PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran betrayed his ignorance today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
...on FSN NE Sports Tonight. He said the Seahawks would franchise Shaun Alexander. They can't; that was part of the deal LAST year when they franchised him. Crap... does ANYONE do their job on the NE sports beat?

Ordinarily I might agree with you, but Tom Curran is one of the most knowledgeable and diligent writers out there. I'll give him a pass on this one, and so should you.

He also said that Givens and the Patroits haven't talked deal since 2004. I find that hard to believe, but maybe he's right.

He said that it would take a 5 year 15mil deal with a 6 mil signing bonus to keep him. He doesn't think that the Patriots will make him that offer.

We'll see.

Last edited:
oldrover said:
...on FSN NE Sports Tonight. He said the Seahawks would franchise Shaun Alexander. They can't; that was part of the deal LAST year when they franchised him.
They can if they want to. They may have a gentleman's agreement not to and it may not make them popular do go back on their word . . . but they can franchise him.

tom curran-best Pat's beat writer-period.

old rover- it was YOUR POST-not tom curran-that showed ignorance. Curran is widely considered the best pats beat writer. he has consistently scooped all the boston writers for years. why? because bb likes and respects him more than any other writer. word is so do most of the pats-from office to players. bb likes him because curran always does his homework. he doesnt ask the boring, obvious questions. he studies the pats off. and defense more than anyone-and asks thoughtful questions that show a high degree of football intelligence. he has also always been fair and honest-tho hes not a buttkisser. 2 things i know -the pats(as afan since 1960)-and the newspaper business(my dad was the news editor at a major boston paper for over 25 years. in addition-the seahawks CAN franchise alexander if they want to-as was pointed out. if we all did our jobs as well as curran-we would have something to be proud of. so whos next? bb? i guess youll be calling him anignorant coach cause we didnt 3peat.

old rover wins this argument. Curren in wrong. Shaun negotiated out the use of the franchise tag in 2006 in his 2005 contract. I recalled seeing that that was part of his deal to come in to camp with the Seahawks. Pat Kirwin mentioned it in his article on NFL.com 2 days ago.

"Shaun Alexander has increased his rushing yards in each of the past four seasons. Shaun Alexander has already negotiated the use of the franchise tag out of his 2005 contract so he will be free to negotiate with all 32 teams. Seeing Alexander walking around Hawaii for the Pro Bowl with a Carolina Panthers hat on at least sends out the subliminal message that he is on the open market. The ripple effect of not being able to tag Alexander is that they will tag All-Pro offensive guard Hutchinson, which brings up an issue about the value of the franchise tags that will hurt the Seahawks yet help Hutchinson. "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9228889

PATSNUTme said:
[Curran] said that it would take a 5 year 15mil deal with a 6 mil signing bonus to keep [Givens]. He doesn't think that the Patriots will make him that offer.

We'll see.

L'affaire Givens might become a major test of my continued belief in the arching wisdom of BB. A "5 or 6 year deal averaging 3 to 3 1/2 million" ... is exactly what i prescribed in an earlier thread. If David buys that ... as Curran predicts and i expected him to do ... then it should be duck soup to Pelioli.

After paying so much to retain/extend Corey ... to offer less than enough for David would be tragic. This is not a cap-buster for the Patriots.

flutie2phelan said:
L'affaire Givens might become a major test of my continued belief in the arching wisdom of BB. A "5 or 6 year deal averaging 3 to 3 1/2 million" ... is exactly what i prescribed in an earlier thread. If David buys that ... as Curran predicts and i expected him to do ... then it should be duck soup to Pelioli.

After paying so much to retain/extend Corey ... to offer less than enough for David would be tragic. This is not a cap-buster for the Patriots.

I agree. It isn't overspending for a guy like Givens. You know what you have with him.

As to the Patriots talking with Given's agent since 04, Curran said they ahdn't talked "in detail" since then. I am sure a LOT of it has to do with the 07 uncapped year that is still on the table...same reason they have NOT delved into Big Sey's contract..or AdamV's. Get the CBA done and there will be a lot of good contract discussion. He also mentioned Josh Reed as a possible WR.

patsox23 said:
Ordinarily I might agree with you, but Tom Curran is one of the most knowledgeable and diligent writers out there. I'll give him a pass on this one, and so should you.

If your stock in trade is accurate information, then you don't make comments like that without knowing the facts. I like Tom Curran, but I think the radio-TV buffoonery cycle is degrading his work, and that of others too, i.e. Felger.

Hell, Curran's on that show talking Celtics and Red Sox. LMAO!!! Then the talk switches to the NFL, and CLANG! He immediately screws the pooch. Sorry... no pass.

I know the NFL has cash to throw around, but Givens is a solid, reliable, over the middle hard ***** who has some decent value as a contributing number 2 WR, nothing more. If some team gives him $6mil up front then they are either desperate or stupid, or both.

FYI CBS Sportsline ranks David 75th among WR.

To put that in perspective Branch is ranked 18th (Harrison 14th and Wayne 16th). Rankings for some of the other FA names mentioned here of late - Bryant (22), Jurevicius (29), Randal El (39), Moulds (47). Patriot FA WR's Dwight (50) and Brown (86).

I know many will point to Brady spreading the ball around here potentially limiting Givens stats, but Givens potentially also benefits from having one of the very best QB's in the league throwing to him for the last 3 seasons. A lot of guys ahead of him in the rankings are performing with a whole lot less.

Since Felger has reported the sides have been far apart all along and as best he can tell remain so, with Branch and Graham to sign soon (and I'm not sure BB considers Dieon an elite #1) and some durability issues with all of our young receivers - I'm gonna trust BB's judgement on this one. I like Givens at a price, but it's not even elite #2 money.

PATSNUTme said:
He also said that Givens and the Patroits haven't talked deal since 2004. I find that hard to believe, but maybe he's right.

He said that it would take a 5 year 15mil deal with a 6 mil signing bonus to keep him. He doesn't think that the Patriots will make him that offer.

We'll see.

I don't think $3m per year for Givens is way out of line. If that's the price, I'll pay.

shakadave said:
I don't think $3m per year for Givens is way out of line. If that's the price, I'll pay.

That seems to be good value for a player of his ability and work ethic.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I know the NFL has cash to throw around, but Givens is a solid, reliable, over the middle hard ***** who has some decent value as a contributing number 2 WR, nothing more. If some team gives him $6mil up front then they are either desperate or stupid, or both.

I expect some team to give Givens $6 million in the 1st year of his contract. TJ Houshmandzadeh, the best comparable I could find to Givens, took home $5.625 million last year in the 1st year of his 4 year, $13 million deal. If the Patriots were able to sign Givens to the same deal, would you consider them desperate, stupid, or both??

MoLewisrocks said:

I wouldn't break the bank for Givens but please don't quote those garbage rankings.

CBS ranks Brady as the 6th best QB behind Manning, Palmer, Green, Plummer, and Hasselbeck.

Where does Richard Seymour rank in the CBS rankings? 222nd. No that is not a misprint. To put that in perspective, if every team in the league carries 7 DL on their roster, Seymour is an NFL defensive lineman according to those ratings. If 29 teams carry 7 and 3 carry 6, Richard should be off to the CFL or the arena league.

According to the CBS Sportsline rankings, Seymour was a negative. Guys who missed the entire year with injuries would have been more beneficial to the Pats than Seymour was.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:

To put that in perspective Branch is ranked 18th (Harrison 14th and Wayne 16th). Rankings for some of the other FA names mentioned here of late - Bryant (22), Jurevicius (29), Randal El (39), Moulds (47). Patriot FA WR's Dwight (50) and Brown (86).

WHere do you rank Givens among the wideouts last year?? I have a major problem with a ranking system that has Givens who is in the Top 40 in catches, yards, and yards per game 75th in it.
I know many will point to Brady spreading the ball around here potentially limiting Givens stats, but Givens potentially also benefits from having one of the very best QB's in the league throwing to him for the last 3 seasons. A lot of guys ahead of him in the rankings are performing with a whole lot less.
IMO, Givens' Sportsline ranking is so low because the Patriots had 12 different players catch TDs last year. Give Givens just 2 of the 4 touchdowns thrown to Ashworth and Vrabel and his rankings would be much higher.

If I am putting together a team for the next 4 to 5 years, there are NOT 74 wideouts in the NFL I rather have than Givens. At worst, there are maybe 33 current wideouts I would take over Givens.

They are in no particular order
Boldin
Steve Smith
Chad Johnson
Edwards
Roy Williams
Walker
Andre Johnson
Wayne
Chambers
Branch
Burress
Moss
Ward
Jackson
Holt
Moss
Burleson
Coles
Clayton
Colbert
Bradley
Bryant
Reggie Williams
McCareins
Michael Clayton
Calico
Fitzgerald
Evans
Houshmandzadeh
Lelie
Mike Williams
Driver
Porter

Givens' contract is not going to be determined by what he did in the past but by what teams think what he will do in the future and he fits into their cap structure.

Since Felger has reported the sides have been far apart all along and as best he can tell remain so, with Branch and Graham to sign soon (and I'm not sure BB considers Dieon an elite #1) and some durability issues with all of our young receivers - I'm gonna trust BB's judgement on this one. I like Givens at a price, but it's not even elite #2 money.

What is elite #2 money???

As far as I can tell, the best #2s are either playing under their rookie deal (Fitzgerald, Evans, Lelie) or formerly paid as #1s (Bruce, Porter, Harrison).

I think there is a big difference between betraying one's ignorance and making a mistake.

In the first, you are basically stating he is ignorant and is showing it.

Anyone seriously following the Pats media would find this nonsense. Curran and Reiss are the top of the food chain.

Missing a fact is not good journalism. It happens. It does not mean the journalist is ignorant.

Ignorant would be not understanding the rules of FA.

In this case, Curran missed a special situation. He obviously understands the rules of FA, Alexander WOULD be a FA and could be a FA under the rules. Alexander and the Seahawks have an agreement for the Hawks not ot use it. Fine. Missing that piece is an oversight, not ignorance.

He commented authoritatively on a situation of which he knew nothing. That's ignorance.

oldrover said:
He commented authoritatively on a situation of which he knew nothing. That's ignorance.
What is your problem?

He did know something.

He knew that Alexander was good.

He knew that ALexander woudl be a FA.

He knew that Alexander was franchised last year.

He knew that ALexander was worthy of being franchised again.

What is your problem with Curran? What do you mean commented authoritatively? Didn't he simply say it on a talk show?

Any why again is it ignorant to not be correct?

What if the Seahawks and Alexander had a gentelman's agreement not to franchise him again, not actually in writing in the franchise contract? Then Alexander COULD be franchised. Would that make you ignorant for commenting authoritatively on something. Curran would then be right, so he wouldn't be ignorant?

You have some serious issues with Mr. Curran. Seek counseling.

But first look up ignorant in the dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes