PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase era over? Herald posts Patriots beat position for hire [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tomase era over? Herald posts Patriots beat position for hire

Thanks alot SMY , would have liked to seen Bryan Morry back or what ever happened with Shane Donaldson???

All -

Just for clarification, here's basically what happened to Albert: the Herald was getting stories/contributions from him even after its partnership with the MetroWest had formally ended. But then the word came down that the Herald wouldn't/couldn't use his stuff any more; Albert wanted to be hired by the Herald, but they hired Rob Bradford instead. He wanted to stay here in Boston because it's where he grew up. But the Herald didn't hire him, he got the job in Dallas, and the rest is history.

And thanks to those who nominated me for the Herald gig...it's good to know I have some cheerleaders out there. Actually, I very nearly left the ProJo a couple of months ago, but I think I'm staying put for the forseeable future.

Oh, and one more tidbit: Michael Parente, who used to cover the Pats for the Woonsocket Call, has been hired by Patriots Football Weekly to take the spot vacated by Tom Casale. Mike is a friend, and I think he'll do a good job. Plus, he has something few of us in the media have these days: a secure gig.

smy

That is a shame for Albert, because Bradford is gone from the Herald now..

If this is what we can expect from your friend Michael, he may be in for a rough go - here and in Foxboro...

"For the record, Belichick’s now-infamous rebuttal to the “Spygate” allegations, in which he claims he “misinterpreted” the rules, is no less flimsy or lame than Roger Clemens’ suggestion that Andy Pettitte “misremembered” a conversation between the two of them regarding performance-enhancing drugs. Thankfully, Goodell didn’t buy it either.

The bottom line is the Patriots still haven’t admitted they did something wrong. They’ve apologized for causing a distraction, but never said they were sorry for blatantly disrespecting NFL rules. They illegally skirted the league’s attempt to maintain competitive balance for eight years, yet they won’t fess up – much like Clemens, who refuses to admit he used performance-enhancing drugs while his defense, and credibility, continues to fall apart.

Others suggest that since the Patriots allegedly gained nothing from taping the New York Jets’ signals in Week 1 – the film was confiscated in the first quarter and New England broke the game open in the second half – they really didn’t do anything wrong. Ever hear of intent? I remember an episode of “Growing Pains” where Mike Seaver planned to cheat on a test by writing the answers on the bottom of his shoes. Turns out he put so much effort into doctoring his sneakers that he ended up memorizing the answers and didn’t need to use his unorthodox cheat-sheet after all. Mike eventually got caught he when he foolishly put his feet on top of his desk, and was subsequently punished. He never cheated, but he intended to, which is no better than actually committing the crime."

http://www.woonsocketcall.com/content/view/33423/

I will never understand what Fred bases his hires on.
As someone who resides on the outskirts of The Call's circulation area, I have some knowledge of the new hire's work. Holy ****, wait 'til you get a load of this guy...

Bryan Morry is working for the Patriots via the Hall at Patriot Place.

Bryan Morry is working for the Patriots via the Hall at Patriot Place.

I did know that, but thought maybee he would come back to the paper.. But I guess the paper biz is not what it was 10 yrs ago, thanks to the internet..

Re: Herald looking for new writer to cover the Pats

Plenty of wannabe's floating around here. This is your chance to shine people!! :woohoo:

Word up is that The DookFish applied but that the Herald editors had a brain siezure trying to decrypt his writing sample into paragraphs.

It's old news that they've been posting classified's in industry journals for a couple of weeks now. Fatso will be getting promoted to Rob Bradford's slot since he jumped to WEEI.com. That's the price he paid for walkthrough-gate...:violent:

The funny part of this ad is Hank's misleading description of where the applicants would be working:

"Description:
The Boston Herald, the authority of hard-hitting sports coverage and analysis in Boston"

And it's for not of, Hank... The Herald should be looking for competent editors, too. They won't attract anyone with the credentials they claim to require...

Not to mention I'm amazed they missed a golden opportunity and let a talent like Casale slip away...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

All -

Just for clarification, here's basically what happened to Albert: the Herald was getting stories/contributions from him even after its partnership with the MetroWest had formally ended. But then the word came down that the Herald wouldn't/couldn't use his stuff any more; Albert wanted to be hired by the Herald, but they hired Rob Bradford instead. He wanted to stay here in Boston because it's where he grew up. But the Herald didn't hire him, he got the job in Dallas, and the rest is history.

And thanks to those who nominated me for the Herald gig...it's good to know I have some cheerleaders out there. Actually, I very nearly left the ProJo a couple of months ago, but I think I'm staying put for the forseeable future.

Oh, and one more tidbit: Michael Parente, who used to cover the Pats for the Woonsocket Call, has been hired by Patriots Football Weekly to take the spot vacated by Tom Casale. Mike is a friend, and I think he'll do a good job. Plus, he has something few of us in the media have these days: a secure gig.

smy

SMY,

Thanks for the update. Boy the Herald blew it not hiring Breer. He really drew a strong fanbase in the short time he was being printed in the Herald and blogging on their website. I guess since it is a Red Sox town (especially from the media's perspective), I can see why they went for Bradford over Breer. Now they have neither though.

I would have nominated you for the Herald gig, but I figured you wouldn't want to move down in your career. :D Besides, the ProJo has been a good launching pad for other writers. Tom Curran is doing pretty well. Sean McAdam gets about as many or more broadcast media gigs as his Herald and Globe counterparts. Hopefully, you can see the type of success.

Re: Thomase Era Over!

I want to know the circumstances. Something is up. Hopefully, BSMW will have something about this. My guess is that Tomase realized that things were stacked against him being able to do business as usual following the walk-through story fiasco. Tough time for a newcomer to come in and get acclimated. But good riddance to Tomase, who should've been fired (or had the balls to quit) months ago.

Agreed. As Training Camp started up, Tomase must have realized that absolutely nobody on the Patriots was going to talk to him, and he was therefore completely unable to do his job.

Ha ha.

Word up is that The DookFish applied but that the Herald editors had a brain siezure trying to decrypt his writing sample into paragraphs.

That's actually not a bad plan.

Thanks for making me literally laugh out loud!

Anybody else feel something is inherently wrong with the label "rookie" under smyoung's name? Mods, any chance of creating another title for somebody who can be verified (a quick phone call or email) as a professional that covers the Pats? If anybody has earned and deserves a more respectful title, it's SMY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes