PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase on Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
how is he a moron for stating his opinion. i dont get it. i think hes a moron for other things, but for giving an opinion that you dont agree with does not make the man a moron

How can you go from being a moron to not being a moron? Isn't that, like, hard to do? I've never heard someone say, "I used to be a moron."

How can you go from being a moron to not being a moron? Isn't that, like, hard to do? I've never heard someone say, "I used to be a moron."

ahhh. hes not a moron in this case for stating his opinion. -->but there are other reasons why he is a moron. two different things

Funny, thinking about it, I actually think that Cassel getting tagged quickly might be to speed up him being traded. As someone said in the other thread, now the Pats can give Cassel permission to talk to other teams and get a deal done. I think the Pats will want to get Cassel traded before the start of free agency so they can have the money and know what draft picks they will have when free agency kicks in.

As for Tomase, I don't think he knows any more about the Brady situation than any of us. The guy is going to be the last in the media to get any information from anyone in the Pats' organization. His opinion doesn't hold anymore weight to me than anyone on this board.
Actually, much less.

Apparently Tommase doesn't watch NEST when he's not on it. Within the last week ( i think last friday) they had Curran on from Tampa. He said that his story was taken out of context some and that he never said TB would miss next year, only that he had had some setbacks. He tried to backpedal without actually backpedaling.

With Tomasse and Borges, the Herald has some serious credibility issues!

Last edited:
how is he a moron for stating his opinion. i dont get it. i think hes a moron for other things, but for giving an opinion that you dont agree with does not make the man a moron

He is not "stating an opinion". He is making a projection of 1+1=3 based on what someone else said, much like you got flamed for yesterday.

cassel is already gone......some just don't realize it

I agree this is step one, if there was not a deal in place then they would have waited until the latter part of this period.. there was no need to do this on the first day of Free Agency... most of what the Pats do is purposeful and planned.

you know you're on the wrong side of things when you defend tomase.

Having reread the rules distinguishing the 2 franchise designations, I come to the conclusion that BB would have tagged Cassel with the "Exclusive" franchise label if he planned to keep him. Why allow a team any opportunity to grab Cassel with a big contract and poison pill that the Patriots would have no chance to match, just to save a the monetary difference between the two tags.

" An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player."

yeah...very good post...sorta blows all the fantasy geeks intent on this insanity of "seeing what we can get!!!!!! and "listen to all offers!!!!!" in reference to Tom Brady right out of the water. This is the SMART thing to do, the CORRECT thing to do and the ONLY thing that should be done.

Getting upset over Curren is one thing, but getting upset over this is not worth it.. Cassel being franchised is one thing, keeping him because of the hard work he has done is another.. Which I think they would like to keep him not only for insurance, because they made him into what he is a startting nfl QB..

Funny, thinking about it, I actually think that Cassel getting tagged quickly might be to speed up him being traded.

No question about it. The only advantage to franchising him immediately is to facilitate a trade; if you're really playing wait-and-see on Brady, you...umm...wait and see.

:confused: :confused:

This statement does not make any sense!

Having reread the rules distinguishing the 2 franchise designations, I come to the conclusion that BB would have tagged Cassel with the "Exclusive" franchise label if he planned to keep him. Why allow a team any opportunity to grab Cassel with a big contract and poison pill that the Patriots would have no chance to match, just to save a the monetary difference between the two tags.

" An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position in the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
It is the team's choice whether it uses an exclusive or a non-exclusive franchise tag. While it may seem that a team would always choose the exclusive option, there are two reasons a team might prefer the non-exclusive option instead. The first is that the salary is based on the top 5 salaries of the previous year instead of the current year, which could be a significant difference. The second reason is that a team may want the opportunity for the two first-round draft picks they would receive if they lost their player."

Wow!!! I don't f'ng believe it, common sense backed up by some fact...holy sh*t - say it ain't so batman!!!!

Last edited:
I agree this is step one, if there was not a deal in place then they would have waited until the latter part of this period.. there was no need to do this on the first day of Free Agency... most of what the Pats do is purposeful and planned.

the potential downside to keeping him is greater than the relative short-term problems if he is gone and brady is not ready to go.........in terms of what you can get for him plus what can happen if cassel is playing well when brady is ready to go back in..........some people say that's a good problem to have, but QB controversies are very destructive.......its easier to take the heat for letting cassel go for multiple high picks and having to start oconnell week 1.......

if the pats can take an ineffective cassel (and that's exactly what he was when he stepped on the field week 1) and make him effective, I am confident that the staff can utilize oconnell and even gutierrez in order to do the same......shorten the playbook, reduce risks and have them grow on the fly.......hell, it wouldn't be a bad thing turn the QB position into a plug-and-play thing

Yes, Bill Belichick's comments were obviously an indication that he's unsure of Tom Brady's status for 2009. Belichick made such transparent comments because he has no qualms discussing injuries or his plans regarding personnel. Belichick is known for such frankness. Tomase is spot on here.

:confused: So you can never judge somebody's intelligence or reliability based on the quality of the opinions they express? Then what the heck CAN you judge them on?

If Tomase is being quoted accurately here and genuinely believes that "We look forward to working with Matt Cassel in 2009" was a deeply meaningful statement, that's just ridiculous. It's an empty platitude that BB would have said whether he was negotiating with Cassel to be the Pats' long-term starter, negotiating with the Lions and Vikings for draft picks, or, as I believe, negotiating with multiple teams to trade BOTH Brady and Cassel in order to rebuild the team from scratch with draft picks, because younger players are worth more than older ones.

(Remember, that last statement was an opinion, so it can't possibly indicate I'm a moron! ;))

Yes, Bill Belichick's comments were obviously an indication that he's unsure of Tom Brady's status for 2009. Belichick made such transparent comments because he has no qualms discussing injuries or his plans regarding personnel. Belichick is known for such frankness. Tomase is spot on here.

:idontgetit:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Because he sucks as a human being, and no offense to the OP, but his crap shouldnt even be posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back