PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tony Dungy : Coach of the Year (?!?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-ShirtDynasty

Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=58064

COACH OF THE YEAR: Tony Dungy, Colts

**** Vermeil puts it this way about Tony Dungy: "What else does he need to do to prove his value?" Certainly, Dungy did enough this year with his Colts -- a 13-0 start, the best record in the league, another AFC South title -- to impress his peers. Still, it was a difficult season -- a mixture of the elation over his players' achievements and the tragedy of his son's death near the end of the regular season. But through it all Dungy, 50, remained the same: calm, consistent, positive, inspirational. He leads by the strength of his character, not by fiery rhetoric. This was his best Colts team because the defense included more players capable of executing his cover 2 schemes.

"You want to win for him," defensive end Dwight Freeney says, "because he treats you with respect and concern, like an adult. You just hate to let him down."
_
Coach of the Year (Total votes: 26)

Tony Dungy, Colts, 14
Lovie Smith, Bears, 6
Marvin Lewis, Bengals, 3
Mike Holmgren, Seahawks, 2
Jim Haslett, Saints, 1

First, I'm sorry, but 14 votes for Dungy to only 6 for Lovie Smith? WTF is in the water coolers at The Sporting News?

Second, "He leads by the strength of his character, not by fiery rhetoric." Sorry again, but after your QB overrules you on the field for all the world to see not once, but twice in the same year, and you let him get away with it, you're no longer allowed to have lead, leads, leader, or leadership, associated anywhere near your name.

It's just a bunch of politically correct B.S. in reference to his son.

BelichickFan said:

I'm just glad somebody else said it before me. I've got enough enemies around this joint as it is. :D

Sympathy..............tough season for the guy. No way he wasn't going to get it.

huskeralk said:
I'm just glad somebody else said it before me. I've got enough enemies around this joint as it is. :D
That was the cleaned up version of what I really think (regarding his son, nothing racial).

Oh, sh!t, this was an actual award from The Sporting News . . . I had assumed it was one guy. Ouch. First round loser on a team everyone knew would make the playoffs is CoY . . . now that's a joke. It's one thing for the real vote which is before the playoffs but knowing what we know now, it's hard to believe.

Last edited:
basically, COTY has become, whose team has overacheived our preseason predictions....
Based on that, bears win.... if a defending champ went 16-0, would that coach win? no.
dungy was expected to win the afc.. therefore, no coty...
BB gets votes for surviving the injuries.

BelichickFan said:
And someone threw in a nice Katrina-sympathy vote for Haslett, too. :rolleyes:

Just to clarify... this isn't The Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year. This is "The Sporting News" Coach of the Year, voted on by, I assume, Sporting News writers and editors.

NFL Coach of the year went to Lovie Smith, as it should have.

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Just to clarify... this isn't The Associated Press NFL Coach of the Year. This is "The Sporting News" Coach of the Year, voted on by, I assume, Sporting News writers and editors.

NFL Coach of the year went to Lovie Smith, as it should have.

like there is any difference between the two self-promoting groups? that's like saying the taco bell COTY year is ... ...

the NFL should have some nuts and make their own awards; pretty pathetic that a bunch of billionaires dont have the nuts to make a couple awards... like, NFL MVP, for example.

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:
like there is any difference between the two self-promoting groups? that's like saying the taco bell COTY year is ...

the NFL should have some nuts and make their own awards
Well I view the NFL Awards as voted on by the Associated Press to be the awards... as in the ones recognized by the NFL. They don't give two s#its about what The Sporting News has to say. Am I wrong in my perception here?

Either way, to me this doesn't say anything bad about the NFL, but seriously calls into question the sobriety and sincerity of the staff at The Sporting News.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Well I view the NFL Awards as voted on by the Associated Press to be the awards... as in the ones recognized by the NFL. They don't give two s#its about what The Sporting News has to say. Am I wrong in my perception here?

Either way, to me this doesn't say anything bad about the NFL, but seriously calls into question the sobriety and sincerity of the staff at The Sporting News.

just not sure why you count the "AP" awards as the "real" awards? Is the AP better than UPI, or ESPN, or USAToday, or, ... ? Im not trying to say TSN has more cred, but, the NFL should step up and make their own awards... is the NFL the only sports league without their own awards?

besides, the AP has lately been a joke when it comes to both NCAAF and NFL... why would they get ANY cred?

first of all, (wilbon, since i know you are reading this), dungy had a great year.. but, did he exceed any predictions? no. i love the guy... but, simply, no. the colts were expected to be the top team in the AFCC... they never made it. ill admit, cowher took a team that was supposed to be very good to the super bowl... who, (besides berman) predicted the pats in the big show?... we missed out on a couple bad calls... i know it; you know it. Anyways... how do you pick Coach Of The Year? BB lost 45% of his starters; yet held them together to make a nice run.... TD had the frontrunner; had a nice season, but missed out on the AFCC... cowher had a very good team, and held them together to win the AFCC on the road... who is your pick for COTY wilbon? TD, BB, or BC? you can't go wrong, but just make your pick.

PatsWorldChamps said:
just not sure why you count the "AP" awards as the "real" awards? Is the AP better than UPI, or ESPN, or USAToday, or, ... ? Im not trying to say TSN has more cred, but, the NFL should step up and make their own awards... is the NFL the only sports league without their own awards?
PatsWorldChamps said:
besides, the AP has lately been a joke when it comes to both NCAAF and NFL... why would they get ANY cred?
The "AP" award IS the NFL award. The NFL has chosen, for a long time--since 1955, to have the voting on their 'official' awards done by the members Associated Press. Again, if I'm wrong, somebody correct me please.
NFL Coach of the Year Award

T-ShirtDynasty said:
The "AP" award IS the NFL award. The NFL has chosen, for a long time--since 1955, to have the voting on their 'official' awards done by the members Associated Press. Again, if I'm wrong, somebody correct me please.
NFL Coach of the Year Award
that is incorrect. the nfl does not recognize official awards... in 1946 they stopped official awards.. the most glaring example was in 1987, when every organization EXCEPT the AP recognized the NFL MVP as a WR, jerry rice... instead, the AP suggested the very average year of the overrated elway as MVP... since then, the ap has not been considered serious voters of the MVP award.

**** Vermeil puts it this way about Tony Dungy: "What else does he need to do to prove his value?"

I'll go out on a limb on this one.

How about, win something??????

PatsWorldChamps said:
since then, the ap has not been considered serious voters of the MVP award.
No? So when the entire sports world this year recognized and acknowledged Shaun Alexander as the league MVP, which body elected him as such?

Last year when we all bragged that the league MVP, Paymetons Manning, was stopped cold on our field in the playoffs... we were proud of our boys for beating who's choice for MVP?

The year before that, when we were all thrilled to have beaten the league's TWO MVPs to move on to the Super Bowl, who was it that deemed McNair and Manning co-MVPs?

Dungy is a great choice for Coach of the Year. His team won 13 straight, and that's awfully impressive. He probably should have gotten it sooner. After all, his cover 2 is quite famous at this time, and he did give the Colts a defense and made them a team that's likely to keep returning to the playoffs. Would Lovie Smith have been a good choice? Yes. But, his time will come.

This goes to prove that anything that you read in the media you can take with a grain of salt. Opinions are like a-holes and these people have big ones.

Dungy didn't win anything with a healthy team and a very easy schedule. BB went as far as he did using 45 different starters.

And Patters, the Colts are on their way down. This year was their last best chance and they blew it. Jax, Tenn, & Houston are going to improve next year and not give them 5 or 6 easy wins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back