PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady - Stetson Man

Actually, one of us would. I am nowhere near as rich as nearly ANY NFL player, but I have certainly passed up opportunities to make more money in my lifetime. Money isn't everything.

Hey, me too, but I don't know if I'd pass up $12M to do some commercials and print ads for a cologne.

I think he should bring his O-Line in on this

Seriously, why is anybody acting like this endorsement deal is demeaning to Brady? Being the spokesman for drugstore cologne and aftershave is a time-honored gig for sports heroes. Think of the Aqua Velva Man, etc. -- Namath, Tarkenton and their ilk were all over it. Next best thing to the Wheaties box. No biggie.

Hey, me too, but I don't know if I'd pass up $12M to do some commercials and print ads for a cologne.
Hey, I never said there was anything wrong with this endorsement deal, and I never said I'd pass it up (not that I would do anything but kill their sales!) I was just replying to the implied argument that he couldn't be expected to turn down any job that paid $12.5M, no matter how odious.

I'd guess the guys in the huddle will appreciate it

Seriously, why is anybody acting like this endorsement deal is demeaning to Brady? Being the spokesman for drugstore cologne and aftershave is a time-honored gig for sports heroes. Think of the Aqua Velva Man, etc. -- Namath, Tarkenton and their ilk were all over it. Next best thing to the Wheaties box. No biggie.

i don't think it's demeaning, i just think it's funny.

My only regret is that i can no longer mock Payme for "Cut that meat!" or "You're my favorite accountant," or "You've got the best arm in the neighborhood."

hey, the guy's earning a nice buck. more power to him. just bring home number four...

Hard to argue with that!

untamed_left.jpg

Lets hope that is not the add. He will never live it down. :confused:

I can't imagine the ball busting he is going to get in the locker room for this.

And it's nice fodder for opposing fans.

Fun stuff.

I don't get people who say that. $12.5 mil is $12.5 mil. Bill Gates is worth a helluva lot more than that, and he's not just selling his stock and going home. I don't care how rich I was, I would take $12.5 mil if offered.

No sh!t...

Did Joe Montana first see his now wife in a magazine, point her out to his agent, and have him arrange a meeting with her? I swear that is how they met, it was legendary!

This is how I'm going to do it also...

"The Coty Prestige brand portfolio is distributed in prestige and ultra-
prestige stores and includes Calvin Klein, Cerruti, Chloe, Chopard,
Davidoff, Jennifer Lopez, Jette Joop, Jil Sander, JOOP!, Kenneth Cole,
L.A.M.B. fragrance Gwen Stefani, Lancaster, Marc Jacobs, Nikos, Sarah
Jessica Parker, Vera Wang and Vivienne Westwood.

The Coty Beauty brand portfolio is more widely distributed and includes
adidas, Aspen, Astor, Baby Phat, Celine Dion, Chupa Chups, David and
Victoria Beckham, Desperate Housewives, Esprit, Exclamation, Isabella
Rossellini, Jovan, Kylie Minogue, mary-kateandashley, Miss Sixty, Miss
Sporty, Nautica, Phat Farm, Pierre Cardin*, Rimmel, Shania Twain, Stetson,
and Vanilla Fields.

Coty and Puig have a strategic partnership for the distribution of the
perfume lines of Nina Ricci, Carolina Herrera, Prada, Paco Rabanne, and
Comme des Garcons in the U.S."

Some pretty big names... I can see why he did it now... other then money.

Nice. Guess I need to buy some new cologne.

My only regret is that i can no longer mock Payme for "Cut that meat!" or "You're my favorite accountant," or "You've got the best arm in the neighborhood."

hey, the guy's earning a nice buck. more power to him. just bring home number four...

You must have missed those oh so metro, Movado watch ads that Brady did.

It's not as if Gisele restricts herself to shilling for high-end products?

Or does she? I must confess I haven't really checked out her portfolio.

Anyhow, all kidding aside -- and I agree that he set himself up for that -- she REALLY is the only one who should have the right to take umbrage at this.

But I bet she likes the smell of money. :)

As for how much money is enough -- there's never a level at which you wouldn't want, ideally, to have more. By the time you are at the level where you can't conceive that you or the next several generations of your family could ever want to spend any more personally -- not matter what the personal and economic developments are over the next century or so -- even living just off the income ... well, to get the number that high you're up to the quantities of money that support some serious charity.

As for the example of Bill Gates -- I don't know him all that well, but I've had dinner with the guy a few times (none recently), and I've met his parents, and one of his girlfriends used to cry on my shoulder a lot and another did so a little, so I think I have some insights. The ones that may be relevant are:

1. People change their interests and priorities over time. E.g., he used to be scathing of sports fans, seeing the whole thing as a big waste of time. Based on various courtside pictures I've seen of him since, that changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if his incredible work competitiveness also changed, even though it was fully in place the last time he and I talked.

2. Overall, he's pretty much the guy he appears to be in the press, both good and bad.

3. He really got this charity bug from his parents. Mainly his mother, I used to think, but some subsequent reporting suggests the negative opinion I got of his father when meeting the guy probably wasn't entirely fair.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back