PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom's trouble with plumbers union.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I assume you're in law enforcement?

$60 an hour, assuming a 40 hour workweek (which, I'm not sure if plumbers count their travel ad downtime as billable hours), would be $2400 a week. That's about $120,000 a year. Up here in Buffalo, there are quite a few cops that earn in that range (though I believe they work more than 40 hours).

Yeah here that would be 70+ hours per week every week for the entire year to earn the "living wage" of these plumbers. You could earn $120,000.00 working at subway too if you work enough hours....:eek:

When you read of them earning that much they are working 60-80 hours per week all year long (almost always they have off duty gigs that people rip on but they are still away from thier families almost constantly) The point is they are working almost twice the hours to earn what these plumbers make. It always makes great headlines cops making 100K but the fact is they are working very, very long hours to achieve that...but apparently plumbers making $120K working a 40 hours a week is ok with some.

If the market bares that OK...but don't whine about it when somebody submitted a bid AND YOU DIDN'T...and shocker....the person that bid the job GOT IT...instead of a union plumber who didn't!!!:eek:

I honestly feel the same about these jack A's as I did Ty Law..... go "feed your family". I hope someone holds them to thier threat of giving up thier season tickets I would laugh my A** off if Kraft gave them to someone else.

Those two need to take a douche with a high pressure fire hose!

Not recommended. My ex-wife tried this and complained about a funny taste in her mouth for days afterward.

My old man and about 2500 other hard-working SOB's got their legs cut out from under them some years ago by a greedy union. The greedy management moved operations to Mexico.

And the world keeps spinnin'. Go figure?

If the market bares that OK
That's the point, the market doesn't bear it without undue pressure. Most plumbing work can be done by a handyman for far less - I'm not talking about big jobs, just routine stuff.

If I'm having a house built I'll pay a plummer. If I have a block or a leak I'll pay a handyman.

That's the point, the market doesn't bear it without undue pressure. Most plumbing work can be done by a handyman for far less - I'm not talking about big jobs, just routine stuff.

If I'm having a house built I'll pay a plummer. If I have a block or a leak I'll pay a handyman.

I agree. I'm just saying that I don't begrudge anyone making $61/hr for what I consider a easy job, boring but not rocket science (rocket scientists..who only make $37.32/hr..;) ) Good for you that you mkae that but don't expect sympathy from me about a "living wage".

One poster stated they couldn't install a toilet and neither could we probably. I responded that I have installed toilets in my houses and copper pipe, water heaters, sinks ect. and it is EASY. $61/hr...ppplleeeaase. These guys are a joke and anyone that thinks they are "worth" that wage needs thier head examined.

Last edited:
These guys are a joke and anyone that thinks they are "worth" that wage needs thier head examined.[/QUOTE]

* There's a long list of occupations that one could say the people doing them make more than they're worth. Who decides what an occupation is worth?

The unions always cry when they need the work. I think that the only thing that Tom should be at fault for is not hiring a contractor who uses only union subcontractors. Maybee he didn't know. I only say this because Tom belongs to a union. I am sure Tom isn't penny pinching here. He probably hired this contractor because he thought he go do the work, to his satisfaction, and could get it done in a timely fashion. As far as some of you attitudes towards plumbers you are way off base. I don't know what kind of work you people do, but as a plumber (who works construction) if I can't get a decent wage I'll go work at Burger King. All construction workers make good money compared to unskilled labor for one reason only. Because the work sucks. I think that the majority of construction workers would give it up in a heartbeat and take your jobs at less money given the chance. By the way, no construction worker gets paid anything when there out of work either.

I am not sure how you came up with $60.00 an hour. Around here the wage is about $30.00 with a $20.00 benifit package. (I am not in the union either) To all you people that think plumbing is easy - you might be right, but I find that most people that come into the trade cannot do the work. I agree that changing a hot water heater is easy, but you would be surprised how many people would screw it up.

I'm part of the IBEW 99 (Electrical workers union) and this kind of stuff just kills me. I mean, did they really think the whole thing through? Did they realize the target they chose? It's one thing to go after someone notorious and get publicity but to go after someone famous AND beloved like Brady is in New England to prove a point is just idiotic.

If a union shop didn't bother to bid it it's because they didn't think they could make money off of it. Plumbers however just want the work because in the short-term it's a paycheck and it doesn't matter if the contractor is in the red.

This is so much of a non-issue but I do hope those ******s do boycott as long as they don't scalp their tickets at too high a price.

If they were sincere they'd sell 'em back at regular price, right? ;-)

In case anybody was still curious . I walked up Beacon today and the Picketers were still there. :confused:

A union trying to guilt-trip someone is the stupidest thing going. There's a place for Unions, that's for sure, but there's no place for their bull**** and their strong-arming tactics on cases like this one. And I don't care if it's Tom's house. I'd react the same way if it wer - gulp - Peyton Manning's house.

The whole "We're union, therefore you OWE us by hiring us" stance is pure, 100%, unadultered CRAP. As long as unions act like that, I will be glad to hire non-union only "skilled" workers.

A union trying to guilt-trip someone is the stupidest thing going. There's a place for Unions, that's for sure, but there's no place for their bull**** and their strong-arming tactics on cases like this one. And I don't care if it's Tom's house. I'd react the same way if it wer - gulp - Peyton Manning's house.

The whole "We're union, therefore you OWE us by hiring us" stance is pure, 100%, unadultered CRAP. As long as unions act like that, I will be glad to hire non-union only "skilled" workers.

Before we bash labors unions too much, people should realize that

their efforts trickle down to white collar workers. If labor unions

years ago had not stood up to brutal management types, we would have all

received a mere pittance for our services while owners grew richer and

richer. Look at the million dollar salaries given to top executives.

A pox on both their houses. It's no better to demand ridiculously over-priced union scale wages than it is for executives to pull down their unbelievable salaries and perks -- BOTH are way out of line. The reason U.S. manufacturing companies have gone down the hopper in the past four decades is directly related to both unions and management skinning the cow that feeds them both, that would be us, the public, who pays out the kazoo for both.

//

Last edited:
OMG!!

I THOUGHT WE WERE DONE WITH THIS POST/THREAD AND IT WAS LONG AND BURIED,BUT SOMEONE DUG IT UP!! :eek:

1. top execs *generate* billions of dollars, hence are paid millions of dollars. Plumbers don't, hence they don't make that dough. The same applies to ball players. Should they be paid millions of dollars? Hell, some of them can't flippin' read, for pete's sake. But as a team, they generate hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue for their team, which justifies their salaries. And btw, when they act like complete idiots - see Jones, Pacman, or any other athlete ******ed enough to say bull like "I gotta feed my family" - we nail them to the wall.

2. My post did specify that there was a place for unions. I am not saying that unions are 100% bad. I am saying that when they act the way they did in this case, they invite all the negative criticism that comes their way.

Saying top execs generate billions of dollars is like saying the guy who hit the button at Alamagordo personally split the atom. Execs don't *generate* more revenue than all of the other employees in your average company. Like football, a business is a team game.

Yeah, and it's not like our team turned around when a new Coach showed up or anything...

I proudly belong to a union myself, but there is no way in HADES that you can compare these chumps to the people that started forming unions in the late 19th and early 20th century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back