PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: "Brady will Rag Doll the NFL's Case!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge said that he sued the individual in a personal capacity while the actions RG was taking were in a professional, job title, capacity. Therefore the suit had no merit / standing / eligibility...

...THEREFORE you can make absolutely NO implications of the CBA's ability to limit lawsuits based on the Vilma case.

The defense makes 3 arguments:

1. Preemption under LMRA
  2. Barred by CBA (this is the personal/professional divide)
  3. Inadequate pleadings
With regards to argument 2, here's what the court wrote:

"Vilma’s claims for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress have to be evaluated through the lens of what the CBA allows Goodell to do. Reece, 79 F.3d at 487‐88.

A defamation claim cannot survive a motion to dismiss when it arises out of an arbitration involving discipline. Bagby v. General Motors Corp., 976 F.2d 919, 921 (5th Cir. 1992); Weber v. Lockheed Martin Corp., 2001 WL 274518, at *7 (E.D. La. 2001) (noting that defamation claims are typically preempted when the claim is about the employee’s conduct in a disciplinary action under a collective bargaining agreement or when the alleged conduct occurred in the context of an arbitration proceeding)..."

"... Here, even according to the plaintiff’s own Complaint, the defamation claims are directly related to Goodellʹs decision to suspend, that is, discipline Vilma, pursuant to the CBA arbitration procedure. Moreover, the defamation claims and the claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress would require interpretation of multiple portions of the CBA, not just the non‐suit provision in CBA Art. 3, section 2, as Vilma contends. As set forth hereinabove, for example, the CBA authorizes Goodell to suspenda player for what he considers ʺconduct detrimentalʺ and also authorizes him to investigate actions that he suspects constitute ʺconduct detrimental.ʺ Vilma’s argument that the statements were made in Goodellʹs individual capacity is unpersuasive as Goodell was sued as Commissioner of the NFL and all of the statements attributed to Goodell were made in connection with the NFLʹs investigation of the pay-per‐performance/bounty allegations. Therefore, Vilma’s claims are preempted and must be dismissed."

Last edited:
It'd feel much more natural if all the legalese flying around in this thread was printed in the smallest font size possible. Otherwise, I'll just wait until the 23rd (or some time thereafter) to see what the suspension looks like and if Brady files anything with the federal courts.

The above staeement is the sole opinion of RelocatedPatsFan and does not represent the PatsFans community

goodell is too arrogant to reduce anything.
when this goes to court they should bring the football as a witness. make it sit on the stand and ask random questions for laughs.

this is the dumbest story in sports history

1. Preemption under LMRA
  3. Inadequate pleadings

....."

Thanks for clearing up the reference . (UGM'd should actually thank you. )

1. Preemption under LMRA
  3. Inadequate pleadings

"Vilma’s claims for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress have to be evaluated through the lens of what the CBA allows Goodell to do. Reece, 79 F.3d at 487‐88.

A defamation claim cannot survive a motion to dismiss when it arises out of an arbitration involving discipline. Bagby v. General Motors Corp., 976 F.2d 919, 921 (5th Cir. 1992); Weber v. Lockheed Martin Corp., 2001 WL 274518, at *7 (E.D. La. 2001) (noting that defamation claims are typically preempted when the claim is about the employee’s conduct in a disciplinary action under a collective bargaining agreement or when the alleged conduct occurred in the context of an arbitration proceeding)..."

"... Here, even according to the plaintiff’s own Complaint, the defamation claims are directly related to Goodellʹs decision to suspend, that is, discipline Vilma, pursuant to the CBA arbitration procedure. Moreover, the defamation claims and the claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress would require interpretation of multiple portions of the CBA, not just the non‐suit provision in CBA Art. 3, section 2, as Vilma contends. As set forth hereinabove, for example, the CBA authorizes Goodell to suspenda player for what he considers ʺconduct detrimentalʺ and also authorizes him to investigate actions that he suspects constitute ʺconduct detrimental.ʺ Vilma’s argument that the statements were made in Goodellʹs individual capacity is unpersuasive as Goodell was sued as Commissioner of the NFL and all of the statements attributed to Goodell were made in connection with the NFLʹs investigation of the pay-per‐performance/bounty allegations. Therefore, Vilma’s claims are preempted and must be dismissed."

As I have been saying, nothing in there says that the case was dismissed because Vilma is not allowed to sue the NFL because of the clause in the CBA.

Some of you guys need to go to law school rather than argue with YOUGOTMOSSED and you need to look up what the word "preemption" means under the law.

If it were true that a person needs to go to law school to comment on this subject, then nobody here could give their opinion about coaching moves by Belichick unless they coached a team.

I have a friend who's a lawyer and he told me that the first thing he learned at law school was that there's no such thing as right or wrong. I'd like to see one of those legal experts explain how that works.

It burns my butt when I see one post after another comparing the Saints and Pats situations. The Saints actually did something wrong, something very wrong. The Pats haven't been guilty of anything other than winning too many games.

It burns my butt when I see one post after another comparing the Saints and Pats situations. The Saints actually did something wrong, something very wrong. The Pats haven't been guilty of anything other than winning too many games.

Well, I think they are similar with the respect that the NFL's punishment is again completely over the top and not commensurate with the actual crime.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2012/6/19/3095952/breaking-down-the-nfls-bountygate-evidence

If it were true that a person needs to go to law school to comment on this subject, then nobody here could give their opinion about coaching moves by Belichick unless they coached a team.

I have a friend who's a lawyer and he told me that the first thing he learned at law school was that there's no such thing as right or wrong. I'd like to see one of those legal experts explain how that works.

Well, of course you're free to comment or have an opinion on the law. You don't have to be a lawyer to have an opinion whether, for example, seatbelt laws are really necessary.

Attempting to have a nuanced discussion about the finer points of contract law or labor law (or virtually any other area) with someone with no expertise in the matter can be frustrating.

It's hard to say what's more of a drag. Discussing the particulars of ideal gas law or the finer points of defamation and labor law.

Football is an escape for me. This is the last place I want to see this stuff discussed.

It's hard to say what's more of a drag. Discussing the particulars of ideal gas law or the finer points of defamation and labor law.

Football is an escape for me. This is the last place I want to see this stuff discussed.

I get what you're saying. I personally enjoy the science discussions and I enjoy blowing up troll comments with that knowledge. The legal stuff is beyond me and I have little interest in it. I understand it's relevant to the current issue but there is no way I am going to research or dig into a legal briefing that debates the actual definition of one word and what it's true intent was within a document. blahh. So instead I will read a few of the comments here to get an idea of what's going on. Maybe ask a question or two.

Don't worry though I think in about a month you are going to have plenty of football only discussions.

Welcome to The Last Place. :)

The Saints did commit a crime.

The Pats did not.
They sure did. Can't play players for performance if it's not in their contract or count towards the cap.

I get what you're saying. I personally enjoy the science discussions and I enjoy blowing up troll comments with that knowledge. The legal stuff is beyond me and I have little interest in it. I understand it's relevant to the current issue but there is no way I am going to research or dig into a legal briefing that debates the actual definition of one word and what it's true intent was within a document. blahh. So instead I will read a few of the comments here to get an idea of what's going on. Maybe ask a question or two.

Don't worry though I think in about a month you are going to have plenty of football only discussions.

I can't believe that people think this is just going to go away once football starts. Kraft has seen to it that this issue will follow the Pats and Brady forever. You'll be the next great Marvel superhero with the amount of trolls you'll be fighting off.

I like discussions about everything.

I'm still waiting for one of the legal experts to explain the idea that law schools teach, that there's no such thing as right or wrong. How does that fit in a legal system that punishes citizens for wrongs committed against society?

They sure did. Can't play players for performance if it's not in their contract or count towards the cap.

In my opinion, any violation that results in injuries to opposing players is very serious, whether or not it leads directly to a SB title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back