PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady was among league's worst in 'bad passes' last season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying that the QB missed is part of the problem in the first place. It's entirely possible that the QB's pass was right where it was supposed to be.

Sure. Maybe it was. I didn't pop into your neighborhood to get involved in an argument or to defend anything. I made the point twice in the article that it's impossible to know what happened on a play unless it's blatantly obvious the receiver ran the wrong route.

My only reason for coming in here and commenting is because I saw some people interpreting the numbers to mean something. If they mean anything at all, it's not worth much. Again, just something interesting.

Last edited:
a proclivity to throw away from defenders, even if it means missing the receiver,

This.

It's why it's a stupid stat. An incompletion is an incompletion.

Obviously, the only thing worse is an interception. How many of these "bad passes" were uncatchable by the defense, too? Brady throws the ball in places where only a Patriot can catch it. More interceptions come on well thrown balls into tight coverage and bad reads than on uncatchable passes.

Statistics that have no correlation to production mean nothing.

Last edited:
This.

It's why it's a stupid stat. An incompletion is an incompletion.

Obviously, the only thing worse is an interception. How many of these "bad passes" were uncatchable by the defense, too? Brady throws the ball in places where only a Patriot can catch it. More interceptions come on well thrown balls into tight coverage and bad reads than on uncatchable passes.

Statistics that have no correlation to production mean nothing.

Thrown away passes are not counted and scored differently.

Last edited:
Sure. Maybe it was. I didn't pop into your neighborhood to get involved in an argument or to defend anything. I made the point twice in the article that it's impossible to know what happened on a play unless it's blatantly obvious the receiver ran the wrong route.

My only reason for coming in here and commenting is because I saw some people interpreting the numbers to mean something. If they mean anything at all, it's not worth much. Again, just something interesting.

I understand what you're saying. I just don't see the utility in a statistic that has such a fatal flaw. I guess it just boils down to that type of flaw making it a stat I don't find interesting, while it doesn't have that same effect on your interest level.

And, before you ask, I don't doubt that Brady was tossing out a fair number of definite misfires last year. It was obvious, especially in the early part of that stretch of games where his arm was clearly bothering him.

I dont know maybe when the Patriots and the Saints hold training camp Brees can give Tom some pointers :eek:

Brees always looks decisive and in command in the pocket.

11361587-standard.jpg

Funny thing is this is a positive stats on our site,lol

Last edited:
That pass to Welker in the SuperBowl comes to mind...

I'd be more inclined to think of three in the AFCCG. The under throw to Edelman (could have been the wrong route) that was picked by Webb. The bomb into double coverage that was picked (chalked that up to Brady simply having to do SOMETHING to loosen the secondary), and the drive ending attempt to Hernandez underneath that was batted when it was painfully obvious that he was covered like a blanket by Reed.

EDIT: And the Gronk overthrow as well. So four.

Last edited:
That pass to Welker in the SuperBowl comes to mind...

Brady threw the ball over his outside shoulder. Welker turned inside and had to spin to try to make the catch. I'm not sure who screwed up, but I think that was a pretty good pass if Welker breaks toward the sideline. Don't watch the ball, watch the video of Welker running the route.

Last edited:
Brady threw the ball over his outside shoulder. Welker turned inside and had to spin to try to make the catch. I'm not sure who screwed up, but I think that was a pretty good pass if Welker breaks toward the sideline. Don't watch the ball, watch the video of Welker running the route.

We'll probably never know, but I maintain that play was improvised. When the Giants blew the coverage, Welker kept running up the seam.

Brady wanted to loft it softly back shoulder b/c of the safety.

Welker wanted a bullet inside that he could keep on running with.

Welker was probably right, if Brady rifles it in. It's game over. But Brady's ball was still very catchable if Welker makes a decent play on it.

Bedard can harp on the fact that Welker doesn't catch a lot of back shoulder passes, but I saw the Pats doing a drill in camp yesterday that was pretty much just that.

This doesn't surprise me. There was at least a six game stretch, where it seemed Brady was throwing the ball into the dirt. Then I heard about the elbow issue and excused him for it.

The Ravens and Giants SB game, well no-one was getting open and he had to make something happen, if he wanted to score. with the exception of the INT pass to Gronk in the SB, I'll say the in-completions were on the receivers, especially the one Welker dropped, I don't care how imperfect that pass was, Welker has caught worse.

We'll probably never know, but I maintain that play was improvised. When the Giants blew the coverage, Welker kept running up the seam.

Brady wanted to loft it softly back shoulder b/c of the safety.

Welker wanted a bullet inside that he could keep on running with.

Welker was probably right, if Brady rifles it in. It's game over. But Brady's ball was still very catchable if Welker makes a decent play on it.

Bedard can harp on the fact that Welker doesn't catch a lot of back shoulder passes, but I saw the Pats doing a drill in camp yesterday that was pretty much just that.

Bedard harped on it because it wasn't something that occurred a whole lot... last season. The Patriots are practicing it now because Belichick saw it go wrong during the biggest in-game situation of the year and wants to get it practiced and corrected in case a similar situation occurs this year.

Bedard harped on it because it wasn't something that occurred a whole lot... last season. The Patriots are practicing it now because Belichick saw it go wrong during the biggest in-game situation of the year and wants to get it practiced and corrected in case a similar situation occurs this year.

Maybe - I don't know if it's reactionary as much as its just another drill. Admittedly, the difference here is that the wideouts were running against good man coverage. A back shoulder is a necessity there. Welker was wide-open against a blown zone coverage.

Maybe - I don't know if it's reactionary as much as its just another drill. Admittedly, the difference here is that the wideouts were running against good man coverage. A back shoulder is a necessity there. Welker was wide-open against a blown zone coverage.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Just a guess, but if completions, INTs, passes defensed, drops and "bad passes" add up to 100%, there's not a lot to talk about here.

Of course, I said that in the 94th post in the thread ...

Last edited:
2. I've seen some of you ask about passes that were thrown away, thrown too low, etc. Those are scored separately and not included in the figures presented.

I have no issue with the article in general but I do have an issue with this statement.

I doubt you can tell which ones were thrown away and which ones weren't. There's no stat nor do teams tell you that. A throw away can be an obvious ball thrown 10 yards over someone's head or it can be a ball that's just at someone's feet or just out of their range. The thing that makes it a throw away is that the qb is putting it in a spot they normally wouldn't consider catchable and safely away from the defense.

Example:
Brady is under pressure, Welker is running and out route and has the defender beaten. Because of the pressure, Brady can't thow the ball where he wants to throw it because his lane is closed down. Instead, he throws the ball well ahead of Welker, knowing that there's open field to that side and there's the slight chance Welker might surprise him. It's still a thow-away to Brady but to anyone watching the NFL broadcast, it looks like a bad pass.

Those are the type of plays that can happen and you can't distinguish without first-hand knowledge.

I don't know if he has more or less bad passes but saying you count thow-aways is an opinion and not a fact.

Last edited:
How do they compile these stats, do they have access to All 22 film, go to the game or record what we see on TV or something else? Just curious...

which one?..the one that hit Welker in BOTH HANDS???...that one???

I think that was actually a great pass to a spot on the field where only Welker could get to the ball, and that Welker turned inside and had to spin around to get his hands on the ball. If Welker turns to the outside for a ball over his outside shoulder he makes the catch and starts running around burning the clock. Checkmate.

Watch the last version - three Giants defenders around Welker and the ball is in the only place where none of them had a play on the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USWKxPgeVt8

Great pass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes