PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Patriots used the Colts game to experiment with players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to convince myself that Curran's article is 100% spot on so the burning hatred I still feel toward the fourth quarter dwindles into my disdain for the Jets normality.

Look, you might be right, but you do remember a week ago they looked pretty solid against the Eagles? Right?

And I hope you don't believe everything BB says to the media.

So I should believe he was really telling his team Indy was a push over? Since I cant believe what BB says?

LOL! And that was why Nick McDonald started at center or Niko Koutouvides started at OLB or Nate Jones got significant time at safety? Sorry, but it was clear the Pats were trying out a lot new players. It wasn't just safety or the secondary where they made changes. There were back ups everywhere from Cannon to Ridley to Underwood who got a decent amount of time.

I'm sorry, were you not aware the injuries at C? Jones over Moore, wow how much clearer could that have been to me :rolleyes:

Delusional people are arguing BB started scrubs over our usual scrubs at those positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
:singing: The awesome naivety of this statement is the best. I'm nominating this for "Chicken Little" post of the day.

Congratulations sir.

An unfortunate but accurate description. I'm not sure what it is -- frustration, fear, whatever -- that makes some fans so adamant and absolute in their negativity. Obviously there are concerns with the Patriot defense. Why that translates to 'everything must suck!' is puzzling........

Some of this stranger than starting a practice squad cornerback at safety? Lest we forget, Slater was listed at safety and WR when he started here and played some in college.

Did Endleman play cornerback in college, or anywhere? Why wouldn't he try experienced Nate Jones as a starter? He's the most experienced DB we have, no? Who besides Wendel has played center, now that we're down to #4.

Curran is just being a ****. I don't really like him since his personality change. Seems like he's just another wise ass who knows more than Belichick now, I guess the national audience eats that up.

We played the meat of our schedule and are going to be creative and find players that can help our weak spots, while keeping it interesting against supposedly easier squads.

That's why Belichick is a three time champion and Curran writes for some web page.

Clearly this explains why McCourty can't cover anyone in man to man coverage.

Last edited:
Luckily he wasn't TOO ****y and didn't decide to do this with two more minutes left on the clock than there was. The way the defense played (353 yards, 2 TD's, and only 7 incompletions forced on Orlovsky... LOL), this game might have gone into overtime. I'm not sure any NFL game is a good time to experiment with street JAGs on your roster. I would think that the best time to do that is in practice. But eh, what do I know?

Luckily he wasn't TOO ****y and didn't decide to do this with two more minutes left on the clock than there was. The way the defense played (353 yards, 2 TD's, and only 7 incompletions forced on Orlovsky... LOL), this game might have gone into overtime. I'm not sure any NFL game is a good time to experiment with street JAGs on your roster. I would think that the best time to do that is in practice. But eh, what do I know?

what makes you think the game could have possibly went to overtime? The last 14 points were garbage points. The game was not as close as it seemed

what makes you think the game could have possibly went to overtime? The last 14 points were garbage points. The game was not as close as it seemed

The Colts were able to move the ball on us all day. We were lucky that it wasn't closer earlier in the game because they were starting a horrible, third string quarterback. The same quarterback that presided over the 0-16 Detroit debacle a few years back. And the game could have went into overtime if we started experimenting with guys a few minutes earlier than we did. The offense went cold and the "experimental" defense couldn't stop a pee-wee offense.

So I should believe he was really telling his team Indy was a push over? Since I cant believe what BB says?
No, I don't think so. I believe BB preaches that you need to play hard no matter who we play or what we tell you to do.

The Colts were able to move the ball on us all day. We were lucky that it wasn't closer earlier in the game because they were starting a horrible, third string quarterback. The same quarterback that presided over the 0-16 Detroit debacle a few years back. And the game could have went into overtime if we started experimenting with guys a few minutes earlier than we did. The offense went cold and the "experimental" defense couldn't stop a pee-wee offense.

If the situation were different the Pats would be playing different anyway. The game was basically over at the 2 minute mark, so why start passing when there is no way for them to logically come back barring turnovers?

How often do you see good defenses like the Steelers roll out three street JAGs to experiment in a game? I'm not buying it. The reason why he needs to "experiment" now is because his other guys aren't working. If it wasn't for Brady this game would've been a matchup between the NFL's worst in the annual toilet bowl.

Last edited:
How often do you see good defenses like the Steelers roll out three street JAGs to experiment in a game? I'm not buying it. The reason why he needs to "experiment" now is because his other guys aren't working.

Do the steelers have more than half their defense on IR?

Do the steelers have more than half their defense on IR?

Please, none of the defensive "stars" are on IR. And even when the team was healthy at the start of the year they still got torn up.

Please, none of the defensive "stars" are on IR. And even when the team was healthy at the start of the year they still got torn up.
When your whole secondary is either hurt or on IR, it doesn't really matter if they are stars or not. Name one corner who has been healthy all year that you can say is even good?

When your whole secondary is either hurt or on IR, it doesn't really matter if they are stars or not. Name one corner who has been healthy all year that you can say is even good?

Kyle Arrington. Game, Set, Match.

I watched the game again. In the 1st qtr, on some downs, Pats had their two DEs-Carter and Ninko, in 4 pt stance in a wide 9 4 man line. But unlike the Titans, Lions and Eagles DTs (though this kinda looked like the Titans alignment,) our DT's were playing 1-2 tech and the other DT was playing 3 to 4th tech.

Never seen that alignment from the Pats D before.

In the 1st qtr, FS was Slater, SS was Jones, MLB was Nino K and the nickel CB/S was Jeff Ideg.

The Colts were able to move the ball on us all day. We were lucky that it wasn't closer earlier in the game........

In the first half of the game, the Colts had 1 long drive for a FG. I won't even discuss the goal line stand on that drive though that is what you want from this defense, however, the remaining possessions were all 3 and outs (-1, 8 and -3 yardage gained on 3 possessions for 4 yards in offense and a net total of 71 yards of total first half offense). Now take a look at that statistic for the entire half of one game then match it up with *the Colts moved the ball on us all day and we were lucky to not have a closer game earlier*. Do you believe what you stated matches up with the facts?

In the second half the Patriots took the opening KO and made the score 24 to 3. On the ensuing possession, the Colts gained 43 yards (reaching to approx. the Patriot 42 yard line) before the Patriot defense got a turnover. The Patriots then immediately marched down and made the score 31 - 3 with about 4 minutes to go in the third Quarter (everyone thinking the game is basically over at this point). At the end of the quarter, the Colts had moved the ball to about their own 40 having gained approx. 30 yards before the end of the 3rd quarter.
Total after 75% of the game, the Colts had reached the red zone once and additionally had crossed midfield once (reaching the Patriot 42 yard line). So again, 'the Colts moved the ball on us all day and we were lucky to not have a closer game earlier' seems incompatible with the facts.

The Patriots looked horrible in the 4th quarter (both offense and defense). They made a very comfortable lead become less than comfortable with lackluster to poor play on both sides of the ball. However, a media pundit and some odd personnel choices points to BB doing some possible in game experimenting. Do you have anything whatsoever in terms of anecdotal evidence to suggest the Patriots were not doing what is suggested?

* Titans, Lions and the Eagles are the ones who run the wide 9 Defense. Just interesting though.

* Titans, Lions and the Eagles are the ones who run the wide 9 Defense. Just interesting though.

Do the Titans still? I thought they switched things up after Washburn left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back