PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran last night on Sports Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Said its not a sure thing that Moss is back this year since hes due six plus million. Felger said it doesnt matter since there is no cap, Curran says he's hearing the Krafts may not pay that since they need to fill their "slush fund" in case their is no football in 2011. Also said that Pees wanted a better situation. If this is true its not encouraging, but goes along with my thinking that they would pull the pre-strike bruins aproach of CBA uncertainty as a reason not to spend. Remember Patriots Place did not come cheap, and JK himself saying you cant be competitive every year (change of tune from years past), this may be a frustrating 2 years for us.

Now cue the Curran is a hack who was wrong about brady so he's wrong about everything posts.

Said its not a sure thing that Moss is back this year since hes due six plus million. Felger said it doesnt matter since there is no cap, Curran says he's hearing the Krafts may not pay that since they need to fill their "slush fund" in case their is no football in 2011. Also said that Pees wanted a better situation. If this is true its not encouraging, but goes along with my thinking that they would pull the pre-strike bruins aproach of CBA uncertainty as a reason not to spend. Remember Patriots Place did not come cheap, and JK himself saying you cant be competitive every year (change of tune from years past), this may be a frustrating 2 years for us.

Now cue the Curran is a hack who was wrong about brady so he's wrong about everything posts.

Does Curran know that the networks still have to pay even if there's no football in 2011?

Last edited:

I cannot stand FELGER!! :mad:

Anyway, I'm not surprised that Pees wanted "a better situation" a.k.a. he wants to actually run a defense. As long as Belichick is the coach no Defensive Coordinator will actually run a defense. They will implement BB's plan and I'm sure offer input here and there.

That's why young coordinators are probably a better fit for us. They can learn under BB and then move on. We will never have a DC who is just going to be able to come in and take over the defense, so that probably turns off a lot of the more established guys in the business.

I'm curious what the "better situation" for Pees might be? Not sure Pees has the right defensive play calling rhythm to be a top DC.

I think that this offseason hinges on Wilfork. If we franchise him and can't come to terms with him, we'll be forced to trade him. If this happens we'll get a first round pick and our defense will take a huge step backwards.

If this happens we probably should trade Randy, for two reasons. 1. We will need to rebuild and what he gives us won't push us over the top. 2. We will need to become more of a ball control offense so that the defense spends less time on the field.

Curran used the example "champ bailey or wilhite"

Moss is dependent on what happens to brady. With the tradition of player reps getting booted i see matt light gone. That leaves brady and if Arizona calls i can see a 1st,bolden,leinhart and 3rd for brady happening as he will be in the NFC .

Curran and Felger don't know anything more than the rest of us. I can almost guarantee Moss will be back next year. You don't have to be in the know, you just need common sense.

Moss is dependent on what happens to brady. With the tradition of player reps getting booted i see matt light gone. That leaves brady and if Arizona calls i can see a 1st,bolden,leinhart and 3rd for brady happening as he will be in the NFC .

Yea that's not going to happen, WTF. Brady is the GOAT, he's not being traded.

Why? The Pats won three SB's with a DC that was close in age to BB. That logic makes no sense.

Maybe I should have been clearer.

What I mean is Bill Belichick really runs that defense, we can agree on that right? So therefore any DC that comes in is going to have to come to terms with that and just deal with it. That's a lot easier for a younger guy to do because to them, a chance to learn and coach under Belichick is the opportunity of a lifetime. For a more established guy, who has his own idea for how a defense should be run, would have a harder time dealing with our system.

What is ridiculous is that a comment such as 'Curran is hearing' what the organization plans to do is taken seriously.
There is absolutely no way that anyone in the organization would be sharing inside plans with Curran or anyone who he could hear it from.
For years, fans have taken this supposed 'inside info' from Foxborough serioulsy and it has always turned out to be speculation.
Curran is probably 'hearing' it from his reporter buddies who are speculating what they think will happen, with no basis.

This information could be right or wrong as it is just an uninformed guess, but the fact that Curran spewed it makes it no more likely to happen.

I'm not convinced on the player reps conspiracy theory. Correlation does not imply causation.

Remember that:
1) Most player reps are older veterans.
2) Old veterans often stop being good value compared to the size of their contract.
3) Bill has always been pro-active in keeping the roster churning over in order to refresh the talent and maintain the value from Player 1 to Player 53.
4) Bill has rarely been sentimental over keeping a player on the team. Just look at Tedy Bruschi. The only exception I can really think of is Troy Brown.

I think this is why player reps haven't always lasted long. Vrabel was done. Adalius Thomas is on his way out. Matt Light won't last much longer. It's the way it goes.

List of player reps

4) Bill has rarely been sentimental over keeping a player on the team. Just look at Tedy Bruschi. The only exception I can really think of is Troy Brown.
[/URL]

LeKevin Smith. Junior Seau.

What is ridiculous is that a comment such as 'Curran is hearing' what the organization plans to do is taken seriously.
There is absolutely no way that anyone in the organization would be sharing inside plans with Curran or anyone who he could hear it from.
For years, fans have taken this supposed 'inside info' from Foxborough serioulsy and it has always turned out to be speculation.
Curran is probably 'hearing' it from his reporter buddies who are speculating what they think will happen, with no basis.

This information could be right or wrong as it is just an uninformed guess, but the fact that Curran spewed it makes it no more likely to happen.

I agree that this is nothing but speculation at this point.

My guess would be that virtually no hard and fast decisions of any consequence will be made until the labor/slary cap situation is clarified for at least 2010.

Curran and his Patriots Place logic is BS. No, Patriots Place didn't come cheap. But it is generating its own revenue. That revenue will be unaffected by a lockout or anything that happens to football. In fact, since they don't have to close the theater and some of the stores 10-12 days out of the year for games, it might increase their revenues since they probably have overages incomes on rents (in other words, if a tenant does over a certain amount of revenue each year, the Krafts get a percentage of that revenue) with is common with most retail leases in shopping plazas.

The fact of the matter is based on Miguel's numbers, the Pats are committed to $63.3 million in real dollars. According to USA Today, the least amount in payroll over the last five years the Pats committed to salaries has been $94.4 million (Jonathan Kraft has said that USA Today's numbers are too low of an estimates). That means the Pats would have to spend $31 million to match their lowest payroll since 2004. They would have to spend about $54 million to match their highest payroll.

Also, as pointed out, even in a lockout, the Patriots will receive all of their TV revenue in a lockout (although the league will have to credit the networks, ESPN, and DirecTV free games in the future).

Patriot Place is something like 80% full. So how much of the New England Patriots revenue is going to pay the mortgage for Patriots Place each year? At most $1-2 million (and that is probably a way, way overestimate). So the Krafts are going to cut their payroll for players $20-30 million because he is concerned that he is going to have to shell out $1-2 million in 2011 on mortgage? Doesn't make sense. If a lockout last more than a year, Kraft has far more concerns than how to pay his mortgage on Patriots Place.

Beside, I wouldn't be surprised if Kraft has insurance on a work stoppage in the NFL. Players take out insurance for if they get injured, I would assume owners do the same for a number of reasons.

Seriously, Tom Curran is showing why he is a sports writer with the Patriot Place argument. It doesn't make sense. Ordway and DeOssie (both actual business owners) on The Big Show has already blown the Patriots Place argument out of the water. I am surprised Curran is still running with it.

Last edited:
LeKevin Smith. Junior Seau.

What is your example showing of BB's sentimentality towards LeKevin Smith? Are you kidding? News to me.

BB thought Seau had value in areas. Does he love the guy? Of course.

Last edited:
What is your example showing of BB's sentimentality towards LeKevin Smith? Are you kidding? News to me.

You said BB wanted a strong roster from 1-53? LeKevin was on the team for what like two three years and barely saw any playing time. If that's not keeping him on the team for sentimental reasons, I don't know what is.

I agree. It's been proven time and time again that there are no "Patriots insiders" in the media. I watched this last night and it's pure speculation. As was written earlier in this post, no one outside of BB/Caserio and Jonathan/Robert Kraft know what their immediate and long term plans are. It was comical wathcing Curran and Felger disagree and scream at each other.

Last edited:
Would be very surprised if the Krafts took the complacency route, their whole personna is based on long frustrated fans.. so none of this makes sense..

If Randy leaves it will not be due to fiscal issues, but performance issues..

You said BB wanted a strong roster from 1-53? LeKevin was on the team for what like two three years and barely saw any playing time. If that's not keeping him on the team for sentimental reasons, I don't know what is.

How would that be for sentimental reasons? Le Kevin was a decent player who fit the 3-4 nicely. He saw a lot of increased playing time in 2008. I just don't know where you're coming from with that comment. Besides, he was TRADED this preseason. When you're behind the likes of Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, Jarvis Green, and Mike Wright, it's going to be hard to see consistent playing time. He was a sixth defensive lineman, and with Pryor and Brace in the fold this year, there was just too much of a logjam to keep him, and the Pats got the most value they could for him.

I wouldn't say Seau was for sentimental reasons either, considering the role he has played each year he's been here. 2006, starter. 2007, starter. 2008, he came in at the end because of injuries. 2009, came in for veteran leadership and as the top backup at inside linebacker. Considering the amount of time he played against the Ravens, it wouldn't make sense that he was just here for sentimental reasons.

I think Troy Brown, as Nonentity said, was the only player kept here for sentimental reasons. If Testaverde had made the '07 roster, then maybe. But Troy is the only one I can really think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes