PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase: Samuel beat deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an interesting tidbit:

Other agents privately wondered what kind of advice he was receiving from representative Alonzo Shavers, but in truth, it appeared Samuel struck out on his own. When Shavers was reached last weekend to confirm a report that Samuel would be back with the Patriots this week, he said he didn’t know.

If it is true that he dumped his agent (or at least his advice) and came in on his own, that goes far in my eyes. I've always felt that, like the Deion Branch episode, when the contract negotiations are carried out in the press, its the agent who is benefiting - not the client. Props for Asante for recognizing the position he was in and taking charge of his situation.

R

I don't think the story is the Assante played it wrong. It's more about the Pats playing it right. They played the Franchise tag to see if Assante is worth a long term deal. Last Year was his biggest year and he's getting old, for a DB. I bet if he plays well this year, the pats will deal him. They won't franchise him and they'll take whatever good players/picks they think he is worth. Assante wanted a deal because he was huge last year and he figured he could get a deal, if not with the pats, with a team willing to pay. The Pats franchised him because they want to get everything they can out of him. If his stock goes up this year it will be better for NE because we'll be able to get younger equal talent.

I don't quite understand how you're saying they will deal him if they don't franchise him. He will become UFA if they don't franchise him and could sign with any team he wants. The Pats won't get anything in return. Maybe I just misunderstood your wording, and in that case I apologize. Also, Asante isn't old, he's in his prime right now.

Eat the crow, fattie.

August 29th, 2007
Mmmm, crow
Posted by John Tomase at 12:38 pm

Color this correspondent as surprised as anyone that the Patriots included a provision in Asante Samuel’s contract that will keep him from being franchised again next year if he’s on the field for a certain number of plays, or if the Pats win a certain number of games.

We were pretty hard on Samuel in Tuesday’s Herald, noting that as of Monday night — before the no-tag clause was included in his deal — his holdout had accomplished nothing. It’s hard to say that’s the case now, with Samuel in good position to hit the open market next year. The Patriots must have believed he’d leave town without signing the $7.79 million tender. Otherwise, it’s hard to see why they acquiesced on the 2008 franchise tag, since they seemingly had all the leverage. Samuel was in serious danger of losing $458,000 weekly game checks if his holdout lasted any longer.

There’s also the possibility it was a goodwill gesture, since the sides could still work out a long term extension after the season. Now Samuel has to get in shape and prove he’s worth the mega-deal he believes awaits him in unfettered free agency.

Hey, you gotta give Tomase some credit for owning up to his mistake. Granted he did kinda wus out on his apology.

Good of him to admit the mistake.....has this franchise concession actually been proven yet other than thru an unnamed source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes