PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady to flip coin at Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mosi Moose said:
I am OK with this ONLY if it involves EVERY Super Bowl MVP that is currently alive. If not, than I really don't like it and would rather see Steve Largent and Lynn Swann (2 of the best from SEA and PIT) do it.
That would make a hell of a lot more sense, for the life of me I can't understand Brady as the choice. Nor can I really understand him accepting the invitation. I dunno... guess we'll have to wait and see how the NFL spins it.

If it's every other Super Bowl MVP, why isn't Branch going. Doesn't make sense, and sounds really strange, not sure what they are up to.

I don't know...I keep hearing HE IS the coin flipper. ESPN, NFL network...all saying Brady is the FIRST active player honored with doing the coin toss.

I also heard it has something to do with the U of M of connection....

I don't like it!

he probably sees it as a chance of a lifetime type deal.. something not everyone gets to do.. i dont see the problem with it.. could be fun.. we are reigning superbowl champs..

In some weird way I feel like he's been invited to the "Dark side" and I'm yelling "don't do it"!!!!!!!!

This is like BB not wanting to stand next to the Lombardi pregame of the SB!!! Can't remember which one that was and I know he warmed up to it later but I can't help but feel there some kind of bad Karma with this deal!

IF, this is a group of former SB MVP's, then how can he refuse to do it?

I wish the press would tell the whole story sometimes.

Saw on TV as I was leaving for work. Not just Brady, it's MVP's from all 39 Superbowls. Local Boston station. He couldn't refuse this honor!

It's amazing that in Brady's young career he has already become a staple of the Super Bowl. I mean pundits say he's not as good as Manning, but is there another active player that carries the same mystique and is a living legend like Tom Brady?

I can imagine the Seahawk and Steeler captains looking in awe, like "wow, that's a CHAMPION right there".

edzo44 said:
Saw on TV as I was leaving for work. Not just Brady, it's MVP's from all 39 Superbowls. Local Boston station. He couldn't refuse this honor!

How do 39 guys flip one coin?

PATSNUTme said:
IF, this is a group of former SB MVP's, then how can he refuse to do it?

I wish the press would tell the whole story sometimes.
I wish they would too. Obviously, if a group of former SB MVPs will be there, it's a whole different story and it's not nearly so weird to me.

Now Reiss is saying Brady flips the coin.

February 03, 2006
More on Brady's toss
More details have become available regarding Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's involvement with the opening coin toss in Super Bowl XL.

According to NFL Director of Corporate Communications Brian McCarthy, Brady will toss the coin before the game.

The NFL is assembling more than 30 Super Bowl MVPs on the field before the game as part of its season-long campaign to celebrate 40 years of Super Bowls. The league will begin the game by saluting the current players, and has chosen Brady -- the two-time Super Bowl MVP and three-time Super Bowl champion -- to represent all current players.
Brady becomes the first active, non-participating player to flip the coin for a Super Bowl game.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Oops, R T26 already reported this. Sorry.

Last edited:
eh. I still don't like it. I can understand him going, but wish he would have begged off on the flipping.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
eh. I still don't like it. I can understand him going, but wish he would have begged off on the flipping.

Well, once the NFL decided to go with this motif, i.e., have a prior SB MVP flip the coin, I'd rather see Tom do it than anyone else. My other favorites would be Joe Montana and Steve Young. To me, when you look at it that way (by the company he's in) it's quite an honor for Tom.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

I agree. Why is Brady even there. I was just listening to ESPN radio and they said that Brady walked into Radio Row and he had a bigger entorage than any boxer in recent memory. What is up with all this crap?

Brady is getting killed for this. On any NFL forum you go to or any show you listen to, he is universally taking a beating for even agreeing to do this. Makes him look weak IMHO. I love the guy and I am sure by 6:31 PM on Sunday no one will even remember this, but how can Brady, who is suppose to be one of these most competitive SOBs out there agree to stand at center field of the SB wearing street clothes...HOW??????????

What is left for this guy after retirement??? A ceremonial trip to the moon?

Last edited:
Drewwho said:
I agree. Why is Brady even there. I was just listening to ESPN radio and they said that Brady walked into Radio Row and he had a bigger entorage than any boxer in recent memory. What is up with all this crap?

Brady is getting killed for this. On any NFL forum you go to or any show you listen to, he is universally taking a beating for even agreeing to do this. Makes him look weak IMHO. I love the guy and I am sure by 6:31 PM on Sunday no one will even remember this, but how can Brady, who is suppose to be one of these most competitive SOBs out there agree to stand at center field of the SB wearing street clothes>>>>HOW??????????

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. This is like when the first MVP was asked if he wanted to say 'I'm going to Disneyworld', and he did (Phil Simms). Now they all do, but if Brady were the first, you'd all be screaming how silly it was.

Mixed emotions. But, I keep asking myself this. What if they had all those SB MVP's and Brady and Branch weren't there?

I'd probably be yelling foul.

Now, I'm asking myself another question. How did the letters on my comuter change all of a sudden? But they look cool.

PATSNUTme said:
Mixed emotions. But, I keep asking myself this. What if they had all those SB MVP's and Brady and Branch weren't there?

I'd probably be yelling foul.
Yes, I can see what you're saying, I would too. My problem is with the coin flip not the attendance.

If the NFL was convinced that they wanted an ACTIVE member of the NFL to toss the coin (which doesn't make any sense anyway) then Branch is the most logical choice since he was the last MVP. Not Brady. Branch would only make slightly more sense than Brady, either way they should have picked a retired legend to flip it.

I'm not pissed or angry about it, I don't hate it... I just don't like it much.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yes, I can see what you're saying, I would too. My problem is with the coin flip not the attendance.

If the NFL was convinced that they wanted an ACTIVE member of the NFL to toss the coin (which doesn't make any sense anyway) then Branch is the most logical choice since he was the last MVP. Not Brady. Branch would only make slightly more sense than Brady, either way they should have picked a retired legend to flip it.

I'm not pissed or angry about it, I don't hate it... I just don't like it much.

Agree. Branch being the last MVP would be the logical choice if they are going that way.

PATSNUTme said:
Agree. Branch being the last MVP would be the logical choice if they are going that way.

Outside of New England, how many people have heard of Cliff (I mean Deion) Branch? See? :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back