Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tom Curran: Mallett to the Texans may soon be done.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, May 8, 2014.

1. manxman2601

manxman2601 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +589 / 7 / -2

#24 Jersey

That's what worries me. i'm not a big fan of him. Still, a cheap three year backup is OK I suppose.

2. ripatsfan91

ripatsfan91 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +80 / 5 / -1

Mallet played in the SEC and was considered a top ten pick before character concerns and rumors of drug use torpedoed his draft stock. All of this has been unfounded.

Mallet has been on an NFL roster for three years and a HOF coach felt comfortable enough cutting a QB who had been on the roster for several years and making him the only QB besides Brady...

So again Mallet > Bortles

Trading their 3rd for Mallet would allow Houston to take BPA for the first two rounds... win win for both teams

3. Froob

Froob Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -3

#32 Jersey

Not so sure Mallett is far better than any NFL QB. I'll be estatic if we get at least a 4th for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

One played in the SEC and the other played in the Conference USA and one year in the American conference or whatever its called? Not really apples to apples.

5. scott99

scott99 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +184 / 78 / -67

#87 Jersey

Yup, gimme a 3 in a good draft, and I walk away smiling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I'm in no way delusional and think we can get a 1st for Mallet. But he was a potential top 10 pick, definitely a first round QB coming out if not for his rumored drug use.

O'Brian coached the dude for two or three years.

Far too many people are selling him short on here. If Broyles is considered a top QB and Teddy Bridgewater is considered a top 3-5 guy in this draft QB wise then Mallet would be the cream of the crop if he were draft eligible tonight probably only behind Johnny Football.

7. SB39

SB39 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Watching his preseason play goes a long way towards that evaluation.

He was a 3rd round draft pick 3 years ago. He has done nothing to increase his value since then. Period.

8. Sfpat

Sfpat 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +54 / 2 / -0

#80 Jersey

9. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

When you play against the 2's and 3's you also are playing with the 2's and 3's. That is a factor that I think a lot of people forget to take into consideration. Some of us were telling the sky is falling crowd that when Brady went down and Cassel stepped in.

10. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Just because some mediots considered him a top-10 pick doesn't mean he ever actually was

There isn't a single team in the league that would have dropped him from the top-10 to the 3rd round based on his issues. They may have dropped him to the 2nd round, but nobody would have passed on him 3 times when they were otherwise willing to take him in the top-10.

Mallett was a 3rd round pick 3 years ago, and has done nothing to increase his value since then. If anything, his value has gone down because he now only has 1 year left on his rookie contract.

11. chasa

chasa 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +361 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

hes shown just as much as cassell did then Cassell allowed us to win 10 games without brady, And we ended up trading cassell who then had a probowl caliber year before the chief imploded.

I'd say BoB views mallet as at least a better stop gap then any of the current FA/Rookies and thats certainly worth at least a 4th. would we make that trade? who knows. But I think its absurd to think BoB wouldn't trade for mallet because you think hes mediocre. BoB has coached him, and all You have done is judged him from your lazy boy recliner.

12. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,725 / 19 / -12

Disable Jersey

Why would we make such a trade? Leave a hole in the backup QB position with most breathing FA QB backups already signed, for what?

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

You know someone has reached the end of their pathetic argument when they pull the old appeal-to-authority fallacy.

It's especially hilarious how you are taking the fallacy one step further by assigning an opinion to O'Brien that he has not expressed, and then saying O'Brien knows more than me so he must be right.

I mean, if we're just going to make stuff up, then I'll say Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick and Chuck Noll all think Mallett sucks, and they know more than you sitting on your lazy boy recliner, so they must be right.

14. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Great, #1 overall would work for me. Actually, maybe I'll need them to throw in a future 2nd

15. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +251 / 28 / -15

#12 Jersey

what QB do you like to back up Brady?

16. PatriotsInGA

PatriotsInGA In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

If this trade goes down then I demand Aaron Murray please :D

17. chasa

chasa 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +361 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

you know someone has reach the end of their weak argument when their entire argument is "i think hes a mediocre talent"

Reason's BoB might trade for mallet:

1.) this QB class is garbage, none of the QB's have first round talent

2.) A lot of teams need a QB, so much so that there may be a panic with lots of people trading into the bottom of the first to snag Garbage round 2 quality Qb's

3.) The best QB that might be available at pick 33 could be Aj Maccaron, or *shudder* david carr(imagine the texans draft a second Carr there would be riots)

4.) BoB has coached mallet before, knows hes not a character issue, and knowns hes capable(if maybe not Great) of running his offense

5.) Mallet might be available for as little as a 3rd round pick, possibly something involving a combo of later picks

Reason The texans might not be interested in a trade for mallet

1.) SB39 on patsfans.com thinks mallet is a mediocre talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Peyton Manning. :D

19. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +209 / 1 / -1

#91 Jersey

I don't see much value in arguing his value in respect to his ability because everything we can say is purely speculative. I view his trade value (at least to the Patriots) in terms of what has already been invested in him. They sunk a 3rd round draft pick into him and then invested three years of roster spots, salary cap, and coaching assets. He has done nothing to lower his ability to compete at an NFL level in that time, all while learning under Brady, Belichick, and two world class offensive coordinators with different approaches and minds. A lateral move for a 3rd rounder in my mind would be a losing deal for the Patriots. Mallett and a mid-round pick for 33 should be the only deal they would take.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

That is a real stretch of logic especially considering the drug was Heroin not pot. Pot dropped Hernandez from a projected late 1st to early 2nd round to the fourth round and if the QB needy teams drafted a guy in the first or 2nd round then there is a free fall. I think Heroin use is a reason enough to fall two rounds.