PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase article on Jackson, WR's in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE_PATS_FAN_54

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With Jackson’s status so uncertain, the Patriots must prepare for next season as if they won’t have his services. Because the free agent market at wideout is so thin, that means they’ll most likely be looking to bolster their ranks through the draft.

Players like (Calvin) Johnson, Ohio State’s Ted Ginn Jr. and USC’s Dwayne Jarrett won’t be around when the Patriots pick. But they should have no shortage of mid-level prospects to choose from in the early to middle rounds.
Start with Ohio State’s Anthony Gonzalez. Though the 6-foot, 195-pounder has never had to serve as a lead receiver thanks to the presence of Ginn, Santonio Holmes and Michael Jenkins, he’s a smart route runner who has been compared to Wayne Chrebet and Wes Welker for his ability to play in the slot.

Those looking for a sleeper would be wise to remember New Hampshire’s David Ball, who smashed Jerry Rice’s Div. 1-AA career record for touchdown receptions (58). He projects to go in the middle rounds, thanks to his great hands and solid route-running skills.
He’s also been a Patriots fan his whole life.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=184702

Depending on Jarrett's 40 time, he may actally be available at around #20. He can be snagged with a trade up. Though many here don't like him, I actually think he's going to be awesome, he was incredible in his last game (The Rose Bowl ?). I like his size and physicality, and also has good hands.. I actually hope he has a bad 40 time,and we grab him at 24. Dallas Baker is another favorite of mine that could be had in the 3rd round. If not, maybe grab David Ball in the later rounds, great route runner with great hands.

Of course, none of this may happen, The Pats may shock us like they always do, and draft an offensive lineman in the first round, and not pick a WR until the 6th round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back