PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady to Brandon Lloyd: A Concern..... or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lloyd looked pretty damn good considering the "chemistry" question. It's clear that Brady is not hesitant to throw to him unlike the former #85. It will only get better from here...yet another ulcer in the making for opposing DCs.

:rocker:

It was kind of shocking to see Lloyd get some balls that we've typically expected to get thrown to Wes.

The crazy flying toe touch catch on the sideline was definitely part of the package we'd heard about and hoped for... delivered in true fashion.

not suprised to see welker start slow......he did not do much in preseason, so yesterday was not suprising.....just look at the ball that bounced off his face mask.

brady targets welker:
2011 - 172
2010 - 122 (post injury)
2009 - 162
2008 - 150 (cassel)
2007 - 145

that's more than 150 per year for the last 5. scheme-wise, they know exactly what they have, and I have no doubt that he will be use plenty this season. even being 'non-existent' yesterday, he's on course for 80 targets.....I'd say it will be more like 120-130 this year. I think it is wise to 'de-emphasize' him a bit as opposing defenses would then have to focus on others more and allow welker to get more open and get more yac. I also think physical conservation is wise

If everyone stays healthy we are really wading into full on pick your poison territory where whichever tack you take will just expose another counter. With Ridley developing and Lloyd assimilating quickly Brady can run it all up tempo and with "12" personnel who can block, run, catch out of multiple formations with few tells forcing defenses to guess what might be coming.

Got into a discussion at work with a Packers fan. People aren't sold on the "Brady to Lloyd" connection yet. This actually happened sometime last week but listening to Mut & Merloni, a texter asked the same question.

Do we think this connection is valid? Will it take a few games before it develops fully? Will it develop at all?

Not placing too much weight on the pre-season but I will admit, they weren't as connected as I had hoped for. I do feel comfortable in remembering that in the 2007 pre-season, I did't recall Brady and Moss tearing things up before going 16-0, Brady throwing for 50 TDs, almost half (if not more) to Moss and going to the superbowl.

Thoughts?

Moss' first game in 2007 was against the Jets and Brady to Moss lit up the Jets' D. Moss had something like 10 receptions for 200 yards and it was his best game of the year.

On the "big play" yesterday, Lloyd was open because the safety bit hard. He slowed a bit because he expected the ball to be there and he was looking for it. Brady threw where he expected Lloyd to be. Either Brady was a tad slow to deliver or Lloyd was a bit eager or both. It's week 1.

Lloyd runs the 1 route about as well as you can run it and there's nothing on the tree he can't run well. This relationship should only get better.

Complete joke but on the first miss I said uhoh ocho 2.

But the rest of the day, That play, and especially the toe touch catch were real impressive and easily has surpassed ocho already in one game. :D

On the Miss clearly they are still getitng used to eachother and LLloyd slowed up when he shouldnt have. They will get it.

Complete joke but on the first miss I said uhoh ocho 2.

But the rest of the day, That play, and especially the toe touch catch were real impressive and easily has surpassed ocho already in one game. :D

On the Miss clearly they are still getitng used to eachother and LLloyd slowed up when he shouldnt have. They will get it.

I begin to see the "85" jersey curse at first but Lloyd quickly proved me wrong, thank goodness.

Still a little miffed over slowing down and missing the TD on that awesome trick play call but I write it off to not being totally in synch with Brady just yet, it will come. That toe catch was amazing and I couldn't believe the body control but what impressed me most about Lloyd all day was his blocking.

I pointed it out several times to the crowd I was watching with for a little guy he gets GREAT position and I saw at least one pancake block. This was something I was watching for as one of the underappreciated parts of Branch's game was "doing all the little things right" which in my mind translate to run blocking. A big part of Ridley having the day he had was everyone, including the WR's, doing a fantastic job of being where they were supposed to be and getting their man blocked. Well done #85 you are everything I was hopeing for and more :singing:

Not overthrown at all. As a QB, you know that help comes from the inside by means of the safety, so you always throw that ball to the outside shoulder...it would never be any different. Logic being if it is over thrown or slightly inaccurate, it's what you call a 'good miss'.

Lloyd looked over his inside shoulder which resulted in two things. One; he lost sight of the ball as Brady was putting it to his outside shoulder, as he was supposed to. Two; when you look inside, it restricts your route running ability. He should be fading slightly to the sideline and when you look inside, it drags you in as well as slowing you down.

Had Lloyd simply looked over the correct shoulder he would have been fine...if anything, the pass might have been under thrown if Lloyd was 'in stride'.

Other than that botched play, they were fine. He made up for it with that beautiful grab.

Not for nothing, but Troy Brown is on WEEI and he just said the same thing. He thinks that Tom overthrew Lloyd on that pass more than Lloyd not catching the ball.

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but Troy Brown is on WEEI and he just said the same thing. He thinks that Tom overthrew Lloyd on that pass more than Lloyd not catching the ball.

Given that the receiver turned around and backpedaled, and the ball still got into his hands, there's no way it was an overthrow.

yeah i tweeted reiss about it. He blames lloyd as well..could have kept running.

Troy will on occasion make some rather odd observations that I attribute to his being a former WR...that being one of them.

Given that the receiver turned around and backpedaled, and the ball still got into his hands, there's no way it was an overthrow.

agree but it looked liked the pass forced Lloyd to make an adjustment he was unable to make.

True, but I think the ball could've been thrown a little better. Just me though.

Brady will generally own them when he's at fault. Often times even when he isn't. Today he didn't offer to take Lloyd off the hook, as he didn't Wes. However, he did indicate that the three in a row low throws were on him. Sometimes they are by design. He said these were more the result of momentary indecision.

Earlier in his career, Lloyd was known for the spectacular catch and some drops on the gimme.

It appears TB throws his best deep ball with a little action around that makes him step into the throw. When he has so much time, it occasionally appears he doesn't fully strides into the throw (see AFCCG).

Polian always worked under the assumption that it takes three years to develop fully functioning pass offenses. People have to remember that 2007 was a huge anamoly.

Its rare, but sometimes Brady makes bad passes and overthrows some of his receivers.

I remember the wide open pass in the ACFCG against the Ravens. How do you overthrow a 6'7 wide open Gronk?

The simple fact is a deep pass like that is meant to hit a receiver in stride. If the receiver pulls up when it would have hit him in stride, it is on the receiver. Sometimes the receiver has to pull up to catch it and then if it isn't completed, it is on the QB. It seems pretty clear that this one was on Lloyd.

But is was one play in a blow out win. Why should we continue to dwell on it?

The simple fact is a deep pass like that is meant to hit a receiver in stride. If the receiver pulls up when it would have hit him in stride, it is on the receiver. Sometimes the receiver has to pull up to catch it and then if it isn't completed, it is on the QB. It seems pretty clear that this one was on Lloyd.

But is was one play in a blow out win. Why should we continue to dwell on it?

You're right, we shouldn't dwell on it. If this was the last play of the game and we were down, it would be though. ;)

It was just a original question of their chemistry on the field.

Circumstantial mistake on Lloyd's part. In no way was it a "giving up" situation where giving up is associated with slothfulness or a slow learner. As a learning experience it will be just like those picks rookie QBs throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back