PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran thinks Tank Williams, Ben Leber, Fujita and Finneran potential pats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
TC thinks these guys may be on the Pats Radar....

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060311_11pats.e9c2b36.html

Even blabbermouth teams tend to dummy up at the start of free agency. As a result, it's easier to paddle the Atlantic with a whisk broom than get information from the Patriots.

Maybe that's overstating it. Either way, with free agency opening at 12:01 this morning, yesterday constituted the calm before the start of the 2006 free agency storm.

The Patriots are in good stead. They have about $17 million in room under the $102 million cap and can do some damage. It will be interesting to see whom they target.

First, some words on a few Patriots who became ex-Patriots after midnight. As of yesterday afternoon, Willie McGinest's agents hadn't been contacted about keeping the veteran linebacker in New England. Interest, meanwhile, continued to roll in. Either the Patriots are allowing other teams to make their offers for McGinest and then decide whether or not they'll match them or they are hesitant about retaining him.

Tank Williams? I don't know a hell of a lot about this guy (besides he has a cool name), but he sounds like a leading candidate. Thoughts anyone?
I'm not very comfortable with our situation at SS.

All names I can see coming here. Some others I'd be looking at: WRs Keenan McCardell and Jeruvicious, T Jon Runyan.

I'd mention FS Chris Hope. Signing a young, up and coming safety and moving Geno back to CB may have a greater impact than signing a CB in FA. With Sam Madison gone, the biggest names are Nate Clements (probably too expensive) and Charles Woodson (no chance). After that, it's just nickel types. And, ever though we've had recent success with rookie defensive backs, it's not sound draft strategy to expect a righ roung CB to contribute as a rookie.

BB loves McCardell but he is not a FA. He signed an extension with SD through 2006 shortly after they traded for him in 2004.

Reiss mentioned a bunch as well...
I do think a vet like Tank would be a welcomed addition to the Pats. A hard hitting safety..would give the young ones time to get up to playing more/and or allow flexibility for a Hawkins or Wilson to go to CB. It will allow Harrison to come back smoother as well. With few CBs on the horizon and the rarity of snatching up a young CB in the draft, this is a possible solution to the problem. Can never have enough good CBs...and a physical saefety?? Just what one could see happening.
Fujita, Leber or Scott, the latter two being ILBs that might pair up nice with Bruschi. looking for beef there to stop the run..replace the under rated TedJ.
Fujita could indeed also be a good candidate for the Elephent position that WillieMcG had for awhile. These aren't the big names, but they are just what this D needs.
I also like Finneran or Jureviscious...or another similar receiver for that 2nd position. But who knows who they really want?? Who they see will fit in with their plans. I can not wait to see it all play out!!!

I say get Adam Archuletta

I think many teams will go after him...meaning top dollar..meaning he won't make it to NE. Tank WIlliams may not have the name and is older, but will be a solid addition for a few years until one of the rooks moves in.

Phokus said:
I say get Adam Archuletta

I just don't see how he fits in NE. Our defensive system values versatility over all else.

Archuleta has none. He's only an 8th man in the box S (and a really good one in that role). He can't cover at all. He is a total liability in the passing game and because of that he needs to be protected at all times which really limits what you can do for coverages and blitzes in the defensive backfield.

Pats726 said:
Reiss mentioned a bunch as well...
I do think a vet like Tank would be a welcomed addition to the Pats. A hard hitting safety..would give the young ones time to get up to playing more/and or allow flexibility for a Hawkins or Wilson to go to CB. It will allow Harrison to come back smoother as well. With few CBs on the horizon and the rarity of snatching up a young CB in the draft, this is a possible solution to the problem. Can never have enough good CBs...and a physical saefety?? Just what one could see happening.
Fujita, Leber or Scott, the latter two being ILBs that might pair up nice with Bruschi. looking for beef there to stop the run..replace the under rated TedJ.
Fujita could indeed also be a good candidate for the Elephent position that WillieMcG had for awhile. These aren't the big names, but they are just what this D needs.
I also like Finneran or Jureviscious...or another similar receiver for that 2nd position. But who knows who they really want?? Who they see will fit in with their plans. I can not wait to see it all play out!!!

Pats726 -
You must have Tank Williams confused with someone else because TANK is only 25 years old. So, he is one of the young ones and would be a STEEL for the Patriots.

I agree with everything else you have said except that I disagree about Fujita. I don't think he's big enough to play the elephant position. Especially since he's giving up 25 lbs to McGinest.

DaBruinz said:
Pats726 -
You must have Tank Williams confused with someone else because TANK is only 25 years old. So, he is one of the young ones and would be a STEEL for the Patriots.

I agree with everything else you have said except that I disagree about Fujita. I don't think he's big enough to play the elephant position. Especially since he's giving up 25 lbs to McGinest.
I am well corrected tyhank you!!!! yes..he is MUCH younger..hmmm not sure what williams I was thinking of..in that case you are right..it would be a steal!!
I think it may be closer to about 30 pounds, not 25..wonder if he could bulk up some..but again, sp[eed may be more importnat than weight. He is as tall as Willie..actually the young guy who I loved...was Andre Torrey..who is part of NFLE..Texans. Thanks for the correction!!

Vikings | Leber will visit team Saturday
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:15:32 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent LB Ben Leber (Chargers) will visit with the Minnesota Vikings on Saturday, March 11. It is expected he will sign a contract to play with the team.

And it appears Jurevicius is going to Cleveland.

If Leber signs with the vikes then that will be a shame. Good young talent who would've fit in good with our club. Poor guy, it seems like whenever anyone signs to play for the vikes they go downhill. Just to add to what I just said. I honestly don't think the Pats will sign any of these players. I sure as hell hope no Fujita. I don't know, but there just seems to be something wrong with those chiefs def. players if you ask me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey