PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomasse 2008 and now Chris Mortenson's 2015 false reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The day before we went for the perfect season in February 2008, John Tomasse reported that the Patriots
taped the Rams walk through before the Patriots first superbowl victory.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3398828

After is was reported that the NFL was investigating the Patriots footballs PSI, Craig Mortenson reported that 11 of 12 footballs were underinflated by 2 psi. The media and ex NFL players jumped all over this report and dragged the Patriots mud.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

Now the most recent report says that only 1 of 12 footballs was underinflated by 2psi. The majority were only a tad under the required 12.5 psi.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-165514858.html;_ylt=A0LEVyABf85U.wUAvMdXNyoA

Now, I am not here to say that Ian Rappaport is 100% accurate, but I am willing to bet that Mortenson's report is incorrect.

The media should be held accountable for their actions. If their false reports hurt the Patriots name, they should be hit with a slander lawsuit.

I'm being told ESPN is holding him accountable right now. He's in the boss' office getting a raise.

I hear ESPN is going to outsource their fact checking to the National Enquirer.

I think its important to recognize where Mort's leak came from. I am 100% sure it came from the NFL offices. The NFL created this entire mess. What their actual end game was and is, is anyone's guess?

Mort's a douche but he got this from the NFL, so what does that make the league?

GO PATS!!!

I'm guessing that BSPN will have to offer the same kind of half ass apology like the Hearld did.

It's ridiculous!

I think its important to recognize where Mort's leak came from. I am 100% sure it came from the NFL offices. The NFL created this entire mess. What their actual end game was and is, is anyone's guess?

Mort's a douche but he got this from the NFL, so what does that make the league?

GO PATS!!!

Not to be facetious, but where else could it have come from?

Maybe it's all just a media *********** intended to boost the ratings. Perhaps we have all been played.

Mortensen is the king of it is better to be first and apologize later for being wrong than being right.

Actually, I am wrong, Mort has never learned how to do the apologize later part.

Is anyone in the media really held accountable?

In advance...i will tell you I'm not joking when I say this.

Afer this last week, I am convinced Mort's original source was a bitter, drunk and as always...stupid...Jim Irsay. Amongst the small men that own NFL franchises....Irsay is the saddest and most pathetic.

Secondly...if you look at Mort's sources...they are usually from the bottom feeders of the NFL...Raiders...Browns ...etc. This guy is no Schefter.

Desperate for relevance like most in his profession...he went with it. At this point in his career he had nothing to lose...more importantly...when has anyone in the media ever been held accountable?

Maybe it's all just a media *********** intended to boost the ratings. Perhaps we have all been played.

Are we (the collective fans of the NFL) being played by the media, the NFL, or both?

How the NFL Made a Fool of You with Deflategate

The fact that you so willingly fell into this trap is a testament to just how much power the NFL has over you. They handed you the narrative that they knew you wanted. They figured they could solve the “indignity” that the league had suffered at the hands of the mighty cheating Patriots by throwing the book at the "bad guys”. They’d even do it to Bob Kraft to show you how they don’t play favorites.

What better way to help solve an image issue than align yourself with the masses against a common enemy? Bravo to Goodell. He "cracked down" on cheating without further angering any of the NFL owners that already don't like him.​

As with Tomase's made up story, the truth isn't going to matter in this case. A certain percentage of people are always going to believe the Patriots did something wrong, regardless of the facts.

The Patriots got the Richard Jewell/Duke Lacrosse/UVA fraternity treatment in this story. They have to deal with the fallout while Mortensen continues on, business as usual.

The sheer amount of anti-Patriots negativity out there even just TODAY is unbelievable. Everywhere but here. Our own local media isn't letting up, and Pats "fans" calling in to both radio stations act either like we've already lost or are speculating why we will lose.

The sheer amount of anti-Patriots negativity out there even just TODAY is unbelievable. Everywhere but here. Our own local media isn't letting up, and Pats "fans" calling in to both radio stations act either like we've already lost or are speculating why we will lose.

Oh good...it wasn't just me being a paranoid, oversensitive fan.

Well, nobody has ever been wrong more than Chris Mortenson. Apologies to Charlie Casserly. You're number two now.

Is anyone in the media really held accountable?
Nope, and neither is the NFL league office for letting these calculated misreprensentations of the truth be syphoned out of that office.

The investigation that needs to happen is what the NFLPA should call for and the league office and Goodell should have their feet held to the flame for the leaks that have led to an uncontrollable media frenzy.

Goodell-Former Jet Employee
Kensil-Former Jet Employee
Blandino-NY guy and lifelong Jet fan

Tell me this BS doesn't stink to high hell.

The day before we went for the perfect season in February 2008, John Tomasse reported that the Patriots
taped the Rams walk through before the Patriots first superbowl victory.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3398828

After is was reported that the NFL was investigating the Patriots footballs PSI, Craig Mortenson reported that 11 of 12 footballs were underinflated by 2 psi. The media and ex NFL players jumped all over this report and dragged the Patriots mud.
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

Now the most recent report says that only 1 of 12 footballs was underinflated by 2psi. The majority were only a tad under the required 12.5 psi.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-165514858.html;_ylt=A0LEVyABf85U.wUAvMdXNyoA

Now, I am not here to say that Ian Rappaport is 100% accurate, but I am willing to bet that Mortenson's report is incorrect.

The media should be held accountable for their actions. If their false reports hurt the Patriots name, they should be hit with a slander lawsuit.

If it's writing, it's libel and that's not how it works. He didn't libel anyone, he wrote a questionable article usibg an anonymous source for a publication who doesn't care about it's reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back