PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase adds an addendum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Face it, yesterday half the Herald staff was trying to re-enact the closing scene from Spartacus...

Half the Herald staff wanted to die on a cross on the side road and in their last dying moments see their wife show them their newborn baby?

You know what's WILDLY inappropriate? Posting this. A moderator who has a personal feud with a poster who then POSTS that the poster "just received an infraction." What a pathetic move.

Not at all. He's letting the rest of us know the situation has been and is being dealt with, and it's a subtle warning for the rest of us as well.

What's wildly inappropriate is the poster who continually tries to circumvent the rules complaining about being caught and punished.

The fact that Patsox randomly made up this 'Tomase's family has been threatened' thing, suggests to me he personally knows Tomase and the threats he has received NOT from this board, but in real life. No one has made any physical threats toward Tomase on this board. Patsox unintentionally revealed where he is coming from with that accusation.

In fairness to Patsox23, there have been a few idiots/kids who thought they were being internet Rambos by writing threats from the safety of their computers. Not many, less than 1% of the posters who have weighed in. Whenever their posts were seen by me and the other Mods, they were immediately deleted and given severe infractions. Personally I give an immediate 19 points for that (20 points is an automatic ban).

I am still waiting for an answer from Ian about an official Patsfans.com policy regarding violent threats.

Last edited by a moderator:
The paper and it's advertisers will not get any more of my business until Tomase is fired and his editor is demoted.
patsox23 = Tomase :eek:

Last edited:
Frankly, Tomase has had an axe to grind with Belichick for the last 2 seasons. Personally, I think this whole incident was a calculated attack on the man, on par to anything Borges ever wrote.

Frankly, Tomase has had an axe to grind with Belichick for the last 2 seasons. Personally, I think this whole incident was a calculated attack on the man, on par to anything Borges ever wrote.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why?

I don't know. Either a lack of access, or he thought he should step into the vacancy as Captain Negativity.

Last edited:
I believe the phrase we want is, "A day late and a dollar short"....

I tend to agree - and one reason I do think this could be the case is that as I mentioned earlier, writing such an article - whether he believed it to be true or not - effectively ended his chances at continuing to have any access within that locker room, with Belichick or with any of the players. It might as well have been a resignation from the Pats beat, b/c he has absolutely no ability to get into that locker room and offer anything to his readers now.

He had to realize this going in, and to me, the only thing that would let him ignore this fact and pen such a damaging article on such flimsy proof is some disdain for the man it hurt most - Belichick. He wasn't thinking of what was best for his career - in the long run - that's for sure.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It involved a jelly doughnut, Cool Whip, and a video tape of Fear Factor. I can't say anymore

Unfortunately, that is enough to go to print if you're the Herald.

No. It needs to be a punishment of those responsibile in the process. They basically need be made an example of so that other reports realize the consquenses of their actions? What does this whole event show their colleagues? Go for the big story whether you have the solid source or not. If your right, you make the big time. If your wrong, you issue an apology and move to a different beat.

It's as Shmessy has emphasized time and again - the problem is with those calling the shots, and I agree.

As long as those higher-ups remain, with no consequences to show for their reign of error, the same mindset will permeate that organization, for however long it lasts.

And that mindset, from a journalistic point of view, appears to be a very dangerous one. If you're a journalist or newspaper man, making up stories - major stories - out of whole fabric is no way to go through life. It's simply impossible to enjoy any kind of long-lasting success in your chosen field.

As it is, John Tomase is about to learn, first-hand, the meaning of the word "pariah". I mean, this isn't a boo-boo that can mended over with a kiss from Mom. It's a full blown catastrophe that's been life-changing for a number of people who were unnecessarily and unceremoniously smeared by an incompetent hack who, even now, doesn't realize fully what he's done, and is making efforts to "fix things" only because he's being pushed in that direction by forces he neither controls nor understands.

I didn't think real people lived in a world like this, insulated from events and themselves, but today's revelations sure seem scary to me.

I have no idea what will happen to Tomase and the Herald, but rest assured, it will pale in comparison to what these people have done to the Patriots organization.

Have we heard from his editor, who bears the ultimate responsibility for publishing a story that had no sources at a critical time?

Tomase deserves all the heat he's getting. But his editor deserves even more heat than that.

Last edited:
He's a still a fat POS hack. The fact that he calls himself a journalist is a friggin joke. I think the National Inquirer does more leg work than this moron.

Again, Mr. Tomase, far too little, far too late.

The only honorable course of action on your part is to resign.

no, that's not the ONLY action. He could off himself too, that would accomplish the same thing as resigning.

the only way people will forgive and forget Tomase is when he leaves MA for another state for GOOD.

Too late for personal apology OK. Tomase, SAVE your drama and BS for somebody else.

Tomase, you had 3 months to correct your mistake but you and your sorry arsses at Herald DID nothing because you EXPECT to be 'lucky' with your falsely accusation article. You intentionally misled the public with your article on last Feb. Your luck is running out and your time is up. It's time for you to RESIGN and relocate to another state.

As I said before, you are a disgraced journalist and opportunist.

Last edited:
Time to quote the Uncle Heatster Book on Life, rule #11: Forgive and Remember

Yes, John, you're forgiven. You f*cked up, but at the end of the day, it's still just football. Nobody died as a result of your dumbassery. But you must be high as Skylab to think the fans of this organization, let alone players and management, are going to forget what you did and trust you again. You'll be lucky if they even read your by-lines, and if they do, they'll be wondering what agenda you have.

It's just not going to work out here. Maybe you're old buddy Breer can get you a job in Dallas.

What he did was the journalistic equivalant of homicide. Spygate 1 was dead and buried before this story was published, Now look where we are.

It's as Shmessy has emphasized time and again - the problem is with those calling the shots, and I agree.

As long as those higher-ups remain, with no consequences to show for their reign of error, the same mindset will permeate that organization, for however long it lasts.

And that mindset, from a journalistic point of view, appears to be a very dangerous one. If you're a journalist or newspaper man, making up stories - major stories - out of whole fabric is no way to go through life. It's simply impossible to enjoy any kind of long-lasting success in your chosen field.

As it is, John Tomase is about to learn, first-hand, the meaning of the word "pariah". I mean, this isn't a boo-boo that can mended over with a kiss from Mom. It's a full blown catastrophe that's been life-changing for a number of people who were unnecessarily and unceremoniously smeared by an incompetent hack who, even now, doesn't realize fully what he's done, and is making efforts to "fix things" only because he's being pushed in that direction by forces he neither controls nor understands.

I didn't think real people lived in a world like this, insulated from events and themselves, but today's revelations sure seem scary to me.

I have no idea what will happen to Tomase and the Herald, but rest assured, it will pale in comparison to what these people have done to the Patriots organization.

Excellent take on this whole mess. I'm actually more angry now that he's given us the details of how the story got out. So reckless.

And Mas can absolutely go to hell also.

Apology not accepted.

That's harsh. I forgive him and wish him well writing for Des Moines Register. (Covering High School sports might be too hard for him, but with luck he'll grow into it.)

I would actually stand up and applaud Tomase, and shake his hand, if he voluntarily resigned and moved on to re-start his career. To me, that would show sincerely transformative professional character-building in process. All he did today was offer further evidence that he can't be trusted.

WHAT HE :yeahthat: SAID :explative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back