PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase thinks Belichick stays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belicheks deal with the Patriots is akin to Larry Bird's deal with the Celtics, he names his price and they pay it without a second thought. Belichek and Pioli have worked hard to build a great franchise and they did so with the intention of staying here and running it for a long time. They aren't going to pack up and start over somewhere else just for the sake of it, which is what has basically neen suggested for several years by a variety of sources.

There are several NFL franchises whose revenue generation and Value are lagging significantly behind others' (among them the Chargers and 49ers). For teams like this, it would make economic sense to pay Belichick a ridiculous amount of money (north of $10 per year) if they were convinced that Revenues would grow and their own value would increase as a result.

The Patriots have a very high Value and are generating substantial revenues, but their Operating Margin lags because of the debt incurred for the purchase and/or improvement of Real Estate, most notably, but not solely, the Blade. So, there might be some internal limit that the Krafts have put on what they might pay BB (same goes for Pioli).

So, if it's a purely economic decision, it's not 100% certain that the Patriots keep Coach.

However, I'm one of those who think that money isn't BB's only motivator, that he sees a chance to be considered among the eternal coaching elite (Brown, Halas, Lombardi) by sticking with the Patriots and that the Krafts just have to continue to be reasonable and give him the tools to win in order to keep him in New England for the rest of his career.

There are several NFL franchises whose revenue generation and Value are lagging significantly behind others' (among them the Chargers and 49ers). For teams like this, it would make economic sense to pay Belichick a ridiculous amount of money (north of $10 per year) if they were convinced that Revenues would grow and their own value would increase as a result.

The Patriots have a very high Value and are generating substantial revenues, but their Operating Margin lags because of the debt incurred for the purchase and/or improvement of Real Estate, most notably, but not solely, the Blade. So, there might be some internal limit that the Krafts have put on what they might pay BB (same goes for Pioli).

So, if it's a purely economic decision, it's not 100% certain that the Patriots keep Coach.

However, I'm one of those who think that money isn't BB's only motivator, that he sees a chance to be considered among the eternal coaching elite (Brown, Halas, Lombardi) by sticking with the Patriots and that the Krafts just have to continue to be reasonable and give him the tools to win in order to keep him in New England for the rest of his career.

Kraft just spent a gajillion dollars on what is essentially a pats branded shopping complex and hotel. a 10 million dollar a year investment to keep that brand strong is nothing. you are right that some of the other teams would consider breaking the bank for BB but that in no way means Kraft wouldn't match or that BB would have any interest in going elsewhere even for more money. plenty of his players have picked NE over more money. why wouldn't he?

edit: and just to be clear, i'm not jumping on you, just trying to illustrate that on the one side we've got a metric ****load of support for BB staying and on the side we've got, at best, grasping at straws.

Last edited:
I don't like Tomase at all. I find him to be incredibly annoying. But I like Breer quite a bit and I'm glad The Herald has been putting more effort into covering the Pats this year.

Kraft just spent a gajillion dollars on what is essentially a pats branded shopping complex and hotel. a 10 million dollar a year investment to keep that brand strong is nothing. you are right that some of the other teams would consider breaking the bank for BB but that in no way means Kraft wouldn't match or that BB would have any interest in going elsewhere even for more money. plenty of his players have picked NE over more money. why wouldn't he?

edit: and just to be clear, i'm not jumping on you, just trying to illustrate that on the one side we've got a metric ****load of support for BB staying and on the side we've got, at best, grasping at straws.

As I said in my post, I'm one of those who think that there's more than money involved here and that BB stays.

Also, though, given his track record, I'm not sure that Kraft will match an outrageous offer from one of the teams I mentioned. BB, like many of his players, may well have to decide to stay for less money than he can make elsewhere. I think he would.

If the Patriots win another SB this year or next, I also think that the brand will have evolved to where it can sustain the loss or losses of any individuals. I think Kraft is betting on this with his "Patriot Place" plans. Of the top three teams by Value and Revenue, the Redskins (1) haven't been to a SB in 15 years and the Cowboys (3) haven't been in 11 years. These are two of the most clearly and strongly branded teams in any sport, anywhere. The Patriots are (2) in value and challenging them in branding. So, we could get to a point in the relatively near future where no individual is bigger than the brand, even BB or TB. We're not quite there yet. (I'm talking about branding that transcends Boston or New England or even the entire Northeast and makes "New England Patriots" a nationally and even globally recognized trademark.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes