PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tommy Kelly Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I never do these but, since he probably is looking to stick somewhere and has some football left in him, i thought it appropriate. Consummate professional, played in pain until he had to get surgery, then rehabbed and played as well as ever.

Just business, I'd say. Since they need to turn over the tackles soon, I guess there's no sense going with two old guys and taking snaps a way from our interior line of the future.

Thanks Tommy, I wish the knee had held up so we could have watched you more. True Patriot.

Ya wish he was still here but it's business. I remember last year when he came back to practice for 1 day and then word came down of surgery. Was very strange.

Ya wish he was still here but it's business. I remember last year when he came back to practice for 1 day and then word came down of surgery. Was very strange.

He's old school. would probably play with his leg hanging off, like Vince Crazy Glued hie achilles tendon.:D

He's old school. would probably play with his leg hanging off, like Vince Crazy Glued hie achilles tendon.:D

Yup. I'll be honest in that I figured he might be one of the veterans let go early, give them a chance to catch on elsewhere and keep playing. That's a sign of respect in my book.

I didn't want to see Kelly go, but I know it's business, and with that absolute level of 53 players, Coach has to do what's best for the team. Tough call to make, but apparently in his eyes it was the right one.

I hope Kelly catches on somwhere else to finish out his career, just hopefully on a team we aren't playing aginst this season. :cool:

I agree with your main thoughts here, RayClay. Good luck to Tommy Kelly--no doubt.

That said, the guy played a total of FIVE games here in 2013, and was paid for his services.

I actually thought Kelly worked hard and stayed in good football game condition. I think he had something to offer the team. Not sure he could still pressure the QB but I think he could still eat up blockers. However the team must believe they have DTs who are better. Hello Jerel Worthy and Dominique Eeasley as well as Siliga who is shown to be better than average taking on blockers.

Coaching must like what they have in Worthy/easley/Siliga. Siliga with Wilfork set the tone with power. easley is the pass rusher and Worthy can do both. DLine is shaping up

Good luck to him. I root for the players, BB makes the decisions -- it's worked out fine so far.

I agree with your main thoughts here, RayClay. Good luck to Tommy Kelly--no doubt.

That said, the guy played a total of FIVE games here in 2013, and was paid for his services.

Don't understand your point. He had an ACL injury and still tried to play through it. He played hard and well whenever he physically could.

Surprised by the move - but not blown away. Gives me added confidence in this D, if we are cutting players that would have stuck here in recent years.

I agree with the sentiment to wish Tommy Kelly well in the future, but I am not sure what we are appreciative of; he played 221 snaps for the New England Patriots.

Don't understand your point. He had an ACL injury and still tried to play through it. He played hard and well whenever he physically could.
No offense but I do not understand why you find it so admirable that an NFL player paid millions of dollars to play is willing to play through an injury. The average income in the US is under $50K and people go to work sick and injured all the time. Tommy Kelly had $31,250 per game roster bonus last season, so while you think he was playing through agony for the good of the team it likely had much to do with him just wanting the per game money.

No offense but I do not understand why you find it so admirable that an NFL player paid millions of dollars to play is willing to play through an injury. The average income in the US is under $50K and people go to work sick and injured all the time. Tommy Kelly had $31,250 per game roster bonus last season, so while you think he was playing through agony for the good of the team it likely had much to do with him just wanting the per game money.

Some things are more important than money. It kills me to watch someone like Mucho stinko pick up a check every week and still have to have someone physically push him into the proper position after almost a full season.

Conversely, I appreciate a real pro coming in and being probably the best tackle on the team last year when he played and being cut for reasons other than his play this preseason (when he would have started alongside Wilfork if merit was the only consideration). He played well, he played hurt and worked his ass off to rehab at age 33 and reportedly play as well as ever this camp.

I appreciate that.

You don't have to.

Surprised by this cut. Wish Tommy Kelly well.

Some things are more important than money. It kills me to watch someone like Mucho stinko pick up a check every week and still have to have someone physically push him into the proper position after almost a full season.

Conversely, I appreciate a real pro coming in and being probably the best tackle on the team last year when he played and being cut for reasons other than his play this preseason (when he would have started alongside Wilfork if merit was the only consideration). He played well, he played hurt and worked his ass off to rehab at age 33 and reportedly play as well as ever this camp.

I appreciate that.

You don't have to.
I disagree that he is being cut for reasons other than his play.

I disagree that he is being cut for reasons other than his play.

4-5 guys outplayed him in camp this year and are ready to start the season?

Name them.

Name them.
4-5 guys are believed by Bill Bellichick that they will play better this season.
Certainly you don't think BB cut him in order to weaken the team?

My guess is that the knee is still bothering him and that he either sits out a few months or retires.

Name them.
As far as names it appears they are Wilfork, Easley, Siliga, Vellano, Jones, Worthy or some combination there of.

As far as names it appears they are Wilfork, Easley, Siliga, Vellano, Jones, Worthy or some combination there of.

Easley outplayed him from the tub? Siliga and Jones outplayed him and are ready to start? Worthy outplayed him in the preseason? really?

I think you might be projecting there just a touch.

I say that the Patriots are going younger based on their projections on how an injured Easley, two young injured backups and a guy who has played a handful of plays might project, but that's not what i said, is it?

Easley didn't play or outplay anyone in preseason games. I imagine they are encouraged by his rehab and limited practice, but he outplayed no one. Nor did the others, most likely.

Easley outplayed him from the tub? Siliga and Jones outplayed him and are ready to start? Worthy outplayed him in the preseason? really?

I think you might be projecting there just a touch.

I say that the Patriots are going younger based on their projections on how an injured Easley, two young injured backups and a guy who has played a handful of plays might project, but that's not what i said, is it?

Easley didn't play or outplay anyone in preseason games. I imagine they are encouraged by his rehab and limited practice, but he outplayed no one. Nor did the others, most likely. I guess Vellano might have outplayed everyone but Wilfork. at least it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing