PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady Was the Most-Hit QB in the League, from 2006-2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread isn't about McDaniels, so stop HIJACKING it and changing the subject. We already know that you have no problem Brady was hammered the most in the league, and want to keep punishing his body and post-injury knee.

We're fortunate that the Pats clearly don't share your view about the offense. Given the recent personnel signings, the RB and TE will likely play a much bigger role in the offense than in previous years.

LOL! You start a thread about bashing McDaniels with a veiled insult of him that even my 6 year old neice could have picked up and then you are accusing me of highjacking a thread when I stay on topic. Wow! This is pathetic even for you when it comes to your McDaniels bashing.

LOL! This has to be the funniest post of the day. And yes I am laughing at you and not with you. I'm sure others will too.

Too funny! I am highjacking a thread that was apparently highjacked with the original post.

Last edited:
This would be a good time to interview this guy

plunkett.jpg

I've only referenced McDaniels only when you and other ball-washers bring him up. You can't stand anything that may indirectly be a criticism of him, even in threads that have nothing to do with him. Leave McKid out of this. He's already left New England to be over-his-head with another team.

You may not have anything else to say in this thread about protecting Brady, since you have already stated you are fine with Brady to keep getting pounded into the dirt and don't want to change anything, but that doesn't give you the right to troll and hijack this thread.

I dare you to write in this thread without referencing/defending your little brother.

This thread isn't about McDaniels, so stop HIJACKING it and changing the subject. We already know that you have no problem Brady was hammered the most in the league, and want to keep punishing his body and post-injury knee.

We're fortunate that the Pats clearly don't share your view about the offense. Given the recent personnel signings, the RB and TE will likely play a much bigger role in the offense than in previous years.

The Patriots have drafted tight ends in the first round twice under Belichick, and have used 8 draft picks on tight ends overall since BB got here. As a matter of fact, the only three seasons that New England has not drafted a tight end have been the last three. They've also signed tight ends as free agents. Kyle Brady springs instantly to mind, although he's not the only one.

As for running backs, replacing Jordan is all they've done this offseason. They didn't draft another running back or make a huge free agency splash with a Michael Turner type. They picked up another veteran for the backfield.

Now, what have Brady's 'hit' numbers been for each season of his career?

Last edited:
I've only referenced McDaniels only when you and other ball-washers bring him up. You can't stand anything that may indirectly be a criticism of him, even in threads that have nothing to do with him. Leave McKid out of this. He's already left New England to be over-his-head with another team.

You may not have anything else to say in this thread about protecting Brady, since you have already stated you are fine with Brady to keep getting pounded into the dirt and don't want to change anything, but that doesn't give you the right to troll and hijack this thread.

I dare you to write in this thread without referencing/defending your little brother.

So you admit you made an indirect criticism about McDaniels and then accuse me about highjacking the thread because I talked about McDaniels. LOL! You should really bring this act on the road because you are too funny. You wear your McDaniels bashing agenda on your sleeve.

Last edited:
Now, what have Brady's 'hit' numbers been for each season of his career?

You've constantly deflected questions and hijacked this thread, and now you want a response as if you have any credibility? Even direct questions about your views regarding whether the Pats should do anything about Brady taking the most hits of any QB, were ignored.

You can go mine for stats all you want, to create even more off-topic tangents that have nothing to do with the thread. It still doesn't change the fact that before his injury, Tom Brady was the most-hit QB in the league, and that the Patriots can't let that continue when he comes back this fall post-injury.

So you admit you made an indirect criticism

No, I said that for ANYTHING that is related to the offense, you immediately jump in and turn it into a 'defend McDaniels' mission.

Since you love him so much, go root for Denver instead. You're the one constantly hijacking threads and making the focus on McDaniels, when it should instead be about how to reduce Brady's hits.

You've constantly deflected questions and hijacked this thread, and now you want a response as if you have any credibility? Even direct questions about your views regarding whether the Pats should do anything about Brady taking the most hits of any QB, were ignored.

You can go mine for stats all you want, to create even more off-topic tangents that have nothing to do with the thread. It still doesn't change the fact that before his injury, Tom Brady was the most-hit QB in the league, and that the Patriots can't let that continue when he comes back this fall post-injury.

I haven't deflected questions and I haven't hijacked this thread. You've made claims and I'm trying to find the information you're basing those claims on.

If it really was just about talent/personnel on the O-line, why was Brady pounded less (total hits, not just sacks) from 01-04 with an O-line made of mostly spare parts and castoffs? And if it really is a talent issue at O-line, why do we call so many slow developing pass plays that our O-line can't handle without help?

That's a quote of yours. I'm just looking for the verification. Where are these "hit" numbers, and what are they?

I've only referenced McDaniels only when you and other ball-washers bring him up....

From the thread's O.P.:

This was clear to anyone who regularly watched the Pats that Brady pre-injury was regularly taking a beating on the field. With Brady coming back from major knee injury, reducing the hits will be even more important. Hopefully our new coordinator won't be as negligent with the minimal protection and obsessed with repeated spread passing formations.

So, if the highlighted portion isn't in reference to McDaniels, who is it that has been negligent with minimal protection and obsessed with repeated spread passing formations?

I'm just looking for the verification.

For the fourth time, why can't you answer these very simple questions?
----------
You cited total pass attempts as one variable which accounts for total hits. Do you think they should take steps to modify this, or other variables at all?

Or, does the fact that Brady was hit the most of any QB even before he was injured, mean nothing to you, and you think we should operate exactly as before?

For the fourth time, why can't you answer these very simple questions?
----------
You cited total pass attempts as one variable which accounts for total hits. Do you think they should take steps to modify this, or other variables at all?

Or, does the fact that Brady was hit the most of any QB even before he was injured, mean nothing to you, and you think we should operate exactly as before?

Your questions are nothing but evasions on your part. However, just because I know where you're going to try to go, let's play along:

Steps should always be taken to perfect game planning and game play. Since getting hit is not perfection, the team should look into ways to minimize the hits while still affording the team the best opportunities to win every game, every season. I'm sure this has been done throughout Belichick's tenure in New England.

It really means nothing to me, because I don't have the film and data to know the WHY of it happening.

We know, for example, that some quarterbacks hold on to the ball longer than others while waiting for receivers to get open. We know that Brady is one of those quarterbacks. What we don't know is how much that affects the hit totals, although anyone capable of higher thought should understand that it will lead to the hit totals being higher. And, as I tried pointing out to you earlier, this, and other factors, must be taken into consideration before you go making idiotic blanket statements based upon a stat that's so prone to be misleading as "hits".

Now, answer my questions, please.

Last edited:
Also hits stat is extreemly misleading cause a "hit" statistically can be everything from a knockdown after a throw to a shove with one hand all the way to a tap on his shoulders just to show him they are there. With the amount he throws it will jack his numbers up. this doesnt tell how many of these hits were knockdown hits. that will give you a better idea of how much he got "knocked around" Frankly this whole post is frivilous because like it was stated before if you look at % he was one of the lowest in the league. And a team like Pitt had a hell of alot more sacks and they are a running team which is what you said you would like us to be more like. Balance is great and I am sure BB will make every effort to make this happen but if we need to throw to win gues what is going to happen

With the backs we have we better be running the ball more. I love the spread but Mav is right on this one. Its not about ratio's or percentages, its about how many times the QB was hit. Plain and simple we need to run the ball more!

WRONG. It doesn't matter how many times they run the ball, Brady will still take hits. He took hits in 2004 and 2005 and people were whining about it. People like Mav have ALWAYS whined about it.

Fact is that a Quarterback that takes 2 more hits on 100 more pass attempts is NOT getting hit as much as the other QB. Roethlingsberger getting hit 93 times on 900+ attempts is a lot worse. That reality.

Maverick is a McDaniels hater and liar in general. He goes out of his way to make things up and attack McDaniels and put blame on McDaniels for things that just are McDaniels fault.

As for the O-line, the troll who claimed that the Pats o-line was mediocre needs to get his head examined because they are better than that.

Tackles is not even an official statistic (usually the numbers are coming from the coaches film review) so how can we make any judgment based on a statistic such as 'QB Hit' ?

Anyways, it would be interesting to know how many times Brady was blitzed compared to others. That might have an impact on the number of hits Brady took...

Tackles is not even an official statistic (usually the numbers are coming from the coaches film review) so how can we make any judgment based on a statistic such as 'QB Hit' ?

Anyways, it would be interesting to know how many times Brady was blitzed compared to others. That might have an impact on the number of hits Brady took...

I don't have full numbers handy, but here's a story which talks about how that was breaking down for part of the 2007 season:

Scout.com: Who's Most Effective Against the Blitz?

This is the entire point. It doesn't matter how it happened, it could be any number of factors. But Brady has taken a pounding, the worst of any other QB from 06-07, and now with Brady coming back with his injured knee, it's amazing there are some here who think the Pats should keep doing everything the same way.

Thanks for agreeing with me, but I don't know if I draw the same conclusion from the same facts as observed.

I think that TB would be the first to agree that the Pats are about the "business of winning" and not about the business of protecting any one player, other than to the extent that doing so advances the cause of winning. 27--5 in the regular season over the past two years with two different QB's suggests that the formula is working.

The Belichick formula has worked and produced five trips to the AFCCG, four to the SB and three Lombardis in eight seasons--not to mention a 16--0 season. The long term cost of this success for Tom Brady and how he weighs that cost versus the well-demonstrated benefits for him personally is something that only he can assess and about which he will make a decision when he considers where to finish his career after his contract is up. I don't see the Pats making any major changes, nor do I think they should.

Mate, you're a bit off from the truth. Here's why:

Imagine Brady passes 10000 times in a season, and gets hit 100 times.
Now imagine player X passes 100 time in a season, and gets hit 90times.

Now, in absolute terms, Brady is the more hit player. But in relative terms, or rather, in statistically relevant terms, terms with which we can actually make rational assumptions, Brady has much better chances of not being hit. And *THIS* is the point. In absolute terms, you're completely right. But the tradeoff is simple. *IF* the tradeoff of getting hit 100 times is that you get hit 1% of the time, then you are much more inclined to do that - only because, as staff know, the less frequent you get hit, the less prone you are to injury.

BUT you know, imagine that we take your view, to an extreme (I'm extrapolating). Imagine that Brady throws 10 times in one season. The randomness in nature, the randomness in Pollards hit was such - that in those 10 times - Brady could get severely injured. It's football. There is ALWAYS danger. FACT.

Now, either you read the above argument and understand it, or you don't, in which case I'd be a bit confuzzled. Oh well.

In terms of your questions - do I think the scheme has to change? Slightly, yes. Because in reality any player that is going to take all the snaps in a competitive game CANNOT be put straight into the thick of it and be expected to perform to top standard. That is firstly a liablity to the player, and secondly, too much expectation. I believe we should focus more on the run game, considering the fact we have a top puncher RB and a 1-2 punch. This is to ease Brady back into the game, until he is able to compete with less worry (well, our worry). I believe the team should be more balanced this year as well, regardless of Brady's injury, because that wins games. After a while in 07 with Morris out and Maroney helter skelter we were f'n predictable and it was sh*t to watch at times. I would scream at the TV to run because of the obvious mismatch and we'd pass pass pass, sometimes to our detriment. So - I want spread formations - but I also want a bit more balance. Not for Brady, but for the Patriots to be SB Champs.

Blader.

Tackles have been an official statistic since the 2001 season.

Kitna lead the league in most times sacked in 2006 AND 2007, but he doesn't make it into the top 5? I question the basis of these stats.

There's a lot of stats here...and really one needs to understand MORE before one can truly jusge what is to be done. There are reasons for the hits as well as the nature of the hits, which this stat does not take into account...a tap is a HIT as is a nasty collision. I think a lot of assumptions are being drawn from ONLY the number of hits...and that is a big mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back