PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran betrayed his ignorance today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only is he wrong but...

MoLewisrocks said:
old rover wins this argument. Curren in wrong. Shaun negotiated out the use of the franchise tag in 2006 in his 2005 contract. I recalled seeing that that was part of his deal to come in to camp with the Seahawks. Pat Kirwin mentioned it in his article on NFL.com 2 days ago.

"Shaun Alexander has increased his rushing yards in each of the past four seasons. Shaun Alexander has already negotiated the use of the franchise tag out of his 2005 contract so he will be free to negotiate with all 32 teams. Seeing Alexander walking around Hawaii for the Pro Bowl with a Carolina Panthers hat on at least sends out the subliminal message that he is on the open market. The ripple effect of not being able to tag Alexander is that they will tag All-Pro offensive guard Hutchinson, which brings up an issue about the value of the franchise tags that will hurt the Seahawks yet help Hutchinson. "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9228889

normally I avoid piling on... but Curran is harldy the scoop master some make him out to be. eiss typically holds that honor during the season.

Curran has his own issues

spacecrime said:
What is your problem?

He did know something.

He knew that Alexander was good.

He knew that ALexander woudl be a FA.

He knew that Alexander was franchised last year.

He knew that ALexander was worthy of being franchised again.

What is your problem with Curran? What do you mean commented authoritatively? Didn't he simply say it on a talk show?

Any why again is it ignorant to not be correct?

What if the Seahawks and Alexander had a gentelman's agreement not to franchise him again, not actually in writing in the franchise contract? Then Alexander COULD be franchised. Would that make you ignorant for commenting authoritatively on something. Curran would then be right, so he wouldn't be ignorant?

You have some serious issues with Mr. Curran. Seek counseling.

But first look up ignorant in the dictionary.

Are you forgetting that Curran was teh guy that Beisel blew his top at in the locker room?

It's one thing to push for a story, it's another to piss a guy off so bad he loses it in the locker room.

I'd normally give tommy a pass, but he did forget to check a few facts... not uncommon among all writers.

Hell he's on so many different beats you have to envy the guy's ability to crank out all that material.

Why are people so defensive about these media guys. I remember once hearing Curran and Greenberg and they both made comments "we are talking like fans".

As if they are way above us fans. I guess there is some sort of arrogance that you have to have to be part of the media.

Now, both those guys are way better than BS Borges and Cafartlo. But, they are all part of the media and have a smart ass way about them - even Riess does sometimes.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
What is your problem?

He did know something.

He knew that Alexander was good.

He knew that ALexander woudl be a FA.

He knew that Alexander was franchised last year.

He knew that ALexander was worthy of being franchised again.

What is your problem with Curran? What do you mean commented authoritatively? Didn't he simply say it on a talk show?

Any why again is it ignorant to not be correct?

What if the Seahawks and Alexander had a gentelman's agreement not to franchise him again, not actually in writing in the franchise contract? Then Alexander COULD be franchised. Would that make you ignorant for commenting authoritatively on something. Curran would then be right, so he wouldn't be ignorant?

You have some serious issues with Mr. Curran. Seek counseling.

But first look up ignorant in the dictionary.

ig·no·rant (IG-gnr-nt) adj.

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

His comment can accurately be described as ignorant. I guess you really, really like him, and it hurts you to hear all this. My condolences. Maybe you have some serious issues with Mr. Curran. Perhaps therapy is in order. :D

givens on way out, then.

PATSNUTme said:
He also said that Givens and the Patroits haven't talked deal since 2004. I find that hard to believe, but maybe he's right.
He said that it would take a 5 year 15mil deal with a 6 mil signing bonus to keep him. He doesn't think that the Patriots will make him that offer.
We'll see.

OF COURSE givens' people and patriots haven't spoken since 2004. that's when they set the 2005 figures for givens' compensation. these folks can't be talking givens all the time---too many other contracts to haggle over.
(MIGUEL, HELP!). as i understand it, hines ward has a 2005 cap number of 2.5 million. that, i believe, is the highest cap number for any NFL WR not on suspension. i don't know what randy moss' figure is.
givens has said for over a year that he wants "hines ward" money. patriots could do that, but won't. it would blow up their receiver corps.
consider:
2006 is the last year of The Twig's rookie contract. He'll make something like $800K this year. that figure will change. It'll be a lot higher if patriots sign givens for more than $2 million a year.
graham and watson make $1.4-$1.5 million, pretty decent TE money, but their contracts are up for expiration in 2006 and 2007.
PK sam, troy Brown, tim dwight, bam childress, and andre davis have virtually no leverage.

PK Sam had leverage enough. He signed with Cinci. Troy has apparently promised his family that he will finish his career at New England. He could get a better contract at New Orleans (as last year or probably for the Bears). Andre can certainly look around. He has the freedom and leverage. Perhaps Dwight genuinely has nowhere else to go. However, with this year's group of free agent receivers, he could catch on elsewhere. It is only bambam that has no leverage.

ilduce06410 said:
OF COURSE givens' people and patriots haven't spoken since 2004. that's when they set the 2005 figures for givens' compensation. these folks can't be talking givens all the time---too many other contracts to haggle over.
(MIGUEL, HELP!). as i understand it, hines ward has a 2005 cap number of 2.5 million. that, i believe, is the highest cap number for any NFL WR not on suspension. i don't know what randy moss' figure is.
givens has said for over a year that he wants "hines ward" money. patriots could do that, but won't. it would blow up their receiver corps.
consider:
2006 is the last year of The Twig's rookie contract. He'll make something like $800K this year. that figure will change. It'll be a lot higher if patriots sign givens for more than $2 million a year.
graham and watson make $1.4-$1.5 million, pretty decent TE money, but their contracts are up for expiration in 2006 and 2007.
PK sam, troy Brown, tim dwight, bam childress, and andre davis have virtually no leverage.

ilduce06410 said:
consider:

Ward signed a 5 year extension in September that made him the highest paid player in Steelers history (although Ben will certainly trump him in the forseeable future when he gets his second contract). The deal was 5 years $27.5M with a $9M signing bonus. Hinds Ward is Pittsburgh's #1 WR and a core team leader. Even with questionable QB'ing he put up 4 1000+ yard seasons in 2001-2004 and he put up 975 this year after missing his first game in 8 seasons. He reportedly wanted Marvin Harrison money, but settled for less to remain with a team that historically runs first.

Givens is not in his league. If he has indicated he believes he is, he's delusional and that would explain why the sides have reportedly remained far apart. Branch isn't in Hinds Ward's league for that matter.

ilduce06410 said:

These were the 10 highest cap figures for wideouts in 2005.

Bruce, Isaac WR $9,240,709
Toomer, Amani WR $5,715,000
Smith, Rod WR $5,551,628
Smith, Jimmy WR $5,274,333
Moulds, Eric WR $5,078,431
Horn, Joe WR $4,765,000
Muhammad, Muhsin WR $4,615,000
Williams, Roy WR $3,845,000
McCardell, Keenan WR $3,766,666
Northcutt, Dennis WR $3,750,000

If my calculations are correct, Ward's 2005 cap number was just under 2.083 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes