PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady played great

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a team loss and you have to know what is expected of receivers in the right situation. the problem here is you can call it either way.

For the throw to Branch, should he have sat on the route to make sure he gets a clean look at the ball? I realize that if brady hits him in stride it may go in for a score, but getting the ball and some time on the 30ish yard line is a good gain.

The throw to welker. if it's to the inside the defense can make a play on it or possibly crush welker.

Gronk called for the ball to be thrown and Brady had to trust that he had his man beat. You only throw the hand up when you are completely wide open and he wasn't.

The Giants defense was getting good pressure and Brady was bobbing and weaving. He could have taken some sacks if his pocket presence was less than what t was and people would be talking how dominant the rushing D was.

I get it, it still hurts and we shot ourselves in the foot a couple times (safety and fumble recovery cancelled because of a defensive penalty) and the giants got a couple lucky brakes withthe fumbles.

I imagine Tom would have had a better game if he was going up against our own defense :rolleyes:. If I had a true complaint it would be the lack of scoring after the opening drive in the 3rd quarter.

For the last several years, Brady hasn't played well in big games. He turns the ball over and makes poor decissions. I'd take Brees, Rodgers and Manning over Brady any day. Those guys can make the clutch plays and Brady just seems to wilt. Maybe it's time for Bill to start looking at Mallett.

Gronk called for the ball to be thrown and Brady had to trust that he had his man beat. You only throw the hand up when you are completely wide open and he wasn't.

Brady made a poor throw. Gronk was open.....Moreover doesn't Brady have eyes to see if Gronk is really open?. He could have run for some yards too. This game wasn't too tough to win.

For the last several years, Brady hasn't played well in big games. He turns the ball over and makes poor decissions. I'd take Brees, Rodgers and Manning over Brady any day. Those guys can make the clutch plays and Brady just seems to wilt. Maybe it's time for Bill to start looking at Mallett.

I see your mood is "Happy" and you just started posting today, so I take it you're a Giants fan. Welcome to the board and congratulations on winning a great game. I do hope you're able to enjoy the win in more fulfilling ways than making essentially the same comments about Brady in every post you make — on a Patriots fan board.

Neither Brees nor Manning made it to the Super Bowl this year. Brees, for all the talent he has been surrounded with, has not made it back since his win two years ago and Rodgers, also surrounded by talent, failed to return to defend his team's title.

Looking at overall team talent, a case can be made that Brady carried this team to the final more than Brees or Rodgers ever did theirs. (One might even suggest Brady gave the Giants a bigger challenge than Rodgers this year). Brady made some great plays last night; he also had a badly thrown interception. The notion that you and some others here are promoting that Brady isn't the quarter back he used to be — I just can't agree with that. He is a much better quarterback than he used to be (which was still mighty good). INTs happen (hello Peyton; and a quick visit to Google shows that Terry Bradshaw threw a pick and lost two fumbles en route to being MVP of SB13. I'm sure there are others.) Brady threw an even worse pick in SB38 but nobody remembers that because they won. He also drove that team down the field with the same kind of late passes he made last night — but Branch, Givens and Brown did not drop them the way they did last night.

Credit where it's due: Eli Manning is a bona fide clutch QB. That throw to Manningham was spectacular.

You're forgetting a horrible decision under very late pressure that cost us 2 points and early momentum.

You're forgetting a missed throw with about 4 minutes left which Welker is taking all the heat for (somewhat rightfully so as he still could have caught it) but Brady certainly deserves a fair amount of blame as well. A pass those 2 normally complete in their sleep.

And you did mention the horrible pick which I believe came on a first down play where Brady was pressing into another highly unnecessary risk, just like in the Ravens game. Luckily in the Ravens game it didn't cost us but if you don't learn from the mistakes, which he didn't, it will bite you in the *** eventually.

He wasn't bad but once again outplayed by the opposing QB in a big spot. Aside from Tebow it's the 5th time in a row he's been outplayed by the opposing QB in the playoffs and that includes Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez FFS. I love the guy but you can't deny that he hasn't stepped up in the big games lately the way the Pats need him to.

Last edited:
Brady made a poor throw. Gronk was open.....Moreover doesn't Brady have eyes to see if Gronk is really open?. He could have run for some yards too. This game wasn't too tough to win.
Could the ball hve been thrown further. Definitely under bettre circumstances. I'd have to review the play again to get more detail, but you forget brady was under pressure as well.

And Brady isn't just looking at 1 guys, he's look all over the field. Brady doesn't get all the blame for that in my opinion. you can call it any way you like, but I'm saying there's more than 1 thing going on here that's contributing to the appearance of a problem.

Are some of you blind?

It is not a matter of what I want from Tom it is what we needed from Tom.

In a league that has become a quarterback league dominated by big plays in the biggest game of the year I need my quarterback to make more big plays and fewer mistakes than the other team's quarterback. Simple. Tom did not do that. Tough to swallow I know but the biggest difference in this game was the difference between Tom and Eli. Really Tom made two turnovers. The Safety was a turnover and the Int was a turnover and both of those came on 1st downs.

It is simply ridiculous to look at the Welker miss only from the perspective of the quality of the catch and completely ignore the quality of the throw. That was a very poor throw. The fact that it was a catch Welker could have made (as opposed to should have made) does not change the fact that it was a very poor throw that any pro quarterback makes let alone our quarterback.

You cannot look at Eli and the lack of mistakes on his part combined with the big plays he made and Tom and the mistakes he made and the quality of his performance in the big play situations of this game and see this game any other way.

Everything else with the possible exception of Gronks injury just shrivels in comparison to the direct Eli vs Tom comparison.

Last edited:
Not on your life, a deep threat or 2 to go with Wes and the 2 incredible TE's (when the main one is ACTUALLY healthy to go) and that offense is unstoppable, seriously if we had a deep threat then we'd be SB champions because you can't cover deep while leaving Aaron, Gronk and Wes the freedom of the park because it's suicide. An elite deep threat commands 2 guys, Gronk commands 2 guys, Wes almost every time commands 2 guys and Hernandez also needs special attention so you can't double cover everyone right?

Imagine this team with Julio Jones per say?

Tom Brady CANNOT throw the long pass and every team in the league knows this! He never throws a fade pass in the end zone and other teams know this too! This is all on Tom Brady. The pass to Welker was not thrown well and if Welker came up with it the catch it would have been a great play by Welker. He had Branch open a couple of times and if he leads him correctly, they are big plays. The intecepted pass to Gronkowski was severly under thrown. That should have been a TD. Forget about drafting a player that can stretch the field, Brady ca n't get it there.

This was not Tom's finest game for sure

The pick was a terrible decision as there were other open targets
Underthrown to the wrong crippled man

I thought the throw to Welker was ok and should have been caught
The hit from Tuck dinged him up
He almost turtled on a play later and failed to look downfield on a couple of plays when feeling the pressure

The sound judgement that he had displayed throughout his career was missing against both the Ravens and the Gints

That being said he had some great moments and I would keep him around a little longer ;)

I thought the throw to Welker was ok and should have been caught
The hit from Tuck dinged him up

When you look at a pass play like this you have to look at the window the quarterback has to throw into and the degree of difficulty of the resulting potential catch. Brady had yards of room to fit that pass into and flat missed the throw. Given the room he had to fit that ball in Welker should never have had to leave his feet. The failure of that play was more on Brady than Welker but really both players were responsible.

Brady just about injured himself on the Tuck play. Brady made that silly spin move when he was going nowhere and exposed himself to Tuck in the process. Announcers had said many times before this game that in part Tom was going to have to be his own best protector and he surely was far from that on that play.

Eli made the big plays he needed to make and did not make mistakes. Tom did not make the big plays he needed to make and made to many mistakes. In a quarterback league the Giant's quarterback outplayed the Pats quarterback and that was the game. It hurts but just can't be viewed realistically any other way.

This is a team game......TFB didn't play great, but he did play well enough fo a team to win. Once again, plays we're left on the field. The defense played pretty damn good....as good as we could expect.

Bottom line......the last time the Pats won a SB we had a player called "Clock Killin Corey Dillon".......since we got away from committing to run the ball....well....you know the rest.

Not going into WR needs here......plenty of time for that.

The INT aside (which was a ridiculous catch by a linebacker who had concentration like a WR to make the play) he had 2 TD's and nearly 300 yards, if the run game wants to play whack and the D want to let things slip away time after time letting 30+ yard plays beat them all season that's not Brady's fault is it?

He played good Eli played good but the Giants receivers made plays and Wes couldn't make THE play that kills the game.

His Favre-esque like performances in both the Ravens game and this game suggest that his best days are behind him and he is coming back to the pack. It's a slippery road from here and Tom's cleats are wearing down. It's time to start taking very seriously a succession plan. Yes, receivers drop balls, but some of Tom's passes were just awful.

The Pats won a game (Ravens) that they should have lost and they lost a game they should have won. Both times, Tom was significantly less than stellar to say the least.

I for one want to say that I am impressed mightily with what the defense did in the postseason. Good job guys.

You're contradiction yourself in the same sentence. Brady is whatever the offense is designed to be. When he had Moss he threw more deep passes than anybody and better than anybody. Eli does what he does because he has 2 very solid vertical wideouts.

We don't even have one. We have two very solid TE's and a premier slot receiver. So Brady throws it short. It works better for Brady because more passes are spread out and there's less of a risk of one receiver making a bad play on a critical pass. We let Brady spread it around because he's one of the few QB's in the history of the NFL that can throw this many short passes without making a mistake and he proved he can do it even during the biggest game.

That 96 yard drive was pretty incredible honestly.

Unfortunately it should never come at the expense of your deep ball vertical threat. There's no room on this offense for 2 super wide outs like the Giants have. But we don't even have one. Ocho was supposed to be that guy this year. Didn't pan out that way.

We will fix this next year. Won't be caught with our pants down like this again.

Really?

Seems to me like it's developing into a pattern.

How so? The INT was inside their 10 yard line and to his best reciever that was dinged up and is a TE not a deep threat. Just because he threw it does that mean the D should automatically go and give up points??

It was under thrown

It's about knowing the moment. If Brady just stays patient and puts together a surgical drive at SOME point after their opening drive in the second half, they win the game. Instead of heaving it in hopes that his CRIPPLED TE catches the ball? Come on. I don't care that some schmuck was covering; it's just a needless risk for that situation.

The thing that sticks is Brady made the same mistake virtually against Baltimore, and here he goes and does it again.

And let's be honest, the safety was just plain dumb. And maybe without it, the Giants don't even SCORE in the 1st half.

Brady played okay, but not good enough, and his mistakes caused huge turns of the tide in the Giants favor.

Couldn't agree more, great post, Brady has no know better. Defense played a decent opening series, and Brady hands it right back to the giants with 2 points for their trouble. I realize we came back from it, but the point is there isn't a whole lot of room for error with this defense.

Couldn't agree more, great post, Brady has no know better. Defense played a decent opening series, and Brady hands it right back to the giants with 2 points for their trouble. I realize we came back from it, but the point is there isn't a whole lot of room for error with this defense.
Brady was under great pressure when he threw the ball and Gronk wasn't covered. I don't know what his other options were as far as anybody else being open. But i dont' think it was like the B more end zone shot Slater was covered by two then three DB's.

Brady was under great pressure when he threw the ball and Gronk wasn't covered. I don't know what his other options were as far as anybody else being open. But i dont' think it was like the B more end zone shot Slater was covered by two then three DB's.

I would say there are plenty of options, starting with throw it into the stands and come back on another play...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes