Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tom Curran: Brady's MCL, not ACL is infected

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Rob0729, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +420 / 5 / -1

I don't know if this makes the news any better or not, but it seems that because Brady's MCL wasn't fully healed when the surgery was done and the doctor had to do some work on the MCL, the MCL became infected. It doesn't seem like it makes the prognosis for the ACL any better though.

Brady's eagerness might be cause of setback - NFL - NBCSports.com

Granted Curran says that if they have to redo the surgery they can do it in six weeks after the infection is cleared and it would make him miss the beginning of the 2009 season. Except if the recovery time is the same for a redo as if they did it the first time, Brady shouldn't miss any of the season. He would have the surgery before the end of the year and have almost eight months until training camp to recover. Maybe it is longer recovery time the second time around.
  2. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can a doctor not test to make sure the mcl is healed before surgery? In the Boston Globe they are saying it was during the surgery that the doctor discovered that the mcl was not healed. Two different stories. Not surprised.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Looking more and more like we won't see a fully functional Brady until well into the season next year.
  4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +420 / 5 / -1

So far most reports still seem to have him ready for the season. If brady has to have another graft, he still should have eight months to rehab before the start of camp. I think you are jumping the gun here.
  5. SoCal Pmen

SoCal Pmen Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

How is this information being leaked out if most if not all medical records are private between doctor/patient? I hope its not a relative or teammate that's leaking this out. That would be pretty low.
  6. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

7. swheeler23

swheeler23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Or the media is making it up or guessing what it might be.
  8. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It's not like Tom has to scramble. He'll be fine for next year.

As for who is leaking the info? who knows, he's followed everywhere. This stuff could be made up, or maybe some greedy nurse is tipping off someone.
  9. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

We have all off season to worry about this.. And it wont be like the Pats wont be prepared ... Im concerned and dissapointed, but not ready like some of the so called experts in the drive by media, that say his carrer is over.. I will say though shouldnt the DR, did a MRI to see if the the MCL was fully healed????
  10. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I wonder that too.

I've had knee surgery, but nothing like this, and I thought it was really easy. They did the MRI, showed me all the tears, then the lights went out. I don't remember a thing, and after 3 days of pain, my knee was like an 18 yr olds again. If only the rest of my body felt the same.lol.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Was listening to a so called expert on WEEI yesterday, the doctor who performed the surgery is one of the top in the nation and that this infection stuff is not a big deal unless it infects the screws and subsequent bone.. this is a pretty common side effect.. the cleaning out is done with a syringe and not by some very intrusive surgical procedure.
  12. festy1986

festy1986 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mccnab and Palmer were ready for training camp when they came back from this injury right? Granted they didnt have a set back like an infection, but its not the actual infection that would cause the set back but the second surgery, lets hope it doesnt happen because even if Brady was ready to go by next season or lets say sometime during the first 4-6 games, he will have an entire year and a half off with no actual play.

That doesnt seem to me like an option we all want, I think Brady needs to get some playing time in next pre season, more then he would normally have even in a year in which he was healthy and needed it.
  13. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

It's 11 months away. ACL rehab can be as short as 6 months.

Everyone just needs to calm the f**k down right about now.
  14. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Exactly my question too. Honestly this is somewhat creepy to me.:mad:

I don't know about other states but I do know in MA any healthcare employee who violates a patient's right to privacy can get not only fined (up to $250,000) but also visit prison for up to something like 10 years. HIPAA may be federal rather than state but I'm not sure, all I know is if it's a hospital/clinic employee leaking this stuff I'm pretty sure(?) Tom has a right to sue.
  15. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

Any infection in the knee area is not good - infections spread, though I suppose the point is that the repaired ACL is new and/or implanted tissue (Tom's own tissue will replace that over the next 6 months) and needs an infection free environment in which to heal... so it's good news that the ACL tissue isn't currently infected.
  16. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 2 / -0

You're correct that a QB and RB have very different motions - and as we saw from Rivers, a QB can actually play WITHOUT an ACL (assuming they're doing little more than dropping back to pass)

But without proper rehab time Tom would still be playing on a weak knee, with weak knee muscles and perhaps a less than fully healed ACL - so while he could play I'd say that would leave him more prone to re injury.
  17. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

"Kremchek specializes in the type of surgery that was performed on the New England Patriots star quarterback on Oct. 6 and is very familiar with various circumstances that result from the repair of a damaged ACL."

LOL and likely has a lot more infectious complication experience which is why he was likely never on Brady's radar...

The guy who did Brady's procedure wrote the book on them. Dr. Andrews who maintains a higher public profile than ElAttrache says he's the best, he consults the best of his peers, Manning's knee that Andrews handled got infected too, it is what it is and Tommy will be fine. That just doesn't generate web hits. :eek: does.

As I recall before Tedy's comeback from a stroke caused by a congential hole in his heart that it turns out upwards of a quarter of us don't know we also have, nobody beyond a rodeo rider and certainly no NFL player had EVER returned to a contact sport successfully. Many doctors opined that it was folly if not insanity to even contemplate his returning. Just because someone's educated or experienced doesn't mean they aren't simultaneously ignorant...
  18. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

...true, I usually learn about my own ignorance through experience.
  19. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Once again Mo speaks knowledge and not NONSENSE.
    Good post. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.