alamo

praedica numerum!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=248

September 7th, 2006
The Bull(ed over) Monty
Posted by John Tomase at 10:50 pm

This has already been posted by the good folks over at PatsFans, but for anyone who hasn’t seen it, this is video proof of why Monty Beisel didn’t make it here. Yeah, Jared Lorenzen’s a tank and all …. but this is not pretty.

View the carnage at YouTube.

That video will always be good for a laugh. When it cuts to the extra slo-mo version, when Freddy Mercury is singing "Momma", then hits that high note on the oooooh, and Beisel gets crushed... that's just artistry.

holy cow now i see why Tomase is a writer and not on TV. did you see that mug?

Well that was cool of Tomase. Sucking up works well with me. ;) Just kidding, that was cool.

(I keep telling you guys they all read this place, that's why you've GOT to stop talking about wRonG all the time!!)

Tomase, major props.

Last edited:
I respectfully withdraw my respect until they fix the link in the story. If you click the link for PatsFans in his blog entry, you get a Herald 404 Page Not Found page.
:nono:

:D

Huh, it might be just me but that wasn't all that bad. I didn't see the play until just now and I was expecting a whole lot worse. If any single one of our LBs aside from maybe Vrabel would have hit that qb from that exact angle, the result would have been the exact same. Don't know what more you can ask from the guy, he made the tackle. If that would have been Bruschi on that play everyone would have been proclaiming what a warrior he was.

Alk said:
Huh, it might be just me but that wasn't all that bad. I didn't see the play until just now and I was expecting a whole lot worse. If any single one of our LBs aside from maybe Vrabel would have hit that qb from that exact angle, the result would have been the exact same. Don't know what more you can ask from the guy, he made the tackle. If that would have been Bruschi on that play everyone would have been proclaiming what a warrior he was.

You know, I'm with you on that. Having heard but not seen the incident, I was expecting Lorenzen to run straight through Beisel. But it's nowhere near that bad.

The fact is that Lorenzen - who is huge and quick - is running full pelt forward while Beisel is covering sideways across the field. All the momentum is with the QB who drops his shoulder and bam.

But Beisel brings the guy down. I think it's a decent tackle and he's been unfairly maligned on this one.

ironwasp said:
You know, I'm with you on that. Having heard but not seen the incident, I was expecting Lorenzen to run straight through Beisel. But it's nowhere near that bad.

The fact is that Lorenzen - who is huge and quick - is running full pelt forward while Beisel is covering sideways across the field. All the momentum is with the QB who drops his shoulder and bam.

But Beisel brings the guy down. I think it's a decent tackle and he's been unfairly maligned on this one.

I agree. At least Beisel held on for a change.

For a classic Monty wiff, check about 40% into this 9/4 clip at Patriots.com.:D

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=20908&pcid=111

Last edited:
Alk said:

I agree. It's not hard to find examples in games that count from last year where his play was much worse.

That was embarrassing for our team.
You got to lay on a nice hit not try to ride him down....Monty must have thought he was still on ST in KC.

I'm surprised that some of you are defending Monty on that play or saying "it wasn't so bad." I understand that Lorenzen had forward momentum but Monty wasn't coming at him head on, he was coming in at an angle, and should've lowered his shoulder and driven him out of bounds.

Instead you can see him almost pull up when makes contact with Lorenzen and, instead of driving through him to finish the tackle, he just kind of limply hangs on and lets Lorenzen gain another few yards. There is no way that Bruschi, Vrable or Colvin would let that happen.

The Patriots have had a reputation for the past 5 years as an extremely physical team. It's one of the main reasons why the rest of the NFL hates to play against us. Monty never has and never will fit in here. I'm glad he's gone and that play is a perfect illustration of why.

The Next One said:
I'm surprised that some of you are defending Monty on that play or saying "it wasn't so bad." I understand that Lorenzen had forward momentum but Monty wasn't coming at him head on, he was coming in at an angle, and should've lowered his shoulder and driven him out of bounds.

Instead you can see him almost pull up when makes contact with Lorenzen and, instead of driving through him to finish the tackle, he just kind of limply hangs on and lets Lorenzen gain another few yards. There is no way that Bruschi, Vrable or Colvin would let that happen.

OTOH, he might have expected that the QB was going to step out of bounds, as most of them don't want to drop a shoulder and hit like an RB. Driving through hard in that case could easily have resulted in a late hit.

Very typical Biesel tackling technique. Rather than lower his shoulder and drive through the ball carrier, Biesel prefers a more "steer-wrestling" style, initiating contact with his chest and wrapping his arms around the ball carriers shoulder pads. OK for an OLB in coverage, but inadequate for an ILB playing the run between the tackles (LT's goal line embarassment). Biesel has proven to be unable to adapt a more agressive style.

jczxohn1 said:
Very typical Biesel tackling technique. Rather than lower his shoulder and drive through the ball carrier, Biesel prefers a more "steer-wrestling" style, initiating contact with his chest and wrapping his arms around the ball carriers shoulder pads. OK for an OLB in coverage, but inadequate for an ILB playing the run between the tackles (LT's goal line embarassment). Biesel has proven to be unable to adapt a more agressive style.

Yep. Many occasions last year, Monte stepped out of the way of the ball carrier, and tried for a leg tackle from behind.

markd said:
OTOH, he might have expected that the QB was going to step out of bounds, as most of them don't want to drop a shoulder and hit like an RB. Driving through hard in that case could easily have resulted in a late hit.
Really don't think that was it, just Biesel and his trademark move. Would Rodney have risked a penalty? or Wilson? or Sanders? or Hawkins? or Samuels? You bet, in a heartbeat.

He's used to doing his bullfighter "OLE" tackle as he steps to the side so he wasn't used to actually making contact with the ballcarrier. Very entertaining video. I give it a big thumbs up.

Alk said:

It was that bad. No high school player hits high like Monty does. If you go back and look at his plays early last year he was doing the same thing on those (rare) occasions when he actually was able to be in the play.. hitting the RB high and falling backwards.

That play personified his brief career with the Pats, and led to his demise from the roster. He wasn't a good fit. I think I remember hearing here that his attitude wasn't very Patriot-like. In any case, it is pretty telling that he hasn't been brought in by any team since his release a week ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back