PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase take on 5 things Pats need to do before playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeSixPat said:
Again, I think you've just slightly misinterpreted the concerns of Tomase and others in their view of "unimaginative playcalling"... its not simply about how many times they put the ball in the air or on the ground. It's HOW they do it - hence his noting the 12 yard bungee cord, or, in terms of the misplayed routes, and the lowest in the NFL 53% completion rate.

If run/pass balance were all we were talking about for "balance" it wouldn't matter if Brady had a 10% competion rate, as long as we were running it 50% of the time - obviously THAT would generate a high degree of criticism regardless of how often the ball were run, and THAT would firmly establish that the playcalling, personnel or both were seriously flawed. Thankfully its no where near that bad - but still the worst completion rate in the NFL.

Ron Jaworski has similar comments in the Globe today

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...06/10/16/new_look_patriots_are_turning_heads/

You make good points and that's fair. Unfortunately Tomase's article just struck a chord with me. He brought out that familiar mantra of criticising the offensive coordinator (gee there's an easy target) and basically used one example to define an "unimaginitive offense" (which is eerily reminescant of the complaints about the Pats offense in 2001), with his remedy being to bring the new kid Jackson up to speed. Lots of words, not saying much new or informative (frankly your points have more substance, and I mean that in a good way).

The Patriots offense has played well enough to win 4 out of 5 games. I'm enjoying watching a new offense with new personnel learn the ropes. I think with the new offense comes a new mindset, for the players and the fans. Just my 2 cents.

JoeSixPat said:
Again, I think you've just slightly misinterpreted the concerns of Tomase and others in their view of "unimaginative playcalling"... its not simply about how many times they put the ball in the air or on the ground. It's HOW they do it - hence his noting the 12 yard bungee cord, or, in terms of the misplayed routes, and the lowest in the NFL 53% completion rate.

If run/pass balance were all we were talking about for "balance" it wouldn't matter if Brady had a 10% competion rate, as long as we were running it 50% of the time - obviously THAT would generate a high degree of criticism regardless of how often the ball were run, and THAT would firmly establish that the playcalling, personnel or both were seriously flawed. Thankfully its no where near that bad - but still the worst completion rate in the NFL.

Ron Jaworski has similar comments in the Globe today

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...06/10/16/new_look_patriots_are_turning_heads/

Your quote from Jaworski, and essentially every single post NEM ever makes, overlooks the rest of what Jaworski was saying:

``I think it does take time to develop a chemistry with the new receivers. You have to alter your offense a bit, but I wouldn't say you can't win. I think of Tampa Bay winning the Super Bowl in 2002 and they did it with Jon Gruden being very creative, with a lot of picks and rubs, cluster sets. He would free people up by design. You're seeing more of that in this [Patriots] offense. They're doing a good job designing plays tailored to the strength of their players."

Now, I'm pretty sure that a comment like this runs about 180º counter to the arguments being put forth by NEM and yourself. NEM doesn't surprise me, because, since I started following this board, I've discovered that he's a one note singer who's always off key. But, you even cited to the post, yet ignored that key comment, and that was unfair of you.

Deus Irae said:
Your quote from Jaworski, and essentially every single post NEM ever makes, overlooks the rest of what Jaworski was saying:

Now, I'm pretty sure that a comment like this runs about 180º counter to the arguments being put forth by NEM and yourself.

Not at all - no one who has been critical of the current play or playcalling of the offense thinks there's no hope for improvement.

In fact I spent half the offseason pitching Chad Jackson as a draft pick and the next half reminding everyone that you can't expect a rookie to step in and contribute at a #2 WR level.

We're talking about the current playcalling and the current performance of the guys on the field. It's simply not where it needs to be. Jaworski and Simms both admit this.

But suggesting that they need to improve seems to be met with a lot of hostility in this forum.

There are plenty of people who seem to be drinking a particular type of Koolaid here and believe that, as of today, we're ready to compete and win the Super Bowl

Barring major improvements in our offensive play and playcalling - we're not.

Out of everything Tomase says about the CERTAINTY of winning the division he does not mention 'unless Brady has an injury' -THAT COULD CHANGE THINGS

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Not at all - no one who has been critical of the current play or playcalling of the offense thinks there's no hope for improvement.

In fact I spent half the offseason pitching Chad Jackson as a draft pick and the next half reminding everyone that you can't expect a rookie to step in and contribute at a #2 WR level.

We're talking about the current playcalling and the current performance of the guys on the field. It's simply not where it needs to be. Jaworski and Simms both admit this.

But suggesting that they need to improve seems to be met with a lot of hostility in this forum.

There are plenty of people who seem to be drinking a particular type of Koolaid here and believe that, as of today, we're ready to compete and win the Super Bowl

Barring major improvements in our offensive play and playcalling - we're not.

Here's what you said earlier:

I think criticisms of McDaniel's playcalling go a little bit beyond how many running plays and how many passing plays the OC calls.

Even if that were the case, one would need to look beyond the split of runs and passes to determine how effective the running game and passing game is.

In the case of the passing game, I might be mistaken but I believe our completion rate is among the lowest in the AFC. The running game, thanks to Dillaroney, has been more effective, but has yet to prove it can dominate a team that is good against the run.

Hence the criticisms of playcalling and personnel.

You then followed that up with a quote from Jaworski about the personnel but omitted the quote he made regarding the play calling. And, the reason is simple: Jaworski said the opposite of what you're claiming he said. What he said was quite clear:

They're doing a good job designing plays tailored to the strength of their players.

That's not him criticizing the play calling, it's him praising the offensive coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back