PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Mallett to the Texans may soon be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i long ago advocated swapping 2nds with Houston for Mallett, not that I thought it would happen.
Trading Mallett for Houston's 3rd makes little sense unless the Pats are convinced they have a sleeper developmental QB that will fall to one of their 4ths. And that I don't believe because nobody, not even BB can predict what 31 other GMs will do for over 100 picks.

Ryan Mallett must feel like Schrödinger's cat. :D

Let me play devil's advocate. If you are houston, why would you trade a future HOFer for a bunch of picks that might not pan out? There is no guarantee with mallet either.

Clowney and his 3 sacks in his Senior season is a future HOFer, but everyone else might not pan out?

One thing that is kind of interesting. Mallett made the comment today that he was blessed three
years ago to have been drafted by the Patriots. Does he know something we do not know?

Clowney and his 3 sacks in his Senior season is a future HOFer, but everyone else might not pan out?

Haha, I'm not saying clowney is....manxman feels he is HOF material. I'm just playing devil's advocate with him. I personally am not in favor trading a boatload of picks for clowney.

rapport saying that theres no deal but Texans are interested.

I see BB getting more than just a 3rd round pick for Mallett, who probably would be the #1 rated QB and possible #1 pick were he in this draft.

I see BB getting more than just a 3rd round pick for Mallett, who probably would be the #1 rated QB and possible #1 pick were he in this draft.

There's no way Mallett would be the #1 pick in this draft.

You guys see that post I made about an hour ago saying you'd be amazed at how much some people in this forum are overrating Mallett?

Yeah, the above is the exact sort of thing I am talking about.

I think if they trade for Mallet its MORE likely they go QB. Mallett will be the stopgap.
I cannot see BOB banking the success of his first NFL HC job on Ryan Mallett.
I think they will give him every opportunity to succeed in 2014 and if he does not show promise, they will move on and select a franchise QB in the 2015 draft.

O’Brien is a bright coach; if he wants Mallett, he has confidence in Mallett. I would rely on Mallett more than any QB in this draft, and the difference is O’Brien can move on after this season if Mallett does not work out without so much as a cap hit.

There's no way Mallett would be the #1 pick in this draft.
I agree, but you could make a compelling case that he would have been the first QB off the board in this draft and last years draft.

I think they will give him every opportunity to succeed in 2014 and if he does not show promise, they will move on and select a franchise QB in the 2015 draft.

O’Brien is a bright coach; if he wants Mallett, he has confidence in Mallett. I would rely on Mallett more than any QB in this draft, and the difference is O’Brien can move on after this season if Mallett does not work out without so much as a cap hit.
The short length of time remaining on his contract cuts both ways. Sure if he sucks you can move on without him and he is off the books right away. But if he succeeds, he can leave you high and dry for some other team, or put you in the extremely uncomfortable position of having to franchise him.

I agree, but you could make a compelling case that he would have been the first QB off the board in this draft and last years draft.
How can you do that? 3 years ago, he was a 3rd round pick and IIRC the 5th QB taken that year. He has done nothing since then to increase his value.

You guys see that post I made about an hour ago saying you'd be amazed at how much some people in this forum are overrating Mallett?

What is the reason you feel he is overrated? The reality is that Mallett could be the second best QB in the entire NFL and he still would be riding the pine because he backs up the best QB maybe ever. His preseason numbers have been solid considering he took the field with players that did not even make the roster and if they did, were second and third string players.

Mallet in college > Bortles in college.

Now, Bridgewater and Manziel may be different, but you've had Mayock bag on Manziel and the whole world seems to be doubting Bridgewater. Take away the drugs question from Mallet, and he's a late 1st round pick.

#1 is overrating Mallet.

But if you are telling me that Bortles is a better than Mallet and has higher upside, I am gonna tell you you are wrong

How can you do that? 3 years ago, he was a 3rd round pick and IIRC the 5th QB taken that year. He has done nothing since then to increase his value.
I disagree; Mallett has done plenty to increase his value. The concerns that caused Mallett to drop were character issues, mobility in the pocket, and conditioning. He has been nothing short of perfect character wise, after being sacked 6 times in his first preseason he has been sack 3 times in the last two and just once last preseason and he lost about 20lbs between his rookie and second season to significantly improve his body.

How about Mallet + #29 for Texans #33 and #65..

Would work for me..

I say absolutely no to that. The move down alone is worth a 4th. This looks like Mallet & a 4th for a 2/3 tweener. Whereas you keep Mallet and get a 4th next year regardless.

if this happens i would be SHOCKED if we got anything better then a 3rd and a 5th for him.

Swapping 2nd's and them getting mallet isnt worth it imo

What is the reason you feel he is overrated?
Please let me clarify: I don't think Mallett is overrated because I don't think anybody - outside this forum - thinks he is worth all that much.

But some people in this forum, for some reason, have lost their minds. Sorry, but when someone says he would possibly be the #1 pick in the draft, that is someone who is overrating Mallett to laughable extremes.

He was a 3rd rounder 3 years ago, and has done nothing to improve on that since then. If anything, he is worth less because he only has 1 year left on his rookie deal.
His preseason numbers have been solid considering he took the field with players that did not even make the roster and if they did, were second and third string players.
And he was playing against 2nd and 3rd string players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back