PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Dungy...(merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tony Dungy...

LOL

Attempts at ad hominem arguments when you know absolutely nothing about me are pretty entertaining. Maybe I appreciate logical arguments (on second thought, maybe I shouldn't come here then). After all, how can someone grow intellectually when all they do is talk to people they agree with all the time? I like to see other people's sides to things.

How was it my "holier-than-thou" opinion? Because I asked for some source credibility on possibly slanderous statements? Doesn't seem to be a connection there....hahaha

BTW, nice try but I'm not from Pennsylvania.

LMAO!!!:rofl: Wow. You must be some kind of barefoot prophet traveling cyberspace and seeking out knowledge on NFL team message boards. Have you by chance suggested this to the Dali Lama, if you did, he would probably become a Patriot's fan and agree that Dungy is no more than a bag of hot air and a second-rate coach compared to the likes of Belichick.

Re: Tony Dungy..

I'd rather be with one hundred Eric Manginis than one Tony Dungy.

What a piece of crap.

I was hoping he would retire this year just so we don't have to listen to his whole preacher man routine. Oh well, maybe next year.

Haha, well it's just strange to me that a "well-known fact" seems to only be "well-known" among Pats fans. And please don't use the "everyone in the NFL knows it," because that's just foolish.

It's amusing how the only vitriol I can find against Dungy comes from NE fans. Why is that? Everywhere else people think he's a great guy and a solid coach. Just because he jokes about spygate? Seriously, people. Get a life and get over yourselves. You don't have to take every spygate comment personally.

BTW, it seems to me that the comment I was originally quoting, which says "He is a hypocrite!" would qualify as slander without proof. I doubt anyone on here could bring me anything that qualifies as proof. And no, pft.com rumors don't count.

How about being part of an organization that bends and breaks the rules, while busting BB and the Pats nuts for same?

How about putting himself out there as this big time religious family first guy, meanwhile...

ahh...never mind. I'm sure if I go there I'll get in trouble again.

If you really cared, it's fairly easy to find. Google is your friend.

It still sickens me everyday we allowed this man to win a championship last year...

And now Eli this year...

Disgusting. I was fine with the ultimate 2002/2005 champions, but the Manning brothers winning the last 2, it's just so wrong.

This, we know.

and it's not slanderous, Mr. Failure Of Our Educational System...it's libelous...that is, if you wish to persist in your ad nauseum defense.You see these little alphabetical letters making up this post? That's called print.Repeat this 5000 times so it gets embedded in your obviously stunted brain pan...slander/spoken....see how easy that was?

oh..BTW..my mistake...of course you're not from Pennsylvania...you're from Planet Moron...I apologize to all the jugheads wolfing down heart attacks on paper plates outside of Primanti Brothers.

Haha, well I'm glad you are admitting that those statements are defamation, if you want me to put it more generally and more "correctly." Boy I'm glad the word police are out today. Of course you attack me for "slander" versus "libel," but you support the people who are doing it? Sad, sad, sad.
And btw, slander can also be:
1. defamation; calumny: rumors full of slander.
2. a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name.

The definition as it applies to lawyers isn't always the full definition.

Seriously. "The Joker" obviously has no reasonable argument besides nitpicking any possible words he can find, and failed and pathetic attempts at personal insults. "Planet Moron?" How droll, and unoriginal. You really showed me.

Haha, it's so funny how you attack me for abusing a word (it's defamation either way you look at it), and yet you hardly have a defined sentence in that mess of a post.

If you're willing to discuss legitimate arguments as to why Tony Dungy is a "hypocrite," I'm all ears. But until people stop saying things without backing up their claims with proof, it's defamation.

Oh, and please show me where I was defending Tony Dungy? I was actually trying to hold people accountable for their statements here. I wasn't necessarily defending Dungy from those statements. Keep trying, though.

Last edited:

Let me just put this out with a broad brush, and leave it at that for you.....

Most team sites are frequented by a lot of quick-triggered homers, and you get a whole lot of vitriol aimed at anyone who dares question anything about their team. This one is not out of the ordinary when it comes to that.

Oh, I understand that perfectly. I was just hoping to be able to discuss this instead of just listening to broad speculation.

Unfortunately, people seem to be more apt to try and aim personal insults directly at me instead of supporting their statements.

How about being part of an organization that bends and breaks the rules, while busting BB and the Pats nuts for same?

How about putting himself out there as this big time religious family first guy, meanwhile...

ahh...never mind. I'm sure if I go there I'll get in trouble again.

If you really cared, it's fairly easy to find. Google is your friend.

Google is indeed my friend. But with all the untrustworthy sources on the internet, unfortunately the internet is not my friend.

Haha, well I'm glad you are admitting that those statements are defamation, if you want me to put it more generally and more "correctly." Boy I'm glad the word police are out today. Of course you attack me for "slander" versus "libel," but you support the people who are doing it? Sad, sad, sad.
And btw, slander can also be:
1. defamation; calumny: rumors full of slander.
2. a malicious, false, and defamatory statement or report: a slander against his good name.

The definition as it applies to lawyers isn't always the full definition.

Seriously. "The Joker" obviously has no reasonable argument besides nitpicking any possible words he can find, and failed and pathetic attempts at personal insults. "Planet Moron?" How droll, and unoriginal. You really showed me.

Haha, it's so funny how you attack me for abusing a word (it's defamation either way you look at it), and yet you hardly have a defined sentence in that mess of a post.

If you're willing to discuss legitimate arguments as to why Tony Dungy is a "hypocrite," I'm all ears. But until people stop saying things without backing up their claims with proof, it's defamation.

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy has caused some controversy in the gay community. Earlier this year, he was criticized for acting as the key note speaker for a foundation which seeks to prohibit gay marriage. This week, the coach again showed his disdain for homosexuality during an interview on HBO’s Costas Now.

Tony Dungy broke down barriers in football by becoming the first Black coach to lead his team to Super Bowl victory, when the Colts bested the Chicago Bears earlier this year.

Following his success, Dungy, a devout Christian, accepted an offer to act as guest speaker at the Focus on the Family yearly banquet.

FOTF is a right wing evangelical group, which devotes most of its efforts to protecting the sanctity of marriage, and has a rigged stance against homosexuals.

Many criticized his decision to attended stating that as a public figure, he was abusing his power by supporting an organization which was obviously discriminatory in practice.

Dungy defended his actions, telling the Indianapolis Star,"I appreciate the stance they're ([FOTF] taking, and I embrace that stance... You can take that and make your decision on which way you want to be. I'm on the Lord's side."

This week, Bob Costas asked Dungy how he would feel if he had a Muslim, Jew, or atheist on his team.

Dungy quickly replied he would have no problem accepting others people’s beliefs.

Costas then asked how he would feel if one of his team members were gay.

After an obviously uncomfortable pause, Dungy answered, "I'm sure I would talk to him about my views on it, what the Bible says about it."

Dungy also said he would show the player respect and said that if he were a good ball player he would keep him on the team.

Reprinted here: http://www.gaywired.com/article.cfm?id=17460&section=67

Google is indeed my friend. But with all the untrustworthy sources on the internet, unfortunately the internet is not my friend.

Uh huh. So your position is "I DEMAND PROOF!"
and also "I REFUSE TO ACCEPT PROOF!"

So essentially you're stacking the argument? Okay, I wish I'd known that a few minutes ago.
See ya!

Let me just put this out with a broad brush, and leave it at that for you.....

Most team sites are frequented by a lot of quick-triggered homers, and you get a whole lot of vitriol aimed at anyone who dares question anything about their team. This one is not out of the ordinary when it comes to that.

Quick triggered homers?

How about people who're just sick of people taking cheap shots at us as fans, and at the team we love?

Quick triggered homers?

Uh huh. So your position is "I DEMAND PROOF!"
and also "I REFUSE TO ACCEPT PROOF!"

So essentially you're stacking the argument? Okay, I wish I'd known that a few minutes ago.
See ya!

Not necessarily. My position is that I'm not the one making these statements, so I shouldn't be the one trying to find defenses for them. By all means, show me something that backs up what people are saying here. But by all accounts, from everywhere I've seen (besides these boards), Tony is a solid Christian who doesn't fit a lot of the statements that are made on here. I'm open to the fact that he might be a hypocrite. But I was asking for sources. I'll keep waiting, but since no one has shown me any, then I'm still doubting.

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy has caused some controversy in the gay community. Earlier this year, he was criticized for acting as the key note speaker for a foundation which seeks to prohibit gay marriage. This week, the coach again showed his disdain for homosexuality during an interview on HBO’s Costas Now.

Tony Dungy broke down barriers in football by becoming the first Black coach to lead his team to Super Bowl victory, when the Colts bested the Chicago Bears earlier this year.

Following his success, Dungy, a devout Christian, accepted an offer to act as guest speaker at the Focus on the Family yearly banquet.

FOTF is a right wing evangelical group, which devotes most of its efforts to protecting the sanctity of marriage, and has a rigged stance against homosexuals.

Many criticized his decision to attended stating that as a public figure, he was abusing his power by supporting an organization which was obviously discriminatory in practice.

Dungy defended his actions, telling the Indianapolis Star,"I appreciate the stance they're ([FOTF] taking, and I embrace that stance... You can take that and make your decision on which way you want to be. I'm on the Lord's side."

This week, Bob Costas asked Dungy how he would feel if he had a Muslim, Jew, or atheist on his team.

Dungy quickly replied he would have no problem accepting others people’s beliefs.

Costas then asked how he would feel if one of his team members were gay.

After an obviously uncomfortable pause, Dungy answered, "I'm sure I would talk to him about my views on it, what the Bible says about it."

Dungy also said he would show the player respect and said that if he were a good ball player he would keep him on the team.

Reprinted here: http://www.gaywired.com/article.cfm?id=17460&section=67

OK? What does any of this have to do with the statements that have been made here against him? How is that hypocritical? The Bible teaches that homosexuality is a sin.

This is pretty much a political issue. What's wrong with taking a stance on a political topic? I'm against universal health care...so what? Suddenly I'm a terrible person and should be hated by everyone in a particular city?

Quick triggered homers?

How about people who're just sick of people taking cheap shots at us as fans, and at the team we love?

Quick triggered homers?

Have you been looking at this thread? Do you see the number of people trying to take cheap shots at me? I really appreciate the fact that you're arguing with me on the actual topic at hand, and didn't just come out slinging sad attempts at insults. I do appreciate these sorts of discussions, even though we may not agree.

LMAO!!!:rofl: Wow. You must be some kind of barefoot prophet traveling cyberspace and seeking out knowledge on NFL team message boards. Have you by chance suggested this to the Dali Lama, if you did, he would probably become a Patriot's fan and agree that Dungy is no more than a bag of hot air and a second-rate coach compared to the likes of Belichick.

Maybe I just like to learn about both sides of the issue. Is that really so bad?

EDIT: Sorry, I should use the multi-quote buttons. But I prefer to respond right after reading something, so I tend to not use it as much as I should.

Last edited:

when Dungy's son killed himself, tony's main concern was his image.

He we frantically tried and successfully was able to get myspace to take down his son's horrible page. His kid was a piece of garbage. It's too bad he died but when you openly praise snipers, you won't have too many people feeling sorry for you.

Dungy's family needed him but he thought it was more important to try and win the Superbowl that year... he kept coaching his 13-1 team and decided not to take time off to be with his family.......which is his choice.

But then are we supposed to believe him this year when he says he might not come back b/c he needs to "be there for his family". your family needed you in 2005 Dungy. He may have fooled some, but i knew he'd keep coaching.

Then on Martin Luther King day Tony Dungy announces he's coming back to coach the Colts.

He has also written a book called "Quiet Strength" which was actually the title of a book written By Rosa Parks.

am i supposed to believe that those 2 events are coincidences?

I guess Tony feels like he can compare himself to Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King. He isn't even in the same universe as them. I think it's sad and he really should be disgusted with himself but he probably thinks they have a lot in common... yep you have a Real tough life Tony...

Maybe I just like to learn about both sides of the issue. Is that really so bad?

EDIT: Sorry, I should use the multi-quote buttons. But I prefer to respond right after reading something, so I tend to not use it as much as I should.

Tony Dungy is no different than many other celebrities that will quickly pull out their proverbial soap box and spew their opinions for everyone to hear on topics they have no credibility or expertise to talk about anymore than some random person on the street. As an NFL head coach, stick to talking about what you know and I'll respect it. As little as anyone really knows about Bill Belichick, the man sticks to talking about football and football alone. He leaves his personal opinions and beliefs to himself. That is a man I would like to sit down in a bar with and talk over a couple beers about all kinds of stuff. I'm sure this is a credit to the type of father he had and says a lot about his character, not how the ******* media tries to portray him. BB doesn't give in to the media and gets raked over the coals for it. Tony Dungy has an itchy trigger finger for a tongue and is quick to rush to judgments and act like he knows better than everyone else based on the stuff I've heard from him.

when Dungy's son killed himself, tony's main concern was his image.

He we frantically tried and successfully was able to get myspace to take down his son's horrible page. His kid was a piece of garbage. It's too bad he died but when you openly praise snipers, you won't have too many people feeling sorry for you.

Dungy's family needed him but he thought it was more important to try and win the Superbowl that year... he kept coaching his 13-1 team and decided not to take time off to be with his family.......which is his choice.

But then are we supposed to believe him this year when he says he might not come back b/c he needs to "be there for his family". your family needed you in 2005 Dungy. He may have fooled some, but i knew he'd keep coaching.

Then on Martin Luther King day Tony Dungy announces he's coming back to coach the Colts.

He has also written a book called "Quiet Strength" which was actually the title of a book written By Rosa Parks.

am i supposed to believe that those 2 events are coincidences?

I guess Tony feels like he can compare himself to Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King. He isn't even in the same universe as them. I think it's sad and he really should be disgusted with himself but he probably thinks they have a lot in common... yep you have a Real tough life Tony...

First of all, yes, his son doesn't sound like the most pleasant person. I agree that no one should "praise snipers" or have some of the disturbing things found in his profile.

However, you seem to assume a lot about Dungy's motives. Considering anyone has to be seriously disturbed in order to kill themselves, it's not necessarily a selfish thing to get myspace to take down the kid's profile. Maybe it was to protect the image of his kid from the media, who plastered it in their articles anyway. Do you think they'd want to remember their son like that? I don't see the legitimacy of assuming he wanted it taken down for his own image. Did you ever think that maybe Dungy's wife was so upset about it, that she wanted it taken down and asked Tony to get them to do it?

I don't think that many people felt too sorry for James Dungy, no. But to lose a child is devastating, whether the child was a great person or not.

People make mistakes. Don't you think that if he realized his son was going to commit suicide, he would have quit football right then and there? Yes, his family needed him in 2005, but that's in the past. He didn't know that was going to happen. Football is obviously something he loves to do, and I'm sure he wouldn't have come back if his family hadn't given their approval. Why do you think he sits down and talks with them about it? Probably because of his son dying. He wants to make sure his family doesn't feel neglected by him.

Oh please. I thought the point about Rosa Parks and MLK Jr. was legitimate. I was thinking "if he literally compared himself to those two in his book or something, then I lost some respect for him." Seriously? I don't think those two events are coincidences either. And the Rosa Parks thing might be a little brash. But that's ridiculous to go from:

A. He announced his return to football on MLK Jr day, and named his book the same as Rosa Parks' to...
B. He thinks he's just like them.

Hahaha. Just because he's black and made a career decision on MLK Jr. day makes you think he believes he's on par with MLK Jr day? Riiight. Maybe you should go after Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson - they seem to have egos enough to think they're similar to MLK Jr, when they're pretty far from it. Do you not like them either?

If you didn't notice, Tony and the rest of us are actually on the same planet (apparently Planet Moron according to the Joker haha). We all have difficult lives. Some may be more difficult than others, and I know he hasn't had to cross racial barriers. But seriously...it sounds more like he's honoring those who came before him, not putting himself up on the pedestal with them.

Tony Dungy is no different than many other celebrities that will quickly pull out their proverbial soap box and spew their opinions for everyone to hear on topics they have no credibility or expertise to talk about anymore than some random person on the street. As an NFL head coach, stick to talking about what you know and I'll respect it. As little as anyone really knows about Bill Belichick, the man sticks to talking about football and football alone. He leaves his personal opinions and beliefs to himself. That is a man I would like to sit down in a bar with and talk over a couple beers about all kinds of stuff. I'm sure this is a credit to the type of father he had and says a lot about his character, not how the ******* media tries to portray him. BB doesn't give in to the media and gets raked over the coals for it. Tony Dungy has an itchy trigger finger for a tongue and is quick to rush to judgments and act like he knows better than everyone else based on the stuff I've heard from him.

Hahaha, because no one rushes to judgments here, obviously. And there's absolutely no judgment of Dungy in any of these posts, most notably this one you just made. I love the double standard.

Hahaha, because no one rushes to judgments here, obviously. And there's absolutely no judgment of Dungy in any of these posts, most notably this one you just made. I love the double standard.

Finally I got to the end of this Thread...what I've learned...

New England Fans Really don't like Tony Dungy...which I'm cool with since he isn't my coach. Very well.

And
LETS GO PITT!!!
PENN STATE SUCKS!!!

Cowards will play Syracuse and Temple but won't play us! 12-0 Got You Last!

oh, and Pats fans for the most part hate Steelers fans, I think. But that's cool with me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes