PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tommy Kelly Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easley outplayed him from the tub? Siliga and Jones outplayed him and are ready to start? Worthy outplayed him in the preseason? really?
Roster decisions are not based on who missed time early in camp, they are based on who gives the team the best chance to win.

I think you might be projecting there just a touch.
Of course I am, that is how you make roster decision.

I say that the Patriots are going younger based on their projections on how an injured Easley, two young injured backups and a guy who has played a handful of plays might project, but that's not what i said, is it?
If Kelly was still the player he was last year, he would be on the team. Of course his play NOW and his condition NOW has everything to do with him being cut.
Do you not recognize that the way he was practicing and playing led to trading for more DTs?

Easley didn't play or outplay anyone in preseason games. I imagine they are encouraged by his rehab and limited practice, but he outplayed no one. Nor did the others, most likely.
Kelly may have set the bar very low with his level of play, which seems apparent by his being cut.

As I said, I think he is not recovered enough from his injury to be effective. This may have been a mutual decision. I didn't see a lot out of him on the field, other than being there.

As far as names it appears they are Wilfork, Easley, Siliga, Vellano, Jones, Worthy or some combination there of.

Your argument is a tautology, by the way.

Your argument will always be true. If your proof is, whoever makes the team played the best, than the ones that made the team must have played better than the ones that didn't.

It's a circular argument. Lawrence Taylor could get cut because he had a coke filled crime spree, so if Gary Guyton makes the team, it means Gary Guyton outplayed Lawrence taylor, because making the team is the proof, in your argument.

gotta go......

In my opinion, younger players showing potential was enough to cut a 33 year old coming off knee surgery, given the remarkable comeback of Wilfork. They need to turn the position over and need to develop younger guys. I could be wrong.

Your argument will always be true. If your proof is, whoever makes the team played the best, than the ones that made the team must have played better than the ones that didn't.
No because I didn't say playing the best in preseason games is how roster decisions are made. I said quite the opposite in fact.

It's a circular argument. Lawrence Taylor could get cut because he had a coke filled crime spree, so if Gary Guyton makes the team, it means Gary Guyton outplayed Lawrence taylor, because making the team is the proof, in your argument.
That is not what I said. Sure you can call my argument anything you want if you ignore what I said and make up what you wish I did.
In this example Taylor wouldn't be available to play, so Guyton would be a better player for the team in the upcoming season, would he not?

Some things are more important than money. It kills me to watch someone like Mucho stinko pick up a check every week and still have to have someone physically push him into the proper position after almost a full season.

Conversely, I appreciate a real pro coming in and being probably the best tackle on the team last year when he played and being cut for reasons other than his play this preseason (when he would have started alongside Wilfork if merit was the only consideration). He played well, he played hurt and worked his ass off to rehab at age 33 and reportedly play as well as ever this camp.

I appreciate that.

You don't have to.
The thing is Kelly may have been cut for his play this preseason. He played in all 3 games and did register a tackle, assist, sack, QB hit, or QB pressure. Whereas Vellano who played a similar number of snaps has 3 QB hits and 5 QB pressures.

Did I think he was going to get cut, no I would be lying if I said I did. That said he did not do anything to earn a spot on the 53 any more than he did something to get cut.

Not really sure he was here long enough to have one of these threads but hell why not? I liked Kelly and I think he'll be back at some point tbh.

he is meeting with cards...they need DL help bad

No because I didn't say playing the best in preseason games is how roster decisions are made. I said quite the opposite in fact.

That is not what I said. Sure you can call my argument anything you want if you ignore what I said and make up what you wish I did.
In this example Taylor wouldn't be available to play, so Guyton would be a better player for the team in the upcoming season, would he not?

Players that play the best don't give the team "the best chance to win?"

Not really sure he was here long enough to have one of these threads but hell why not? I liked Kelly and I think he'll be back at some point tbh.

Well, I think there's already a Tom Brady appreciation thread, so I decided I would let him know I appreciate his effort and professionalism trying to play through and rehabbing from a knee injury requiring surgery at 33.

Had things been different, say Siliga and Chris Jones hadn't received their trial by fire, or Wilfork had experienced the problems we all thought he would, he could conceivably have played quite a bit this year.

I didn't say he was suspended.

that's one damn fine tautogology you're holding there, RC...

blackfishdave.jpg

If Kelly was still the player he was last year, he would be on the team. Of course his play NOW and his condition NOW has everything to do with him being cut.
Do you not recognize that the way he was practicing and playing led to trading for more DTs?

You don't think there's any reason to trade for young DTs even if Kelly was playing well, given hi and Vince's age
?

If Kelly was cut because their other newer DTs all gave the Pats the "best chance to win now", wouldn't they have opted for some experienced tackles too?

Seems like they are going for youth, and they should, even if the short term best player is a 33 year old coming off an injury. Why wouldn't we think a planner like BB is favoring the young players, after all none of them are older than 24, that can't be a coincidence. If he always only used the players who gave him the best chance to win now, like many do, he'd end up with all old, high priced players.

Some things are more important than money. It kills me to watch someone like Mucho stinko pick up a check every week and still have to have someone physically push him into the proper position after almost a full season.

Conversely, I appreciate a real pro coming in and being probably the best tackle on the team last year when he played and being cut for reasons other than his play this preseason (when he would have started alongside Wilfork if merit was the only consideration). He played well, he played hurt and worked his ass off to rehab at age 33 and reportedly play as well as ever this camp.

I appreciate that.

You don't have to.

I hope he goes the Cards and fills in for Dockery, while Dockery heals. If we are dumb in a selection of LBs, one could end up there filing in for Wsahington/Mintner as well. I called for a "Redemption in the Desert" in February. It has good prospects if the Cards can patch their injury losses

I hope he goes the Cards and fills in for Dockery, while Dockery heals. If we are dumb in a selection of LBs, one could end up there filing in for Wsahington/Mintner as well. I called for a "Redemption in the Desert" in February. It has good prospects if the Cards can patch their injury losses

Good point, and while true, it would end up hurting us if Kelly knocked Sopoaga off the 53 man roster. We are able to be reimbursed up to 1 million dollars on next year's cap if Sopoaga gets his pact picked up.

If Kelly was cut because their other newer DTs all gave the Pats the "best chance to win now", wouldn't they have opted for some experienced tackles too?

Seems like they are going for youth, and they should, even if the short term best player is a 33 year old coming off an injury. Why wouldn't we think a planner like BB is favoring the young players, after all none of them are older than 24, that can't be a coincidence. If he always only used the players who gave him the best chance to win now, like many do, he'd end up with all old, high priced players.

Agreed.

Plus in a recent post someone quoted bb saying that sometimes the edge on personnel decisions goes to who has more upside or a higher potential. ...

So, it isn't true that FIVE other DTs had to outplay him in camp for him to get cut, if only 2-3 outplayed him and the others look like they can be just as good by December or better next year ( and cost less being rookies/ on rookie contracts) then the writing is on the wall.

I liked the way Kelly played before he was hurt. After the watching the first couple of games last year, I thought that he should be playing DT in the sub package over Wilfork. Hope he gets another accrued season in before he retires.

50% - He's picked up quickly by another team
50% - He's back here after Week 1 for contract non-guarantee reasons

I think he's gone. If BB saw enough from Silig-Jones worthy and Easley's healthy, he's going to take time away from a player they'll need for the future. Can't develop if you don't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back