Bowl XX. How many remember the sequence of events on that first scoring drive? A freak knee blow-out on a perfectly thrown ball to Lin Dawson. A brilliant defensive play by Mike Singletary on a dart to Stanley Morgan in the end zone. Eason was up against fate and one of the greatest teams in NFL history that day.

Sure he was 0-6 against the Bears, but it was nowhere near as ugly a performance as Kordell Stewart had against the Pats in the '96 playoffs (he was 0-10). :)

Brady-To-Branch said:
I agree, Eason played well when he was here. That he was clobbered by the 1985 Bears was nothing to be ashamed about...

BTW, on of the best things about this current dynasty is that it has had a long-reaching, redeeming effect on the past Patriot teams and players. Would we be as freindly toward Eason had the Pats been still searching for their first SB win?

very correct.
i should add that Eason is a typicle example abour our franchise on these years...there was always a 'if', always a 'but', always a 'should'...

sad...

Tony Eason with a better toughness imho could have been a perfect qb

anyway we should re-consider him and consider him definitely a ''good'' Patriot

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back