PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase: Samuel beat deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Tomase is going to end up eating this...From all reports Asante has NOT signed the one-year tender.

Ooops is not going to cut it here for Tomase.

I am not sure how his not signing the tender changes anything...his points are still valid...if anything Samuel looks weaker with this last minute BS...
there's even less time for AS to get ready...I agree though it's an ooops...

Last edited:
After years of reading this forum, I finally feel like I need to start contributing when I find places where people are being led down the wrong path.

I don't think the reports regarding Asante are accurate. I believe he has not signed his tender yet, but people need to consider why.

Everyone has mentioned how moronic it is to come to camp with demands, but announce you will sign tomorrow if you don't get your demands. Well Asante and his agent are not dumb. You can argue they made poor choices in the negotiation process, but the tactic people are discussing is something a child would do.

Here is something that seems more reasonable: The Patriots had an 80 man roster as of this morning and planned on cutting 5 more to get to 75 by tomorrow afternoon. When Asante signs his tender they will have to cut another before he can join the team.

I imagine BB and co. planned to determine who was getting cut after afternoon practice and maybe early tomorrow. By waiting to sign til tomorrow, it allows all the rookies one last practice and time to determine the first 6 cuts.

Asante needed to go through a physical and pass his conditioning run anyways and that could have taken up most of his day.

I think this is a situation where BB was not quite sure Asante would come in today and did not want to cut one guy a day early when they could easily announce it tomorrow morning and have Asante fully prepped for practice on Tuesday.

Maybe I get bit in the ass for this somewhat bolder prediction, but Tomase is certainly safe from any backlash. If Asante continued his holdout it would only prove his point that the Patriots are not going to make the same mistake again.

This morning it is being reported on Pro Football talk, i believe, that the reason for hesitation is that the Samuel wants a guarantee that he will not be franchised next year.. it is what it is, the NFL players agreement, he has no leverage and the Pats are essentially in the drivers seat in this situation.. great deal of difficulty in hearing someone complain about only making 7.79 million per year...

This morning it is being reported on Pro Football talk, i believe, that the reason for hesitation is that the Samuel wants a guarantee that he will not be franchised next year.. it is what it is, the NFL players agreement, he has no leverage and the Pats are essentially in the drivers seat in this situation.. great deal of difficulty in hearing someone complain about only making 7.79 million per year...
It's NOT ENOUGH!!!!!

After years of reading this forum, I finally feel like I need to start contributing when I find places where people are being led down the wrong path.

I don't think the reports regarding Asante are accurate. I believe he has not signed his tender yet, but people need to consider why.

Everyone has mentioned how moronic it is to come to camp with demands, but announce you will sign tomorrow if you don't get your demands. Well Asante and his agent are not dumb. You can argue they made poor choices in the negotiation process, but the tactic people are discussing is something a child would do.

Here is something that seems more reasonable: The Patriots had an 80 man roster as of this morning and planned on cutting 5 more to get to 75 by tomorrow afternoon. When Asante signs his tender they will have to cut another before he can join the team.

I imagine BB and co. planned to determine who was getting cut after afternoon practice and maybe early tomorrow. By waiting to sign til tomorrow, it allows all the rookies one last practice and time to determine the first 6 cuts.

Asante needed to go through a physical and pass his conditioning run anyways and that could have taken up most of his day.

I think this is a situation where BB was not quite sure Asante would come in today and did not want to cut one guy a day early when they could easily announce it tomorrow morning and have Asante fully prepped for practice on Tuesday.

Maybe I get bit in the ass for this somewhat bolder prediction, but Tomase is certainly safe from any backlash. If Asante continued his holdout it would only prove his point that the Patriots are not going to make the same mistake again.

I don't buy it. I say the article is pretty much right on (aside from perhaps the fact that he didn't sign - but will today). AS (and his agents) played this wrong from the begining, and are still playing it wrong.

My bet is Hobbs emerges as a better CB this year too.

I don't buy it. I say the article is pretty much right on (aside from perhaps the fact that he didn't sign - but will today). AS (and his agents) played this wrong from the begining, and are still playing it wrong.

I think Marius is pretty much on the right track. I also posted (last night) that this "hasn't signed the tender" talk is much ado about nothing. He will sign the tender today and be on the practice field today.

Asante: "I want this."

Patriots: "No."

"Okay, this."

"No."

"This."

"No."

"Th-"

"No."

"See you at camp!"

I seriously doubt he ran his conditioning test before signing the tender. Any chance of getting seriously hurt, a hamstring possibly, while running that test and the money is gone.

Last edited:
I think this is a great article with a lot of great points.

Asante only hurts everyone by holding out, but mostly himself.

He may not have signed yet, but it is only a matter of time. Otherwise, why even show up???? If the Pats didn't agree not to franchise him next year to get him into camp on time, they certainly aren't going to do it now! That would make no sense!!

Greed truly makes people act foolish!!!!

I think Tomase is going to end up eating this...From all reports Asante has NOT signed the one-year tender.

Ooops is not going to cut it here for Tomase.
I thought it wa a good article.

Why would Asante come to Foxboro if he werenàt going to sign? And he can't practice until he signs.

BTW, italia44, I'm typing this from Rome, just off the Roma Termini. Took me forever to learn to use an Italian keyboard (left shift key is the biggest issue for me) and now when I get home I'll have to relearn my US keyboard.

Tomase's article is, as usual, top-notch. I didn't read it last night, but just read it now and it looks like it was amended to include the fact that Asante has not yet signed (which, FWIW, strengthens the piece, IMO).

Asante is bluffing people who basically DON'T BLUFF, and in a totally ham-handed way. He looks like an idiot.

No bluff, he's signed and needs to put on the pads, get ready to play, and not get hurt by being rushed. There's enough depth to work Samuel in only when he's ready. The Pats have usually been patient in these situations.

Let's hope last season was an indication of player growth and a continuing increasing level of quality play.

Yup, Asante really got hosed. How's he ever gonna live on that pathetic $7.79 million payday?

I don't think the story is the Assante played it wrong. It's more about the Pats playing it right. They played the Franchise tag to see if Assante is worth a long term deal. Last Year was his biggest year and he's getting old, for a DB. I bet if he plays well this year, the pats will deal him. They won't franchise him and they'll take whatever good players/picks they think he is worth. Assante wanted a deal because he was huge last year and he figured he could get a deal, if not with the pats, with a team willing to pay. The Pats franchised him because they want to get everything they can out of him. If his stock goes up this year it will be better for NE because we'll be able to get younger equal talent.

Ssh, don't say that to loud! :nono:

People will question your football knowledge and then remind you that Asante is a top 10 CB and arguably a top 5. :rofl:

Obviously, he gained very little by holding out.

But he didn't lose much either.

It's all a big non-deal. He's here, and if he doesn't get hurt he will probably play very well and help the Pats win football games.

I've never been a big Tomase fan.

While I agree with many of the points in the article (which mirror many of the more rational posting on this site), the article is written so over the top that I wonder if it is calculated to inflame emotions at a time when the two parties have come to some amicable resolution for the year.

It's almost as if the media is disappointed that a negative story that they could milk for months has come abruptly to an unsatisfying end. I mean, come on, how necessary was the title "Samuel beat Deep ?".

R

Obviously, he gained very little by holding out.

But he didn't lose much either.

It's all a big non-deal. He's here, and if he doesn't get hurt he will probably play very well and help the Pats win football games.

======================================

Best answer yet.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes