PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase article on Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good snippet but it's old stuff from the rookie minicamp that had already been reported.

Are you saying he plagarized? Not Tomase.......:rolleyes:

Belichick is famous for the private instructions/challenges/one-liners he utters in such settings. They're just loud enough for the players on the field to hear -- and just quiet enough to disappoint anyone trying to eavesdrop from the sideline.

I'm sure that's by design and not a coincidence, Tomase - though I guess we can at least commend you for not making up a conversation to complete your story.

It was raining out. You don't think they let him in the bubble, do you?

Growing up would be a nice switch for this board. Awesome article. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Awesome article if you like a summation of other summations written about mostly old news. Old news just like Tomase, and sorry but I'm not about to praise him or anybody else for rehashing what's already been written. In fact, I can't think of one single reason to praise that self-serving * for anything at all. And just so I stay one step ahead ;), I won't be praising Mangini anytime soon either.

"Growing up"....You think there is problem with him not wanting to read Thomase anymore????

I think it's ridiculous that people puff out their "chests" and proclaim with some random, pathetic point of pride at not reading a fascinating, informative article THIS year because someone made a big mistake in reporting a story last year. The response to the Tomase affair has been hysterical in the extreme, to the point of the protestors going so overboard and making TOMASE the victim.

But hey, feel free to attach yourselves to the breathless crowd threatening lame-ass boycotts and the health of the guy's family.

Meaning what??

We should forgive and forget??

No harm - no foul??

Please explain.

Okay. It's a great, informative look into our top 10 rookie LB. I think it's ludicrous that people aren't reading it because John Tomase had a source lie to him and an editor make a bad call on letting the article go to print. The guy you people should ACTUALLY be mad at is Tomase's editor.

If you want to miss out on a terrific article, by all means, keep holding that grudge. See how far it gets you.

If you want to miss out on a terrific article, by all means, keep holding that grudge. See how far it gets you.
It's not a terrific article - it's a nice read if you didn't read all the same stuff already back in May. Maybe Tomase can recap the Super Bowl for us next.

Aweome article!
Thanks Tomase

I don't want to be nitpicky but I do have a few thoughts and comments:

When Mayo retreats to the sideline, he glues himself to veteran Tedy Bruschi, who gladly continues the lessons Belichick started.

Exactly who is Tomase's source on this? He doesn't say. I guess we should just believe him? I mean he couldn't just fabricate facts, could he?

It's safe to say, since Belichick arrived in 2000, the Patriots have never drafted a player like Mayo.

On this one I think some clarification from Tomase would be helpful.

Is that "safe to say" as in "safe to say the day before the Super Bowl that the Patriots taped the Rams walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI even though I have no confirmed source on that?" or "safe to say because I actually have a credible source on the record who is making such a statement and I'm not just making an assumption and stating it as a fact."

In the future if Tomase could clarifiy such matters it would be really helpful because he's got a minor problem with credibility in the eyes of some fans.

Exactly who is Tomase's source on this? He doesn't say. I guess we should just believe him? I mean he couldn't just fabricate facts, could he?

Yawn. In what world did he "fabricate facts?" Honestly, YOU guys saying this have less integrity than HE did in making the errors he made. At least he's owned up to them, and at least he wasn't being willfully dishonest.

Yawn. In what world did he "fabricate facts?" Honestly, YOU guys saying this have less integrity than HE did in making the errors he made. At least he's owned up to them, and at least he wasn't being willfully dishonest.

I haven't jumped on the Tomase-hate-wagon like most, but it's ridiculous that you are begrudging so many of their choice to not read someone because they have, already, practiced something short of journalistic integrity.

The pre-SB article is (and should be for a while) a pockmark on his career, a mark that will not be covered up with a hollow apology months later and only after the rumor was proven completely fabricated.

And this new article is nothing special.

I just think the bluster is out of control. The guy's been raked over the coals. His family has been threatened, and NONE of you seems to have any issue with the guy's EDITOR, whose fault this actually is.

Last edited:
I just think the bluster is out of control. The guy's been raked over the coals. His family has been threatened, and NONE of you seems to have any issue with the guy's EDITOR, whose fault this actually is.

None?

You can't make that statement based off of a thread about an article written by the man who wrote the original POS. If this were a thread about the Herald and people were only *****ing about Tomase - and only Tomase - I could see you saying that. But not right now. In fact, if I were seriously pissed off at the editors, the men who deserve as much blame as Tomase (not more or less), I'd boycott the paper, considering they've done everything in their power to keep private the names of the editors who gave that piece of garbage (the article not the man) the A-Okay stamp of approval.

But, if that was the case, why would you disparage those of us who feel they can punish the Herald for its terribly inadequate handling of the situation and depraved integrity?

patsox23 said:
But hey, feel free to attach yourselves to the breathless crowd threatening lame-ass boycotts...

The editors are CLEARLY as much at fault or more...but that does NOT at all tale away from what he did...with the timing and the outright fabrication of the story. As far as I am concerned he has NO credibility at all..NONE!! Owning up to it?? In his oroginal piece he never at all said he was sorry... a BIG oversight...As a Patriot fan, I have no sympathy for him at all. The editors?? The faceless goons who got away with it even more...and teh fact that the Herald has REFUSED to talk about that leads me to think the rag in other parts is just as pitiful.

Do you have a reason to forgive him other than you feel bad that he has to take crap??? you say he apoligized but it was not a good one(it required a second, and third on air attempt). If I tried that when I was a kid it would have illicited a "now say it like you mean it."

I would give it to the editor but Thomase is the one who put his name on the work sure the editor screwed up worse but he isnt the public face of the work.

Lastly, it is fine that you forgive him but why does it make me a child not to?

Aside from the fact that the Patriots taped the Rams walk through you mean?

Or apparently you're taking his explanation that he simply innocently misinterpreted an old statement and ran with that in a bombshell of a story the day before the Super Bowl as truth and at face value?

But of course. Why would he lie about that? It's just his entire reputation and career that was on the line. I guess if you go along with that then his report that the Patriots taped the Rams practice wasn't a fabrication at all. It just never happened.

But I guess technically you're correct. There actually were no facts in his report on the Rams taping. My mistake - and everyone else's - was assuming there were, or are anything that could be considered facts in the Boston Herald at all.

Shame on all of us for believing anything we read in that paper. We should assume, like you, that there are no facts - and therefore no fabrication of facts -and that none of it can be believed and we'll all be better off.

Just one other question. Do you think he came up with that explanation on his own? Or did his editor help him with that too and therefore bears responsibility for that lame excuse as well?

Last edited:
Do you have a reason to forgive him other than you feel bad that he has to take crap??? you say he apoligized but it was not a good one(it required a second, and third on air attempt). If I tried that when I was a kid it would have illicited a "now say it like you mean it."

I would give it to the editor but Thomase is the one who put his name on the work sure the editor screwed up worse but he isnt the public face of the work.

Lastly, it is fine that you forgive him but why does it make me a child not to?
I agree...If someone wishes to forgive him THAT is fine, but don't hold that standard to everyone else. Frankly, his apologies have been weak at best and hardly what was needed. How many days did he go on AFTER the Super Bowl, KNOWING that he had told a fabrication?? Tell me about someone with a conscience...who MIGHT HAVE admitted it way before he had to. Where was that?? Instead, ONLY when it was known it was a fabrication did he finally admit to it. Pretty poor character. And I am sure it was more than one editor that approved his story, which makes it even worse, but none the less, HE was the one who wanted the fame and the glory and tried to cut corners to get there. He should be laughed out of town.

I refuse to add a hit to a Tomase written article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back