PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is me saying I love Tom Brady being negative??, I know some other threads Ive been a little negative ,but you know its frustration.. Will tone down, but this one was not that negative..

Sean just a suggestion but maybe you should lose the Brady in the throwback pic in your sig. It's got the stink of defeat all over it.

I think people who say they would take Cassel instead of Brady is a little out there, and needs to take a step back..

remember how depressing it was after the loss to the jests? brady looked horrible that game, absolutely awful. what happened after that? oh thats right, the pats beat the falcons and ravens, two teams a good amount of people thought we would lose to

I think people who say they would take Cassel instead of Brady is a little out there, and needs to take a step back..

That's the best thing you've said all night buddy :cool:

So Brady's amassing quantity stats. That definitely counts for something, though it says more about the playcalling than anything. His interception count is legitimately impressive though, there is that. For someone to throw as many times as he has and only be picked off once is an accomplishment.

But don't kid yourself- he's a league-average QB right now. No shame in it; it's a little alarming at this point, but chances are still pretty good that he improves as the year goes along. If he hasn't shown significant progress in a few weeks, I'll be really worried.

I do think that Cassel at the end of 2008 was playing better than Brady is right now, but I also think that Brady will get much better as the season rolls along. The biggest fault in Cassel's game was that he couldn't accurately throw the deep ball, and through 5 games neither can Brady. I'd still take Brady going forward no question, but it's not a ridiculous point IMO.

Last edited:
But don't kid yourself- he's a league-average QB right now. No shame in it; it's a little alarming at this point, but chances are still pretty good that he improves as the year goes along. If he hasn't shown significant progress in a few weeks, I'll be really worried.

Right, then I ask you the same question I asked BelichickFan in post 20 of this thread.

Brady is upset with his performance. (You can see how mad he was after missing open Moss on the left cornor). The team needs Brady to perform at a high level to compete with the big boyz (colts, saints). He is our best chance.

Should the Patriots make their offense alittle more vanilla, like they did for Cassel at the beginning of last year? Their playcalling is based on Brady being Brady not an average qb.

I was actually posting this into another post of mine, but it deserves its own thread.

Everyone who is whining about (one of the) greatest quarterback(s) of all time, you have two options:

1. LAY THE F*CK OFF TOM BRADY.

2. Become a star quarterback in your cute two-hand-touch pickup games. Then buy a handgun and shoot yourself in the knee. Wait a year. Then, LAY THE F*CK OFF TOM BRADY.

The guy suffered an often career-ending injury. In the five games since then, he has amassed these statistics:

127 completions in 207 attempts.
1st in the NFL in completions.
61.4% of pass attempts are completed.
41.4 attempts per game.
1st in the NFL in attempts.

1,344 yards passing.
268.8 yards passing per game.
3rd in the NFL in total yards passing.

6 touchdowns.
2 interceptions.
0 interceptions in the past three games.
3rd fewest interceptions thrown in the NFL.

85.9 passer rating.

3 wins.
2 losses.

The passer rating is exactly the same as it was in 2003. For the historically challenged, New England won the Super Bowl in 2003. Brady was not a liability on that roster, despite his unglamorous numbers.

I'll leave it to you to compare to Brady's first five games of 2003 and Manning's first five games of 2008.

Actually, no, I'm posting Manning's stats (2008, games 1-5) here. I can't find the completion percentage or passer rating. But:

8 touchdowns.
5 interceptions.
3 wins.
2 losses.

Hot damn, look at all those interceptions. Peyton sucked, sucks, and always will suck.

Wait, no. That can't be right. Didn't he get some fancy award that year, like Most Valuable Player in the NFL or something? Meh. Who cares.

You're probably right, he's just so far off his peak that it seems like he's truly awful. That being said, the not throwing interceptions stat is misleading - in many cases he is so inaccurate that the ball is going into the dirt or into the stands. So, that's good that he's not throwing to the other team, but he's missing open receivers on a routine basis.

To me, it looks like he's pressing, squeezing the ball too hard, and relying too much on Welker, like Bledsoe used to do with Ben Coates. In short, he is not yet comfortable out there. This MUST change for us to do anything this year, and more likely than not, it will.

Should the Patriots make their offense alittle more vanilla, like they did for Cassel at the beginning of last year? Their playcalling is based on Brady being Brady not an average qb.

They actually did more of that against the Ravens and Falcons. Waddaya know, it produced a pair of Ws.

Right, then I ask you the same question I asked BelichickFan in post 20 of this thread.

To be abundantly clear, this is based only on current play: I obviously don't think these QBs are better than Brady, and I don't think that we could plug any of them in and be better, or any of those other misrepresentations that I guarantee people are going to make no matter how clearly I state that I'm not saying that. Most of these guys can't even hold a candle to Brady, and I do think that as the year goes on he'll leapfrog most of these guys, if not all of them. He's just flat-out better than all but maybe 1 or 2 of the guys on this list. So all that I'm saying is that, right now, I think these guys are playing better than Brady:

Peyton Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Eli Manning
Matt Ryan
Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Philip Rivers
Kurt Warner
Brett Favre
Kyle Orton
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco

That puts Brady 14th, which is more or less league-average.

Last edited:
UGh - This thread is heading in the wrong direction, so it's time to close this before things get nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back