PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady vs Wayne Gretzky: an interesting comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Two stars aligned | Boston Herald

The column points out that both Brady and Gretzky were 27 when they won their last championship. Gretzky played for 11 more seasons; Brady has now played for eight seasons since his last championship.

The column points out that both Brady and Gretzky were 27 when they won their last championship. Gretzky played for 11 more seasons; Brady has now played for eight seasons since his last championship.

While I dont think it fair to compare Brady to Gretzky (or any athlete for that matter), I think one point that should resonate with fans of either, its that your best is celebrated in the company of others best, and rarely on your own. Its not good enough to be the greatest, its critical to your legacy to be able to share the stage.

IMO Gretzky is truly the "Great One" in hockey lore, but as soon as he left Edmonton and a team with Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, Grant Fuhr, Paul Coffey and co. he never won another championship. Brady never had a supporting cast like that, just a defense that knew how to make a stop or the big play when it needed to.

IMO Gretzky is truly the "Great One" in hockey lore, but as soon as he left Edmonton and a team with Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, Grant Fuhr, Paul Coffey and co. he never won another championship. Brady never had a supporting cast like that, just a defense that knew how to make a stop or the big play when it needed to.

The way Gretzky broke records, it would be like a QB throwing 75 TDs in a season, and he did most of this before he was 25. Gretzky is the Great One, and I'd argue he is the most dominant team sport athlete ever. Brady is one of the great ones.

The way Gretzky broke records, it would be like a QB throwing 75 TDs in a season, and he did most of this before he was 25. Gretzky is the Great One, and I'd argue he is the most dominant team sport athlete ever. Brady is one of the great ones.

No argument about Gretzky being the Great One and ONE of the most dominant athletes ever, BUT don't underestimate the supporting cast that Gretzky had when he won 4 Cups. Hence the 5th Cup that Edmonton won post-Gretzky at the expense of the Bruins that year.

Gretzky had the Oilers, and if TFB had that kind of talent around him, I shudder to think of what might have been accomplished. Unfortunately, prolonged runs of greatness are a target and casualty of parity, with the Patriots being something of an exception.

Funny how we always get to hear about how the Pats went 11-5 without Brady but no one really ever points out that the Oilers won the cup without Gretzky, some of those same players won with the Rangers 4 years later, and Gretzky never won again. Team > Individual in all sports.

A QB has a lot more impact in football than any position has in hockey.
A top forward only plays 1/3 of the game.

Gretzky in his prime was way better of a scorer than anyone around him. He also did have a dominant team. So did Orr during his 2 championships. Him not winning again after leaving the oilers is due to the kings/rangers not being talented enough.

Brady not winning is not due to the team not being talented enough. It's likely a combination of bad luck and also it feels to me like he plays tighter / more conservative / and not as well in the playoffs.

interesting comparison . . .

i always likened the Brady and the pats to the late 90s Yankees and Jeter . . . I have thought about this going way back to 2005/6 . . . once we lost some/reduced time of our key players in 2005-2006, Law, Phifer, McGinest, Johnson, Bruschi's stroke days after the 2004 probowl and so on, I was concern the run was over, well at a minimum it was going to be diminished . . .

at the end of the 2006 season i was more concerned and wondering if we would ever get solid players on D, and with the lost of Branch and Givens, and Dillion retiring, would we get replacements at WR and RB . . .

by the end of the 2006 AFCCG and going into 2007 our team was going to look a lot different than it did 2001-2004 . . . 2007 was a pleasent surprise and the last few years have been great with the team rebuilding . . .

but overall i still see brady like Jeter . . . a great clutch and money player that played on a team early in his career with solid role players that may not make it to the HOF, but collectively came together great and won many championships before he was in his late 20s . . . then as the role players left the team was never able to replace them and ended coming back to the pack and having a great team among the best that had a 2-3 close runs at a ring (2001, 2003, 2004 Jeter) (2006, 2007, 2012 Brady) but bad bounces and luck prevented them fromg getting another ring after their early success . . .

as the yankees won recently, hopefully the pats can break through and win a ring in the next year or two . . .

but it was a nice article and i can see the parallels to Gretzky . . . but i think Jeter might be a closer analogy . . . had great success early in his career and stated on the same team, but once some of the role players left from the championship years, the team feel back to the pack and its fan base has to endure 3-4 painful exits from the playoffs . . .

There are some similarities...

Both - excellent work ethic
Both - not the most gifted athletes
Both - mastered the game (90% of the game is played above your shoulders thing...)
Both - excellent team-mates that played their roles
Both - amazing vision and anticipation (although I would give the nod to 99 on anticipation)
Both - never satisfied with the last championship.
Both - humble on and off the ice/field (except for #99's daughter, she is the Ray Lewis of social media)

It is hard to compare two athletes playing two different sports in two different eras. I think the reporter was trying to say Brady may never get another ring, or whatever, or maybe he just wanted people to know he knew something about hockey. He should just stay out of my sport.

I can only say that for me, Gretzky is the best athlete on and off the ice/field. He is pure passion, pure class and in his prime pure unadulterated production ( I mean 255 points in one season, including playoffs where all series were not best of 7...off the chart). Besides I would not yet compare the two, after all I don't believe #12 is done...

Both married celebrity wives....and never won another championship.

Footnote: I was in Vegas soon after Gretzky married, and one quiet afternoon I'm walking thru Bally's and there is Gretzky, his wife, and Bruce McNall playing black jack. I sat down at their table, played my cards, and just did some quiet observing. Gretzky played $5 hands while McNall and Janet Jones played $500 hands. She was a clear novice but that didn't stop her from dropping big cash that day. Funny how she got caught up in some gambling ring years later........hmmmmmm

Might as well get my other celebrity gambling story out. I'm standing at Pete Rose's Sports bar in Boca Raton on a football Sunday...late '80s. Not crowded, but no seats, so I'm the only one standing watching the 4PM game. While watching the game, i'm listening to a conversation between a young guy, probably 22, and an older guy. The young gun is telling him how his college bets did the day before, then asks the old guy how he did. The old guy says, "I got killed yesterday." I turn around and realize the old guy is Pete Rose.

Just read about Gretzky's first THREE seasons via Wikipedia and again you'll see why the comparison is foolish. I'm not even talking about championships here; even with a single Stanley Cup, Gretzky is still the best ever without any question. And those mentioning Jeter with Brady, come on, Jeter is nowhere near the superstar Brady is, unless you are just counting popularity and fame.

In his first NHL season, 1979–80, Gretzky was awarded the Hart Memorial Trophy as the League's Most Valuable Player (the first of eight in a row) and tied for the scoring lead with Marcel Dionne with 137 points.[50][51] Although Gretzky played 79 games to Dionne's 80, Dionne was awarded the Art Ross Trophy since he scored more goals (53 vs. 51).[52] The season still stands as the highest point total by a first year player in NHL history. Gretzky became the youngest player to score 50 goals but was not eligible for the Calder Memorial Trophy, given to the top NHL rookie, because of his previous year of WHA experience.[53] The Calder was awarded to Boston Bruins defenceman Ray Bourque.[54]

In his second season, Gretzky won the Art Ross (the first of seven consecutive) with a then-record 164 points, breaking both Bobby Orr's record for assists in a season (102) and Phil Esposito's record for points in a season (152).[32] He won his second straight Hart Trophy.[50] In the first game of the 1981 playoffs versus the Montreal Canadiens, Gretzky had five assists. This was a single game playoff record.[55]

During the 1981–82 season, he surpassed a record that had stood for 35 years: 50 goals in 50 games. Set by Maurice "Rocket" Richard during the 1944–45 NHL season and tied by Mike Bossy during the 1980–81 NHL season, Gretzky accomplished the feat in only 39 games. His 50th goal of the season came on December 30, 1981 in the final seconds of a 7–5 win against the Philadelphia Flyers and was his fifth of the game.[56] Later that season, Gretzky broke Esposito's record for most goals in a season (76) on February 24, 1982, scoring three goals to help beat the Buffalo Sabres 6–3.[57] He ended the 1981–82 season with records of 92 goals, 120 assists, and 212 points in 80 games, becoming the only player in NHL history to break the two hundred-point mark.[58] That year, Gretzky became the first hockey player and first Canadian to be named Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year.[59] He was also named 1982 "Sportsman of the Year" by Sports Illustrated.[60] The Canadian Press also named Gretzky Newsmaker of the Year in 1982.

The following seasons saw Gretzky break his own assists record three more times (125 in 1982–83, 135 in 1984–85, and 163 in 1985–86); he also bettered that mark (120 assists) in 1986–87 with 121 and 1990–91 with 122, and his point record one more time (215, in 1985–86).[61][62] By the time he finished playing in Edmonton, he held or shared 49 NHL records, which in itself was a record.

A QB has a lot more impact in football than any position has in hockey.
A top forward only plays 1/3 of the game.

Gretzky in his prime was way better of a scorer than anyone around him. He also did have a dominant team. So did Orr during his 2 championships. Him not winning again after leaving the oilers is due to the kings/rangers not being talented enough.

Brady not winning is not due to the team not being talented enough. It's likely a combination of bad luck and also it feels to me like he plays tighter / more conservative / and not as well in the playoffs.

I disagree. If anything I feel like a goalie has as much if not more of an impact on the game than the QB. Brady cannot single-handedly will his team to a Superbowl, while on the other hand, goalies like Patrick Roy, Dominick Hasek, Martin Brodeur, and to an extent, Tim Thomas can literally carry a team on their back more than a QB. That's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes