Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
October 16th, 2007
Morris out this week and probably longer
Posted by John Tomase at 11:33 pm

Patriots running back Sammy Morris injured a bone in his chest during a freak collision and will miss this week’s game against the Dolphins and possibly a month, according to a league source.

According to the source, Morris injured the bone connecting the sternum to the clavicle and left the stadium in a sling and in excruciating pain. If there’s a positive, it’s that the preliminary diagnosis did not reveal any broken bones.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?p=1701

I'm sticking by what I previously said, 4-6 weeks.

shoulder_stclav_anatomy01.jpg

Last edited:
This is good news to me. After seeing the injury it looked like a broken collarbone or rib and possibly a season ending one.

Tomase has been extremely consistent on these injury scoops. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting. Hopefully, Morris DIDN'T break any bones and will be back within a month or so.

Morris injured the bone connecting the sternum to the clavicle

:wha:

I have no clue what he means by this. As the picture shows, the two are in direct contact. Moreover, how do you "injure" a bone in the first place?

I don't know. I guess it's possible to be some kind deep "bone bruise" without breaking it. Anyone?

:wha:

I have no clue what he means by this. As the picture shows, the two are in direct contact. Moreover, how do you "injure" a bone in the first place?

I was thinking this myself. He probably just worded it wrong. the key thing here is "connecting the sternum to the clavicle" This sounds like the sternoclavicular joint. It could be a fibrocartilage injury or even the costoclavicular ligament.

sterno2.jpg

Last edited:
i'm no doctor but it seems a deep bruise there would make it hurt to move or even breath

Regardless of the physiology behind it, if "possibly a month" is the likely worst case, that's not bad. It gets him back after the bye. We'll probably sign a big back to take 25% off of Maroney but there's only 3 games until after the bye.

Darn, I was hoping he simply got the wind knocked out of him. God bless Sammy!

Tomase has been extremely consistent on these injury scoops. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting. Hopefully, Morris DIDN'T break any bones and will be back within a month or so.

:eek:
Last week when he was the first to announce that Maroney would miss the game, everyone here jumped all over him. Not saying you said anything, but most people did.

I was thinking this myself. He probably just worded it wrong. the key thing here is "connecting the sternum to the clavicle" This sounds like the sternoclavicular joint. It could be a fibrocartilage injury or even the costoclavicular ligament.

sterno2.jpg

I know you can state this on a messageboard but let's hear you SAY that out loud! :D

Last edited:
I guess Brady James and Stephen Neal landed on him. I'm a little dissapointed usually Stephen Neal manages to hurt one of our offensive playmakers by himself...he must have lost a step.

why has no one mentioned seymour? is he ready? will he play? surprising lack of info on this

I guess Brady James and Stephen Neal landed on him. I'm a little dissapointed usually Stephen Neal manages to hurt one of our offensive playmakers by himself...he must have lost a step.

Sammy's a little tougher than Deion Branch so he had to solicit some help.

He is uncanny at his ability to hurt a teammate during the course of a season. Usually the O Linemen fall into each other. Maybe he'd be better off on Defense where flattening the small guys is in the job description.

Regardless of the physiology behind it, if "possibly a month" is the likely worst case, that's not bad. It gets him back after the bye. We'll probably sign a big back to take 25% off of Maroney but there's only 3 games until after the bye.

I wouldn't be surprised if NE uses this game to give Eckel a "tryout" to see whether they need to do this or not.

I also won't be surprised if Eckel does fine and NE signs no one.

Do you remember when Evans had to start at tailback? I fully expect them to go with Maroney, Faulk, Evans and Eckel. Morris is missed, but we will get by until he comes back, which is the good news.

Last edited:
With Tomase's getting correct the story on Maroney on Sunday...I must say that he seems to be getting more correct now..credibility IS important...So while I do not like Tomase in general...I do applaud his insight and good stories when he has them..as well as the scoops. I do think they will sign a RB...one is needed to get through the next month...It does seem like a month or so type of injury...painful...

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?p=1701

I'm sticking by what I previously said, 4-6 weeks.

At what point would they put a player on IR? Roster spots are valuable. Morris is a good player and I know the would like to have him back for the playoffs (going out on a limb and saying the Pats make the playoffs).

If he is expected to be able to return in 5 weeks? is that too long to wait? what about 6 or 7? anything over 7 he is as good as gone.

Last edited:
At what point would they put a player on IR? Roster spots are valueble. Morris is a good player and I know the would like to have him back for the playoffs (going out on a limb and saying the Pats make the playoffs).

If he is expected to be able to return in 5 weeks? is that too long to wait? what about 6 or 7? anything over 7 he is as good as gone.

Why? In 8 weeks, NE will be playing their 13th game. That gives Morris 4 weeks to get ready for the playoffs. Roster spots *are* valuable, but who is out there that even comes close to matching the value that Morris provides?

I suppose that giving him an injury settlement with the agreement that he be re-signed once healthy might work, but why even do that? I could see a case if NE had a bunch of guys hurting or if the RB position was really suffering, but neither is the case right now. Maroney is almost certain to return in this game (leaving NE with LoMo, Faulk, Evans, Eckel - which is fine) and everyone in NE's passing offense is fine.

I just don't see why so many are quick to discuss IR with Morris.

Get well soon, Sammy. Whatever the injury is, it looked like he was in some pain.

Watson was seen walking without a limp, so I hope he is back for the Colts (if not sooner).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes