PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady or Joe Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.
brady is still second until he gets SB win #4....at which point they will be equal

when brady gets SB win #5, he will be the undisputed GOAT

I think it's Montana, right now. My opinion could change. It depends on a number of different things, Superbowls included.

The loss in 07 really hurt the argument, even though Brady did play pretty well that game given the conditions.

I hope he wins 2 or 3 more so he can be the guy. I can also live with it if that doesn't happen. He's the best this generation of QBs anyway.

I've got my fingers crossed, though...

brady is still second until he gets SB win #4....at which point they will be equal

when brady gets SB win #5, he will be the undisputed GOAT

Again, though, as I asked andrewgarrr, wouldn't that put Brady at #3, behind Montana and Bradshaw, who'd both be tied for #1?

I'm too young to have seen Montana play. He was off to KC before I started watchin football.

But what I do know is I can't imagine anyone playing any better than TFB is right now. Like someone said in a thread a few weeks back he's like a robot. His mechanics are flawless, his pocket presence, his play action fake is much better than it has been the last few years, right up there with what it was when he came into the league. His sneaks, his reading the D and changing protection/audibling. His leadership... I could go on and on.

We are truly lucky football fans to get to watch this guy play.

I have a friend last night who called Brady "bionic." I like to describe him as surgical. He just carves it up, cool as a cucumber. I saw Montana, too, and of course the guy was great (at the time I was not a 49's fan). Who is better? I really would have to reserve my judgment until Brady's career is over. Right now, he is definitely worthy of the comparison, that's for sure.

Who is better? I really would have to reserve my judgment until Brady's career is over. Right now, he is definitely worthy of the comparison, that's for sure.

Completely agree with this.

I think this thread is ridiculous. When Brady finally calls it a day then we can have a look at that. We don't know what the future holds for him from here. If he continues at the same rate then its very likely he becomes the GOAT but not now.

If you're evaluating the greatness of players by the Super Bowl records, then Bradshaw = Montana. You chose the parameters. I responded with a question to see if you were being consistent. That's all.

I chose that parameter to compare the two because the passing statistics and winning percentage between Brady and Montana are comparable. The passing statistics between Bradshaw and either of these two players are not as comparable.

I'm too young to have had the opportunity to watch Montana in the way that I can watch Brady, so I guess I shouldn't even be making the comparison. But, I'll stand by what I said. If and when Brady gets his fourth Super Bowl title, I would rank him above Montana.

EDIT: Punctuation

Last edited:
I chose that parameter to compare the two because the passing statistics and winning percentage between Brady and Montana are comparable. The passing statistics between Bradshaw and either of these two players are not as comparable.

I'm too young to have had the opportunity to watch Montana in the way that I can watch Brady, so I guess I shouldn't even be making the comparison. But, I'll stand by what I said. If and when Brady gets his fourth Super Bowl title, I would rank him above Montana.

EDIT: Punctuation

You're contradicting yourself when you use the # of SB's as an indicator and then further shoving your foot in your mouth by saying you were too young to have even watched Montana play, but yet say he's better than Brady because he won 4 SB's.

Having seen Montana play I would always lay the title of GOAT on him, but to be quite honest the more I watch Brady(having almost won his fourth due to that fateful last drive) I am almost convinced it is arguably Brady even now. To think, the guy is just hitting his peak.

You're contradicting yourself when you use the # of SB's as an indicator and then further shoving your foot in your mouth by saying you were too young to have even watched Montana play, but yet say he's better than Brady because he won 4 SB's.

Having seen Montana play I would always lay the title of GOAT on him, but to be quite honest the more I watch Brady(having almost won his fourth due to that fateful last drive) I am almost convinced it is arguably Brady even now. To think, the guy is just hitting his peak.

I'm fully aware that I'm shoving my foot in my mouth, I think I noted that in my post. Thank you for shoving it in further.

Brady is on a path to be the GOAT. He has a higher winning % than Montana in both the regular season and playoffs. He will have another 4 years near his peak as a QB (health permitting). This is a young team loaded with talent that should improve quite a bit in the next couple of years (with a lot of draft picks also). I will be surprised if Brady doesn't have 5 SB rings and 6 SB appearances before he retires.

You are what your record says you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey