PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady: What is the weakest part of his game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure what you are saying. Are you saying that I'm such a Homer that I don't see the flaws in Tom's game? Yea, Ok I'll admit there is some truth to that.

And I don't try and chase immobile guys around, so I can't answer your question.

Brady was happy with your answer because he has 1 less person to chase and knock him down while he does not move at all.

Brady needs to find his second 'favorite' WR besides Moss. This off season and summer will give him an opportunity to do just that. It's too predictable if he throws the ball to Moss all the time.

Brady is all set if he can fix his mobility problem and find his second WR.

Last edited:
1. Blocking
2. Dropkicks-Let's face it, he's no Doug Flutie
3. Total lack of defensive skills-Whatever happened to the two-way QB?
4. Special teams-No aptitude here at all.

You have to admit, Tom's not very versatile. How many other positions can this sixth rounder play? Do you think we should still give him a chance to make the team?

1. Blocking
2. Dropkicks-Let's face it, he's no Doug Flutie
3. Total lack of defensive skills-Whatever happened to the two-way QB?
4. Special teams-No aptitude here at all.

You have to admit, Tom's not very versatile. How many other positions can this sixth rounder play? Do you think we should still give him a chance to make the team?

BB does often state that Tom is the only player on the team that has only one job, everyone else plays 2 or more positions.

i say the deep ball, its the one and only area i would take manning over him on (and no, i dont mean eli)

I agree, that's still an area where he needs more work.

Nah, his deep throws are fine.

This may sound a bit NEM-like, but I'd have to say the short outside routes. Not that it's a psychological problem, but there have been some times where those throws have lacked zip and accuracy.

For all those who talked about Brady's mobility &/or speed as his weakest area.

I would throw out there that;
1. for the most part mobility/speed is an innate ability. You can train to get a little more (like sprinters getting explosive out of the blocks etc etc) and improve somewhat; but you are either built like a cadillac or like a ferrari. (or if you are vinny testaverde like a pinto)

2. IF BRADY had that innate ability when he came in the league; I would suggest that he MIGHT NOT have ever become as good as he is.

Because he was slow; he didn't resort to the run as his first outlet (a la micheal bishop or michael vick). He developed a pocket presence and lots of short little side-side or up-back movements to get out of the pash-rushers way and help his blockers out.

So while it might be nice to wish for the stars; you could regret getting what you wanted.

MY PERSONAL FAULT I FIND:
I still believe that having Randy this past year developed SOME bad tendencies in TB. He missed a number of open guys (short/middle) by throwing it to a covered/partially covered deeper receiver just cause he wanted all the marbles at one shot.
Coaches need to look at that and make sure he gets back to seeing the whole field like he used to.

Umm . . . seeing as they broke up about nine months before she gave birth, I really don't think that's being fair to Brady.

Remember the worst game Brady ever had - the 4 INT loss to Miami towards the end of 06.

Hmmmmm. Maybe she dropped the news on him the week on the game. The timing works out.

Remember the term "weakness" is relative, so I would say I have noticed Brady doesn't really have a tight spiral on a lot of his throws. Its sometimes pretty wobbly. Not really a weakness though since it usually gets to where it needs to go.

!!!!! He has probably the strongest arm in the NFL! He threw like two 70 yard bombs in the last plays of the Superbowl...

He is pretty average with some specific throws (medium to deep out throws?). He always seems to throw it way too high and inaccurately on those.

This is somewhat true but I'd rather him be high on that throw rather than too low and have it go for six the other way.

Umm . . . seeing as they broke up about nine months before she gave birth, I really don't think that's being fair to Brady.

Exactly! Hasn't this been WELL documented that he broke up with her BEFORE either knew of the pregnancy! Even still, no need to stick around if it aint going to work out!

It's his ability to throw on his ass. I believe he's got one completion and one interception.

I would say his biggest, most glaring weakness is his lack of credible running threat.

Yes he's run on occasion, but he is no Vick, Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, etc..

How am I am being unfair.

3. A really messed up situation when he dumped the mother of his child while she was pregnant.

Is it your contention she was not pregnant when he dumped her? What is your theory here? Artificial insemination? After they broke up they "did it one more time for old times sake?"

I find that doubtful.

I pretty sure she was pregnant at the time of the dumping. Because neither has suggested they had sex after the break up. And just to review sex is what causes pregnancy.

Was he or she aware of the pregnancy I am not conjecturing to. But he is in a really messed up situation caused by his dumping his pregnant girlfriend!

I would say his biggest, most glaring weakness is his lack of credible running threat.

Yes he's run on occasion, but he is no Vick, Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, etc..

Jeez...and here I thought that was something to be thankful for each and every day...:rolleyes:

The QB's you mention run because they can't read defenses efficiently or make good decisions quickly enough. As someone said earlier, be thankful Brady is not exceptionally fleet of foot because for QB's who are that becomes their default and usually their downfall. Rather than spending countless hours in film study, or assuming additional responsibility in the locker room and on the practice fields in a determined effort to insure that conceptualized plays and game plans can be executed efficiently as a team - these guys generally approach the game with the undisciplined mentality that when the going gets tough, the tough guys wing it. Sometimes they do that initially with limited success, but over time they pay a price. They either take a physical beating that gradually mitigates their footspeed to the point they can't manage their default game. Or as the losses and injuries mount they suffer increasing slings and arrows, from without and within, and often end up fracturing locker rooms, fan bases and even FO's.

If Asante Samuel did his job in the final game of his Patriots career, if David Tyree didn't make a freakish once in a lifetime effort catch, if BB trusted his young PK to execute at 48 yards inside a dome, if our OL didn't suffer an uncharacteristic near total meltdown... we wouldn't have suffer threads like this. There are obvious reasons why we have only played in 4 and won 3 Superbowls in the last 7 seasons...:violent: Tom Brady is not any of them.

Nobody is perfect, but there is not a single existing aspect of his game I would trade for footspeed. He is quite capable of rolling out and making throws on the fly when he isn't battling ankle and abdominal injuries - Charlie used to have him do that back in the day to get around inferior line play. The reason they don't choose to do it now is because it is not what this mature system with a HOF QB demands - the line (and blocking TE's) is expected to do their job too, and execution and accuracy and protecting the football matters to Belichick. He replaced a guy whose fallback was to just sling it. In the Denver game when Tom rolled out to avoid the rusher Watson failed to pick up and threw on the fly to Brown only to get picked off by Bailey (who Watson was somehow elevated to hero status for then running down...) people tore their hair out and said WTF was he thinking... Which is just par for the course around here where any time a play doesn't work it was the wrong call. Eli beat us on a couple of high risk plays. Had our defense capitalized on those, people here would be mocking old Eli for throwing a SB away for his team. Ben's strong suit is/or was throwing on the fly - anyone want to trade for him straight up?

And I really wish so called fans would stay out of his personal life which as his HC says he seems to be managing just fine. We really are a strange fan base these days. I guess when you win this much the growth of the skittish and hypercritical bandwaggon faction and mentality is part of the price you pay.

Jeez...and here I thought that was something to be thankful for each and every day...:rolleyes:

The QB's you mention run because they can't read defenses efficiently or make good decisions quickly enough. As someone said earlier, be thankful Brady is not exceptionally fleet of foot because for QB's who are that becomes their default and usually their downfall. Rather than spending countless hours in film study, or assuming additional responsibility in the locker room and on the practice fields in a determined effort to insure that conceptualized plays and game plans can be executed efficiently as a team - these guys generally approach the game with the undisciplined mentality that when the going gets tough, the tough guys wing it. Sometimes they do that initially with limited success, but over time they pay a price. They either take a physical beating that gradually mitigates their footspeed to the point they can't manage their default game. Or as the losses and injuries mount they suffer increasing slings and arrows, from without and within, and often end up fracturing locker rooms, fan bases and even FO's.

If Asante Samuel did his job in the final game of his Patriots career, if David Tyree didn't make a freakish once in a lifetime effort catch, if BB trusted his young PK to execute at 48 yards inside a dome, if our OL didn't suffer an uncharacteristic near total meltdown... we wouldn't have suffer threads like this. There are obvious reasons why we have only played in 4 and won 3 Superbowls in the last 7 seasons...:violent: Tom Brady is not any of them.

Nobody is perfect, but there is not a single existing aspect of his game I would trade for footspeed. He is quite capable of rolling out and making throws on the fly when he isn't battling ankle and abdominal injuries - Charlie used to have him do that back in the day to get around inferior line play. The reason they don't choose to do it now is because it is not what this mature system with a HOF QB demands - the line (and blocking TE's) is expected to do their job too, and execution and accuracy and protecting the football matters to Belichick. He replaced a guy whose fallback was to just sling it. In the Denver game when Tom rolled out to avoid the rusher Watson failed to pick up and threw on the fly to Brown only to get picked off by Bailey (who Watson was somehow elevated to hero status for then running down...) people tore their hair out and said WTF was he thinking... Which is just par for the course around here where any time a play doesn't work it was the wrong call. Eli beat us on a couple of high risk plays. Had our defense capitalized on those, people here would be mocking old Eli for throwing a SB away for his team. Ben's strong suit is/or was throwing on the fly - anyone want to trade for him straight up?

And I really wish so called fans would stay out of his personal life which as his HC says he seems to be managing just fine. We really are a strange fan base these days. I guess when you win this much the growth of the skittish and hypercritical bandwaggon faction and mentality is part of the price you pay.

THIS POST SHOULD BE READ AGAIN, AND COMMITTED TO MEMORY.
well done Mo :eat3:

His fanbase.

this is the stupidest thread ive ever seen here.

He is already in the top 5 of greatest QB's ever to play the game, by the time hes through he'll probably be #1. He is why the Patriots have 3 rings, they'd have 5 if the defense could've have kept the opponent from marching 80 yards down the field in the last 2 minutes of the last game of the season 2 years in a row..........

puh-leeze....as Ordway would say.....Stop it!!!

Play action release time.

He depends too much on his line giving him CRAZY time for the play fake and the release. When they give him that kind of time, his play fake and pass are a thing of beauty, but it's typically a deep ball or a toss to the safety valve (non-timing routes). When they allow the normal amount of time, he's slow to make his play fake and get his gun ****ed.

and that's being pretty picky, because he's still better than 90% of QB's.

Play action release time.

He depends too much on his line giving him CRAZY time for the play fake and the release. When they give him that kind of time, his play fake and pass are a thing of beauty, but it's typically a deep ball or a toss to the safety valve (non-timing routes). When they allow the normal amount of time, he's slow to make his play fake and get his gun ****ed.

and that's being pretty picky, because he's still better than 90% of QB's.

Actually he's better than 100%...including Manning...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey