PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase receiving threats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tomasse

A *little* crazy? Try f'in insane! That's ridiculous. Being a fan of a team is one thing. That's another. I hope they find out who the cowards who did that are, and that they are punished to the full extent of the law.

Exactly. Criticizing is one thing. Threatening anyone physically is a completely different ballgame.

There is technology today to find persons who send physical threats. It should be used to fully prosecute anyone who does such a thing.

Re: Tomase

I know Tomasse probably is feeling pretty low, and he is the main focus.. He wrote a bad story about our team.. The story sucks, he is not the best Boston patriot beat writer ever, and he probably went to far and did not do his homework, and was worried about his job..

I hear stories, that his family is threatened, his wife and new baby.. That is a little crazy, I would never do that, and I dont think as fans we should go that far..No way do I want anyone's family, hurt over this,everyone has a job..
And I dont think anyone else wants harm to others, we would like some justice but not harm to family and family memebers...

I totally agree with your sentiments about the guy's family and personal life. Sports fans can be emotional jerks. It's a real black mark on Pats fans (human after all) who indulge in such behaviour.

John Tomase seems like he is a pretty nice guy, but he was st best sloppy with his reporting. He has damaged his papers reputation and his papers relationship with the Patriots. The papers best Patriots reporter, Mike Felger, also is so damaged at Foxboro that they had to bring in Tomase to do the beat stuff. If Tomase's family is getting threatened then the people who are doing it should be beaten to a pulp.

Could someone please explain to me why there are so many sports writers in Boston who actually seem to have it out for the teams they cover?

While I don't think it's at all reasonable to expect every writer covering a team to be a complete homer, it seems really odd to be covering a team you actively dislike (e.g., Borges, who calls Adalius Thomas the best available FA on one website, then lambastes the Pats in the Globe for signing him the next day).

Last edited:

Tomase won't be going to the Sox beat. He made a name for himself in this town and landed his job with the Herald by writing a piece that essentially said all the Sox players consider Manny Ramirez a cancer in the clubhouse and basically called him a thief for his lack of effort. He even blamed Manny for high ticket prices.

As for the threat thing that suddenly has come to light, I'd guess it was nothing and we are only hearing about it as part of the guys in the business circling the wagons for their buddy Tomase.

Last edited:

Could someone please explain to me why there are so many sports writers in Boston who actually seem to have it out for the teams they cover?

While I don't think it's at all reasonable to expect every writer covering a team to be a complete homer, it seems really odd to be covering a team you actively dislike (e.g., Borges, who calls Adalius Thomas the best available FA on one website, then lambastes the Pats in the Globe for signing him the next day).

I don't want my newspaper's writers to be homers. I'd rather read a cynic.

But truth and fairness are necessary.

OK, I for one find this thread shocking.

Tomase is not a virgin?
That only proves he replies to spam and can afford a one-way ticket from Kazakhstan.

That only proves he replies to spam and can afford a one-way ticket from Kazakhstan.

OK, folks. Very funny stuff, but can we try raise the level of discourse and stay on topic a bit?

thanks.

Last edited:

OK, folks. Very funny stuff, but can we try raise the level of discourse and stay on topic a bit?

thanks.
You're discussing the level of discourse on a fan messageboard about the most execrable reporter in the history of Patriots football. And you think a post about internet dating and airfares lowered it?

Tch. So sensitive.

You can't even crack wise these days without some moderator tripping over his skirt.

thanks.

Threads on this topic are all a bit inane, aren't they? I mean, some of the ideas being thrown out there are just ludicrous.

But I can hold back, no problem.

Threads on this topic are all a bit inane, aren't they? I mean, some of the ideas being thrown out there are just ludicrous.

But I can hold back, no problem.

Like I said, it was funny and I had to wipe off my keyboard, but I just, personally, would like the thread to get back on topic. Not as a Mod, just as a poster - - it's all cool.

It's come to my attention that folks from the media have been reading this particular thread and have actually noted some relevant points from it. That helps the site's rep. I'd just hate for this thread to spiral away.

The first three jokes were fine (and clever) , don't anyone worry - - I just hoped we could get back on topic

Last edited:

Like I said, it was funny and I had to wipe off my keyboard, but I just, personally, would like the thread to get back on topic. Not as a Mod, just as a poster - - it's all cool.

It's come to my attention that folks from the media have been reading this particular thread and have actually noted some relevant points from it. That helps the site's rep. I'd just hate for this thread to spiral away.

The first three jokes were fine (and clever) , don't anyone worry - - I just hoped we could get back on topic

Sometimes it's good to be professional here. That's pretty cool...thanks for sharing that with us.

"Nobody should be put in physical danger because they're so classless as to undermine the local team and fans just hours before a big event." That, in a nutshell, is the standard response to these situations in the 'modern' time we live in. But let's not kid ourselves here. Had this happened back when players like Ty Cobb were around, Dumbasse would still be recovering in the hospital, and deservedly so given the spirit and temper of the time.

We live in an era where accountability is all but gone, as long as the person who screws up is following the 'correct' agenda. It's sad that Dumbasse can keep his job after essentially ruining the Super Bowl weekend of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Patriots fans before the game even started. For the sale of newspapers, Dumbasse and the Herald decided to destroy the happy feelings of an entire region at a time that should have been among the most joyous in recent history, and they did this not on an imminent and critical issue of national security, but on a matter of an alleged tape about something sports related over 5 years old.

Last edited:

I didn't hear about this but I knew it was coming. I was actually pondering it aloud last night in the car. We have some die hard fans here (some that are idiots which would explain this) so I'm not suprised that he's received death threats. I don't wish hard on him and his family, just that he is fired from being the Pats beat writer. At least he doesn't live in Philly. If this had happened to them, he probably would have been dead already.

I think it speaks to Tomase's character. In life, we are all presented opportunities to gain something. It is up to the individual's concious and personal set of ethics to decide which opportunities they act on and which ones they judge as immoral.

Example: Do I eat this tripple-whopper, or would it have negative reprocussions?

I think Tomase realized that he had a chance to brand himself and use it to springboard somewhere else. I think that he made an immoral (or rash) decision and is now seeing the result. He had to be aware of the potential for recoil. There is no way he is that dumb. No one is.

I consider the article as an example of the morality and personal gain dilemma. This lumps Tomase into the Enron and Worldcom column of doing something widely accepted as wrong in the interest of furthering one's self. Without question his sole motive was personal gain. That is the only logical explaination. For the life of me I can't understand how someone would alientate/cause detriment to an entire organization who's success is directly related to theirs. He clearly is not a very bright individual.

Last edited:

Serious you want, serious you shall have, though Tomase is such a, um, tempting target.

On physical threats or even the hint of them: Immoral, illegal, should not be tolerated. Issuers of serious threats should be banned. No kidding.

On criticism: Totally appropriate.

On humor, jokes and gentle profanity: If it's funny and in good taste, why the hell not? If it's not funny and in bad taste, hey, that reflects on the poster. The moment Tomase chose the worst possible time to falsely accuse an historic coach of cheating in the most storied game of his career, the best Tomase should expect are a few bad jokes. A thread labeled with that punk's name would be bereft if it didn't have at least a few.

On the consequences of choice. I don't care who the managing editor was. Tomase wrote the article and put his name beside it. His sword is publicity, let him feel both sides of it (for the literal-minded, that's not a physical threat, that's a metaphor -- it means if he publicly impugns someone's reputation, his own is fair game). I have seen Belichick called all sorts of names and his reputation impugned in every way, personally and professionally, yet he never says anything bad about anyone, at least not in public.

And if he ever did, you can be damn sure he'd get his facts straight.

On the consequences of punishment or the lack thereof: I despise rumor-mongering reporters who use the popularity of my favorite team to propel their self-aggrandizement. Felger comes to mind, but he has yet to stumble upon this sort of damage. If Tomase gets off easy, where is the warning for Felger and his ilk?

So, on a serious note, that's why I don't want to tone down the rhetoric.

OK, I for one find this thread shocking.

Tomase is not a virgin?

Dang that was funny! My keyboard hates you.

As for Tomase, I have no sympathy for him. Other hosts bringing up death threats his family received around the time of the SB doesn't seem relevant anymore.

While the threats are detestible, that was a while ago and they were obviously not acted upon.

Bringing it up now, when Tomase is obviously on the hotseat, just seems like a lame attempt to provide him some cover that he does not deserve.

He should be fired! The Herald should publically apologize to the Patriots and their fans for what they did. Page 1 of the sports section... big bold type. Anything short of that is unacceptable.

The ban continues. How's the readership Herald? A little down? Screw you!

Serious you want, serious you shall have, though Tomase is such a, um, tempting target.

On physical threats or even the hint of them: Immoral, illegal, should not be tolerated. Issuers of serious threats should be banned. No kidding.

On criticism: Totally appropriate.

On humor, jokes and gentle profanity: If it's funny and in good taste, why the hell not? If it's not funny and in bad taste, hey, that reflects on the poster. The moment Tomase chose the worst possible time to falsely accuse an historic coach of cheating in the most storied game of his career, the best Tomase should expect are a few bad jokes. A thread labeled with that punk's name would be bereft if it didn't have at least a few.

On the consequences of choice. I don't care who the managing editor was. Tomase wrote the article and put his name beside it. His sword is publicity, let him feel both sides of it (for the literal-minded, that's not a physical threat, that's a metaphor -- it means if he publicly impugns someone's reputation, his own is fair game). I have seen Belichick called all sorts of names and his reputation impugned in every way, personally and professionally, yet he never says anything bad about anyone, at least not in public.

And if he ever did, you can be damn sure he'd get his facts straight.

On the consequences of punishment or the lack thereof: I despise rumor-mongering reporters who use the popularity of my favorite team to propel their self-aggrandizement. Felger comes to mind, but he has yet to stumble upon this sort of damage. If Tomase gets off easy, where is the warning for Felger and his ilk?

So, on a serious note, that's why I don't want to tone down the rhetoric.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly in my previous post. No need to tone down the rhetoric.

I was really just seeing if we could keep this particular thread on topic. I was writingg it as a poster - - not as some Mod enforcing any rules. Nothing was deleted or edited from the three very clever jokes.

As I mentioned, the jokes were very funny and I had to wipe off the keyboard. I was just hoping we could keep this thread from being hijacked into a "Best one-liners" thread.

I agree with everything else you wrote above (except the part where you seem to let the Editors and Mgt of the Herald seem to get off scott-free).

I agree with everything else you wrote above (except the part where you seem to let the Editors and Mgt of the Herald seem to get off scott-free).
Not at all. But this thread is about Tomase and I've seen and heard too many taking the blame from him and assigning it to his editors. I do realize the sports desk editor and, given the weight of the story, those above, all had to pass muster. They, too, should suffer the consequences.

I know Tomasse probably is feeling pretty low, and he is the main focus.. He wrote a bad story about our team.. The story sucks, he is not the best Boston patriot beat writer ever, and he probably went to far and did not do his homework, and was worried about his job..

But Im as die hard of a fan as anybody, and this story of spygate and how my team is portrayed is important to me, but I think he was afraid of not breaking a story, and losing his job.. We can tell him about how we feel, and how wrong he is, but he is not alone , his name is attached to the story, along with Matt Fish at Espn, Greg Easterbrook, and Arlen Specter is to blame..

I hear stories, that his family is threatened, his wife and new baby.. That is a little crazy, I would never do that, and I dont think as fans we should go that far..

He is wrong and should have checked his fact before he printed it, he should come out and say what he knew , or he made a mistake.. But let us fans not go and threaten his family, but I hope this is a lesson for him, and when he is a beat writer for the red sox, he need better creditable sources..

No way do I want anyone's family, hurt over this,everyone has a job..
And I dont think anyone else wants harm to others, we would like some justice but not harm to family and family memebers...

Please don't make EXCUSES for this pathetic DOUCHE bag......He should be fired and be forever labeled as a DISGRACE in the history of Boston sports.....He is the media equivalent to Rosie Ruiz.........an eyesore in the history of the Pats.......He sold his soul to the devil when running with this story.....and now must be a man and take his punishment......instead he is proving to be the gutless pile of sh## that everyone thought he was........what a pathetic sniveling coward!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back