Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tom Brady still has the best Defense-adjusted stats of any QB in the league

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BradyManny, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradyManny

BradyManny Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +135 / 4 / -1

Not bad for someone who seemingly half the fanbase thinks is bringing us down:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | QUARTERBACKS 2009

He still has the highest DYAR and the second highest DVOA.

Lends some credence to the CHFF article citing the Pats schedule as the reason for their overall offensive struggles.

Oh, and the Pats offense comes in at 2nd in defense-adjusted stats:

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2009 OFFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

Other tidbits: Sadly, our defense is a pedestrian 18th in these weighted metrics.
    http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Good news: Moss & Welker are both top 10 wideouts by these #s. Not so good news, and which supports the idea that #3 wideout is the main issue on offense, Sam Aiken (who was amongst the last until recently) has a DVOA of -.2 & is only catching 49% of passes thrown his way. The good news there is Aiken is improving after digging himself an early hole. Welker is catching a pretty astounding 74% on the other hand.
    http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Interesting that Brady's rankings remain almost as high as in 2007 although his completion % and totals are down. Ditto Welker.

3. bigfandan

bigfandan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

The defensive stats lend some credibility to this ranking. Brady played top 3 defenses 4 times (2x against #1), and played 7th to 9th defenses 4 times. That is 8 times against top 10 defenses.
    1 NYJ -18.6% 1
    2 BAL -12.8% 6
    3 DEN -12.5% 3
    4 PHI -12.1% 5
    5 GB -10.5% 2
    6 SF -8.4%
    7 CAR -5.0%
    8 BUF
    9 IND -1.6%

This list confirms what my intuition tells me - our defense is below average (ranked 18th) - and our defense is below almost every other playoff team.

Biggest area of improvement is the defense. Hope we can get that fixed in time. (Ofense is far from perfect... I know).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  4. Jangles

Jangles PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0

ITT: Acronyms I don't understand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.