Tom Jackson "I picked the Pats big only to motivate the Jets"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Last edited:
I'm confused. Even if it were true (which I kind of doubt myself), why would he, a guy who is supposed to be an objective journalist for a national television network viewed everyday by millions, pick a team only to motivate another team? It would now seem as if he has some sort of bias.

I guess it goes to show just how intimidated he was by Bart Scott's post-game rant to Sal.

I'm confused. Even if it were true (which I kind of doubt myself), why would he, a guy who is supposed to be an objective journalist for a national television network viewed everyday by millions, pick a team only to motivate another team? It would now seem as if he has some sort of bias.

Seem? :rolleyes:

I think he has a close friendship with Bart Scott so I can see why Scott mentioned him in his arrogant post speech but still.......

I think any threads related to Tom Jackson should automatically have the profanity filter disabled.

I don't wish bad on anyone but this POS, I hope he chokes on a steak! The man is pure a-hole with a splash of douchebag.:rocker:

He's just hard up cause he never won anything and wasn't much of a player either....

yea this was my thought as well.

ESPN.com > Contact Us

I know fans of any team and any sport tend to be convinced the media hates them, the league hates them, the refs hate them - but at first glance this appears to be very unique. Local sports media being homers or haters is one thing; it's both accepted and expected. And even some national media have had a rooting interest - but it's been both obvious and admitted. Examples would be Bruschi and Rodney for the Pats, Hoge for the Steelers, Greenberg for the Jets, etc.

But I don't know that I have ever heard of a sports analyst who has been portrayed as unbiased by his employers and by himself - regardless of our thoughts - after the fact come out and say, 'hey, not only was I rooting for this team to win and that team to lose - but I did something that I felt would affect the outcome'.

His very last words, in an attempt to clarify: "it was done premeditated."

Think about that; he's saying he attempted to affect the outcome.

In case you're thinking I'm misrepresenting Jackson's intent, here again are his words:

"I played a bit of a psychological game with the Jets," Jackson explained. "I thought it was important that they have in their minds that they got beat 45-3 [their last time in New England] and that a large segment of the population thinks that could happen to you again."

"I wanted to further fuel them in a little of a cement -- cement them in that bunker mentality of 'us against the world,'" Jackson added.

"And so, I accept Bart's comments for what they were, but I hope that he understands that I actually am a fan of the Jets, and Rex Ryan, and that defense," he said. "I think that they were well served by the fact that, yes they were angry and they got a little angrier, and I think it served them well on the field."

Frankly I don't think Jackson's comments affected the outcome - and that is not based on my disdain for his choice of sides. For him to pat himself on the back for the win is a whole separate discussion.

However for him to take sides and attempt to affect the outcome - that is a very slippery slope from which I see no return. What's next, espn analysts looking at the coaches all-22 film and giving pointers to one team? Doing the same thing but misleading their opponent? CBS and FOX doing something similar in hopes of setting up a playoff match between big market teams that they can get bigger ratings from?

The NFL and their business partner, espn, has a choice to make here. Goodell has been on his soapbox about integrity of the league and not tarnishing the brand. I know it's difficult to distinguish when exactly that line is crossed, but a national sportscaster admitting that he was attempting to influence the outcome of a game?

I'd say that's crossing the line.

Jackson should be fired.

Just another media clown who hates the Patriots. Another reason to get your NFL info from something other than ESPN. I choose Sirius 124 myself.

You guys, it's Tom Jackson and ESPN. What else would you expect....fair, intelligent, unbiased reporting?:bricks:

from what Ive heard this morning, he is taking back his " I was tryting to motivate the Jets" excuse. So he is backtracking on his backtrack. How this guy still has a job is beyond me. He's an embarressment. ESPN has no shame.

From this point forward, every pick this guy makes on ESPN should be viewed with a jaundiced eye. If this network wasn't such a journalistic joke, Jackson would have been called on the carpet already and asked a very simple question: "What the hell is going on here?"

Last edited:
so espn is paying reporters to pump up certain teams? dont people watch the show to get the analysts true opinions. is espn deceiving the public?

is that what news does?

Honestly I just started laughing when I read the title of this thread.

How old is Tom Jackson mentally, like ten?

I don't wish bad on anyone but this POS, I hope he chokes on a steak! The man is pure a-hole with a splash of douchebag.:rocker:

He's just hard up cause he never won anything and wasn't much of a player either....

I think he is an a- hole and should be fired but he was a pretty decent player with 40 sacks and 3 pro bowls on his resume....Now however,he is a joke

alot of ex players have a bias

shannon sharpe, sterling sharpe, marshall faulk, keyshawn jackson

just wait till ocho cinco lands a tv gig after he retires

so espn is paying reporters to pump up certain teams? dont people watch the show to get the analysts true opinions. is espn deceiving the public?

is that what news does?

that actually IS the gameplan for news these days

see fox news

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes