PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase article on Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's ridiculous that people puff out their "chests" and proclaim with some random, pathetic point of pride at not reading a fascinating, informative article THIS year because someone made a big mistake in reporting a story last year. The response to the Tomase affair has been hysterical in the extreme, to the point of the protestors going so overboard and making TOMASE the victim.
Big mistake? BIG MISTAKE? Locking the car keys in the trunk is a big mistake. Deleting the boss's presentation is a big mistake.

This was an inexcusable affront to millions of fans.

Driven by selfish ambition, this toad released to his editors a patently false story with no corroborating source, trashing the home town team on the eve of what could arguably have been the greatest game in the history of the NFL.

And not until all the evidence had been gathered did this selfsame toad admit he was wrong, across several pathetic attempts.

Big mistake? AAARGGGHH!!!!!

Big mistake? BIG MISTAKE? Locking the car keys in the trunk is a big mistake. Deleting the boss's presentation is a big mistake.

This was an inexcusable affront to millions of fans.

Driven by selfish ambition, this toad released to his editors a patently false story with no corroborating source, trashing the home town team on the eve of what could arguably have been the greatest game in the history of the NFL.

And not until all the evidence had been gathered did this selfsame toad admit he was wrong, across several pathetic attempts.

Big mistake? AAARGGGHH!!!!!

As bad as that fake story was, he could have sat on it until he got some corroboration, but he didn't. Because it was never about the story.

It was about how he could make the biggest splash possible by destroying the preparation of his home town team to make sensational headlines for himself while the whole world was watching.

He can rot in hell.

I will never forgive him.

I personally believe in accountability.

You lay a massive turd like Tomasse did and you man up.

His multiple weak-assed apologies were too little too late.

He should have been sh!t-canned for running with that BS story that all the other writers wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

He took a huge gamble and lost. Bad story...worse timing. Accept the consequences...don't carry on like you did nothing wrong.

The editors are just as culpable, but he wrote the POS.

It's time to move on from everything about last season. Including Tomase...if you want to read it by all means do, if not then dont. But I'm tired about hearing about his major F-up last Feb.

Everyone move on.

But, if that was the case, why would you disparage those of us who feel they can punish the Herald for its terribly inadequate handling of the situation and depraved integrity?
Because Patssox23 understands what Tomase is going through, how it feels when everyone despises you and thinks you are FOS.

Let 'em alone, both of them. Who gives a crap what either of them think. TC is only a couple weeks away, and in the meantime we can watch Brett Favre tear up whatever momentum GB has left.

It's time to move on from everything about last season. Including Tomase...if you want to read it by all means do, if not then dont. But I'm tired about hearing about his major F-up last Feb.

Everyone move on.
You say it like despising a slime ball is somehow a bad thing. Besides, it isn't just about last February. Most of us despised him long before that.

The editors are CLEARLY as much at fault or more...but that does NOT at all tale away from what he did...with the timing and the outright fabrication of the story.

See, guys, this is where you lost those of us who have a tempered view of the situation. With statements like "the outright fabrication of the story." This is the kind of overreach that infuriates the admittedly easily infuriatable like me. That's ******ED.

I am not defending the whole of what Tomase did, but frankly, given the RIDICULOUSLY non-proportional response from some of you people, I think what he did was, at the least, not willfully dishonest like "outright frabrication."

Aside from the fact that the Patriots taped the Rams walk through you mean?

The lunatic fringe believes that Tomase MADE THIS STORY UP out of wholecloth. That it couldn't be - NAH - a source which was unreliable, and whose story Tomase didn't vet responsibly. Nope, it can't be that, it's that he MADE IT UP! Maliciously. Good call, guys!

You're right. I'm the unreasonable one.

Driven by selfish ambition, this toad released to his editors a patently false story

Case in point. Breathless. Hysterical. Childish.

Tomase's editors knew everything. They know the source, the corroborating evidence, everything. This is journalism 101. But I fear I'm dealing with middle school English class.

Because Patssox23 understands what Tomase is going through, how it feels when everyone despises you and thinks you are FOS.

Nice, spacecrime. Hey, Mods - can we get a call no this? I got BANNED for 6 months by you people for less.

See, guys, this is where you lost those of us who have a tempered view of the situation. With statements like "the outright fabrication of the story." This is the kind of overreach that infuriates the admittedly easily infuriatable like me. That's ******ED.

I am not defending the whole of what Tomase did, but frankly, given the RIDICULOUSLY non-proportional response from some of you people, I think what he did was, at the least, not willfully dishonest like "outright frabrication."

He heard a rumor, but had no corroboration. A good reporter holds the story until he does. This thing had been going on for months and still would have been a relevant story after the Super Bowl.

Does he try to corroborate? No!

He wants to make a splash and the way to do it is to destroy the concentration of the Patriots by breaking this for maximum world publicity.

If it was true he still would have sucked, he knew he had no proof, but he wanted to do anything to promote his name and the team, the fans and the truth be damned!

892cap012.jpg

Last edited:

Excuse me...maybe you do NOT know anything about journalism...you have a possible story a BIG one..and only what one person claims...IS it NOT dishonest to run with it without taking the time and responsibility to be sure it is correct...having ANOTHER source for it?? THAT is journnalism 101...and Tomase FAILED miserably at that. THAT is hardly honest...And how HONEST is it to not own up to the mistake for months KNOWING it is not true and having to wait until the REAL facts come up to apologize?? Is that honest?? Please help me find the honesty in what Tomase did??
You seem more like an apologist for him.

Honestly, YOU guys saying this have less integrity than HE did in making the errors he made.
Explain please..less integrity?? you have called many "childish, hysterical:...called what many have said an over reach..DO explain how many on here who have issues what Tomase did have less integrity than him? please explain. "willfully dishonest"? is this some sort of oxymoron? So one can be dishonest and NOT willfully?? Please explain how Tomase was in anyway HONEST?? Mind you...there were Patriot haters like Easterbrook who had the same info that Tomase did but would not run with it BECAUSE they had no second source to back it up. Tomase did not care about the fans, the team OR more important than that, THE TRUTH!!

The lunatic fringe believes that Tomase MADE THIS STORY UP out of wholecloth. That it couldn't be - NAH - a source which was unreliable, and whose story Tomase didn't vet responsibly. Nope, it can't be that, it's that he MADE IT UP! Maliciously. Good call, guys!

You're right. I'm the unreasonable one.

You asked what facts he fabricated. He reported that the Patriots taped a walk through.

As I'm sure you know, if you believe his version of the events, that he didn't have a source.

Who are you saying fabricated this story if not Tomasse?

Last edited:
But, if that was the case, why would you disparage those of us who feel they can punish the Herald for its terribly inadequate handling of the situation and depraved integrity?

Well said.

And for patsox's FYI: I have and will continue to boycott reading BH and Mr. Tomase. I might start reading that rag if we win the SB this year. :)

Edit: I take back the FYI above. I responded based on the comments on page 3 and didn't read thru patsox's shrill responses later on. Now that I read them, I don't care what patsox or BH or Mr. Tomase write or think about.

Last edited:

Tomase's editors knew everything. They know the source, the corroborating evidence, everything. This is journalism 101. But I fear I'm dealing with middle school English class.

Are you Tony Massoroti(sp?)? This argument sounds very familiar. "Guys, he made a mistake...but it's ok. It's over and anyone who is still mad about it is a fat patriot jersey wearing bum. Tomase is the victim here!" (for proper affect, say above phrase in a high, shrill, piercing voice and run fingernails over a chalkboard at the end)

How can you say that Tomase's editors knew everything? How do you know this when Tomase has never released his source? What corroborating evidence did they have, because none was ever found? Journalism 101 is having a "source" tell you that he heard that the pats might have taped a walkthrough and then you run that as fact? That's a ridiculous statement patsox23...and even you can't believe that. Well, unless you are from the herald.

Last edited:
Nice, spacecrime. Hey, Mods - can we get a call no this? I got BANNED for 6 months by you people for less.

So now you're trolling around trying to get people banned.

But when I want to let Sporting News know what we think about them representing the Patriots with Jello belly, I'm over reacting.:rolleyes:

journalism 101 ?????

... and you have the audacity to infer that we have a middle school English class intellect?

Tomase's editors knew everything. They know...

the source - Okay, then they must have know he was a disgruntled former employee who was fired for secretely taping Pioli right?

the corroborating evidence - what corroborating evidence? There was none! Not unless you count the grapevine rumors and the knowledge that other papers *might* be running with the story soon. Is that what you are referring to?

everything - I guess 'everything' refers to that it was on the eve of the greatest game in the history of the Patriots and possibly the NFL and they were about to smear the credibility of the hometown team on spurious evidence at best.

You should take your head out of the sand and be a little more objective. Why should I or anyone else forgive him.

And for the record, I did thank the OP for posting the article even if I did feel compelled to take a much-deserved shot at Tomase. His actions have brought this on and many of us will not let it go until he is off the Patriots beat.

Reiss April

‘‘We certainly wanted to get younger and faster on defense, but I’ve been saying that for years, really since the ’01 season,’’ Belichick said.

‘‘I do feel like we improved our overall team speed, as well as getting some quality guys and some guys who have been productive.’’

So what was different this year that which finally allowed the Patriots to add a larger amount of that youth and speed to the defense?

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...li_patriots_quick_on_their_feet_at_nfl_draft/

"We certainly wanted to get younger and faster on defense," Belichick says, "but I've been saying that for the last six years."

So what changed this year, when the Patriots used five of their seven draft picks -- six if you count potential receiver-turned-safety Matt Slater -- on defense?

I'm not surprised, since he has no access, but this is the kind of warmed up leftovers we can expect from Jelly Belly John.

Journalism 101

How bout what makes news news......and one of the big criteria is Timeliness.

In other words what you are reporting should be done in a timely fashion.

It wouldn't make sense to put a News story out now about the Gulf war that is history now not news.

So now lets analyze that agianst how Tomase reported his story. OK so Story breaks about spygate back in September. Tomase either has already heard the Rams rumor or soon will. Now would be the time to report the story when its timeliness is relevant. But Tomase obviously didn't have enough faith in his story and put it on the back burner waiting on further confirmation or just sitting never to be used.

Now you tell me what happened next to make this all the sudden a news worthy story?

I'll give you my answer but feel free to offer your own Patsox.

Answer: Pats go to the Super Bowl, I can use this now because it will be a huge story that will get me national recognition. Also I hear NY Times may be running a similar story so that kinda sort of confirms mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back