Tomase provides his explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As of 19 minutes ago.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1094427&srvc=home&position=0

1st quarter of story:

Late in the 2006 season, I was having a casual conversation about the Patriots [team stats] when someone I trust threw out the following tidbit.

“I heard the Patriots filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI,” he said.

It was just a rumor, and certainly not actionable intelligence, as they say. He had heard it from a friend of a friend. I filed it away, and then forgot about it. Reporters hear stuff like that all the time.

Little did I know that comment would resurface from a much stronger source in the days after the Patriots had been caught filming the Jets’ defensive signals in September 2007.

I still needed more, and I tried to get it. Two days before the Super Bowl, I finally believed I had it nailed that the Pats had indeed taped that walkthrough. I didn’t know what happened to the tape or if it ever found its way to the coaching staff, but I felt I had the basic story, and even though I didn’t feel great about going the anonymous source route, this one was ready for print.

Turns out I could not have been more wrong. I regret it, and that’s something I’m going to have to live with for the rest of my life.

There was no tape made of the walkthrough. Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh confirmed this in his meetings this week with the league and Sen. Arlen Specter. An internal investigation by the Patriots reached the same conclusion.

Because I expect accountability of the people I cover, I must demand the same of myself. I owe that to both the readers of my stories and the subjects of my stories.

While I have no regrets over going to print the day before the Super Bowl, this is a story I simply could not afford to get wrong. And I did.

So what happened?

First and foremost, this is about a writer breaking one of the cardinal rules of journalism. I failed to keep challenging what I had been told.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: *****Alert: The Tomase Explanation Is Now Up

As of 19 minutes ago.

could someone post so that hits aren't registered to his site? thanks

I feel dirty but here the story from JT.

Late in the 2006 season, I was having a casual conversation about the Patriots [team stats] when someone I trust threw out the following tidbit.

“I heard the Patriots filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI,” he said.

It was just a rumor, and certainly not actionable intelligence, as they say. He had heard it from a friend of a friend. I filed it away, and then forgot about it. Reporters hear stuff like that all the time.

Little did I know that comment would resurface from a much stronger source in the days after the Patriots had been caught filming the Jets’ defensive signals in September 2007.

I still needed more, and I tried to get it. Two days before the Super Bowl, I finally believed I had it nailed that the Pats had indeed taped that walkthrough. I didn’t know what happened to the tape or if it ever found its way to the coaching staff, but I felt I had the basic story, and even though I didn’t feel great about going the anonymous source route, this one was ready for print.

Turns out I could not have been more wrong. I regret it, and that’s something I’m going to have to live with for the rest of my life.

There was no tape made of the walkthrough. Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh confirmed this in his meetings this week with the league and Sen. Arlen Specter. An internal investigation by the Patriots reached the same conclusion.

Because I expect accountability of the people I cover, I must demand the same of myself. I owe that to both the readers of my stories and the subjects of my stories.

While I have no regrets over going to print the day before the Super Bowl, this is a story I simply could not afford to get wrong. And I did.

So what happened?

First and foremost, this is about a writer breaking one of the cardinal rules of journalism. I failed to keep challenging what I had been told.

Do Not cut and paste entire articles Do not cut and paste entire articles and post them here. You are allowed to take sentence or two and provide a link, but cutting and pasting an entire article is not allowed. I understand it's done elsewhere, but it is copyright infringement and we don't permit it. Please PM any of the moderators in the event you see it done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edit: beaten to the punch by one minute

Last edited:

Um. That's not an explanation. That's a "I f*cked up, I didn't want someone to beat me to it, I couldn't verify it, I printed crap".

As a reporter he'll never get over it. But this apology was something he had to do and he did. So here, at least, John Tomase did a good job and the right thing.

this isnt what i would call an explanation

its an excuse

excuse for a proffesional acting as a novice

As a reporter he'll never get over it. But this apology was something he had to do and he did. So here, at least, John Tomase did a good job and the right thing.
His resignation would have been better.

Um. That's not an explanation. That's a "I f*cked up, I didn't want someone to beat me to it, I couldn't verify it, I printed crap".

Agreed, thats a " She WAS pretty drunk, but we HAVE been dating for awhile, and I KNOW she would have slept with me eventually, if she didn't pass out that night, so It really wasn't rape" type of high school rational.

Resign doughboy

Well, my suspicions all along have been confirmed. I never thought Walsh was the source of Tomase's article and that he just printed the rumor that most of the media has heard and attributed it to sources. He has basically said that since a trusted source relayed the rumor to him, he felt that rose to the level of credible evidence.

Based on his explaination, I am more disapointed and upset with him. To put out a story like this where he basically determined it true because Walsh was outed and Tomase knew he was probably at the walkthrough and it validated the rumor in his mind is inexcusable. To report a rumor as fact because you connect some dots, but have no confirmation is just as bad as what Borges and Barnacle got fired for.

With a story this huge, Tomase should have be far more sure of the facts than he was. I feel his explaination does himself more of a diservice than mend and bridges that he hopes to get with Patriots fans.

this isnt what i would call an explanation

its an excuse

excuse for a proffesional acting as a novice
Yep - this is . . . uh oh someone's gonna scoop me - quick, get it out.

Cool a 3 pg long excuse letter trying to blame other people...go f*** yourself, JT.

DON'T LET THE HERALD MANAGEMENT OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Tomase screwed up immensely.

However, many more VETERAN editors gave it their approval at the Herald. The Management stood behind this story for 3+ months.

This was orchestrated by a corporation, folks. Don't just aim your indignation at the footsoldier. Very smart, older and more powerful people were behind this all the way at the Boston Herald.

Don't lose sight of the Powers That Be in this situation (believe me, they are hoping you do, and that you focus all on Tomase).

Last edited:

DON'T LET THE HERALD MANAGEMENT OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Tomase screwed up immensely.

However, many more VETERAN editors gave it their approval at the Herald. The Management stood behind this story for 3+ months.

This was orchestrated by a corporation, folks. Don't just aim your indignation at the footsoldier. Very smart, older and more powerful people were behind this all the way at the Boston Herald.

Don't lose sight of the Powers That Be in this situation.

Good point. Go f*** yourself, Boston Herald.

guess what the other media will spin this as ? "rumors of tape exist since 2006."

**** you, Tomase. I won't read that rag of a paper until he's gone from it.

With sources like this, you don't need friends or enemies John, you need a new career.

He should reveal his source. His career is over. No one is talking to him moving forward either way.

Exactly. Apologies are a good thing. Showing remorse will often stop the bleeding and allow healing to begin. I think that is why the media is out for blood with BB. He never gave them the apology or showed the remorse they wanted. He gave interpretations. Now there is no going back...just look ahead and keep winning.

He's more pathetic than I thought.

While I have no regrets over going to print the day before the Super Bowl,

Huh?

One that I trust said he had been told the walkthrough was taped. A second said he had been told the same thing, but neither had seen a tape.

Wow, they heard the story. Great reporting!

For the first time, a pit settled in my stomach. That pit would become my constant companion for the next three months.

Did he really write about his stomach? I'll pass and let everyone fill in their own line.

But seriously, is this line supposed to make anyone feel sorry for him?

Journalism isn’t a popularity contest, but good Lord, this story was not going to be well received.

Nice try to change the issue. Popularity contest? How about a profession? I'll correct myself - sports journalism is not a profession. I've suspected as much, but you helped proved it.

At this point, I have to pause. There has been a clamoring for me to identify the sources used in my story. This I cannot do. When a reporter promises anonymity, he can’t break that promise simply because he comes under fire. I gave my word, and the day I break that word is the day sources stop talking to me.

You didn't have any sources! Stop with the Woodward and Bernstein stuff. You had people who heard the story. There were no sources.

...here are some conclusions I’ve drawn:
should not have written the story without seeing the tape or getting multiple, firsthand confirmations from members of the organization.

Is this from a Junior in high school? Do you write for a high school paper? For all of Tony's M's howls against bloggers and sports internet sites, this is pretty sad compared to anything he's complained about.

No one forced me to write that story, and it’s important to note I do not believe I was ever lied to.

Sure, they told you what they heard.

What happens from here? I intend to continue covering the Patriots to the best of my abilities, and that means pursuing every storyline, good or bad.

It's not about good or bad storylines!
Do you really expect people to fall for that line? Did Tony Maz give you that line or was that thought up in a meeting at the Herald about this failure?

I have relationships to mend within the organization and with my readers.
People don't read YOU. They read Patriot/Football news/ stories.

To paraphrase Ving Rhames to Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction: You've lost your sports writing privileges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing