PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady, NFLPA Granted 14-Day Extension To File Motion For Rehearing By Second Circuit Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
On some balls, the difference is more than 0.5 psi. Still, a small amount. Such a small amount, in my opinion, that it is unlikely that they were tampered with. But far from proof that they were not tampered with.
You seem to have thought about this.

What's the Standard Deviation around the expected pressure loss under comparable atmospheric conditions?

For example, if a football is inflated to 12.0 PSI in a room where the temperature is 73 degrees Fahrenheit what would be the Mean expected PSI if the ball were outside in a rainy atmosphere with an average temperature of 42 degrees Fahrenheit for 90 minutes?

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that the expected PSI for that ball is 10.5.

Now let's assume that the SD is 0.1 psi (I am completely making that up). Then, if a ball weighed in at 10.0 PSI instead of 10.5 (0.5 PSI below the expected Mean), it would be Five Standard Deviations below the mean. That would be material. You'd be at five sigma, where fewer than 1 in a thousand balls would be expected to test that low.

However, if the SD were 0.25, then the ball would fall within two standard deviations of the mean, or within the expected range for 67% of balls tested (one in three balls would be expected to test outside the range).

While all of that information would be useful, it would, unfortunately, not be helpful in this case since the pressure was not recorded before the game.

Sir, my position is that there is no scientific proof of tampering or non-tampering. The Wells Report, rightly, did not rely on it. Yet now we have posters arguing that this terribly flawed evidence is somehow proof of no tampering. Makes no sense to me.

I witnessed actual experiments done using an NFL football at two Patriot games this past season. YOU can easily do an experiment of your own when the the weather turns in November. The readings I SAW this past season were LOWER than the reported NFL/Exponent readings for that game by a full PSI of one. Starting temperature of 70 degrees inside heated RV, ball inflated to 13 PSI. Ending temperature 42 degrees, outside on roof of RV the entire game, 10.9 PSI.

What was "terribly flawed" was the NFL's original report by Mort that set off this nuclear tempest.

However, if the SD were 0.25, then the ball would fall within two standard deviations of the mean, or within the expected range for 67% of balls tested (one in three balls would be expected to test outside the range).

While all of that information would be useful, it would, unfortunately, not be helpful in this case since the pressure was not recorded before the game.

Walt Anderson stated for the record that he DID take readings of all the balls and they DID measure at least 12.5 or above.Why is this NOT helpful?

I witnessed actual experiments done using an NFL football at two Patriot games this past season. YOU can easily do an experiment of your own when the the weather turns in November. The readings I SAW this past season were LOWER than the reported NFL/Exponent readings for that game by a full PSI of one. Starting temperature of 70 degrees inside heated RV, ball inflated to 13 PSI. Ending temperature 42 degrees, outside on roof of RV the entire game, 10.9 PSI.

What was "terribly flawed" was the NFL's original report by Mort that set off this nuclear tempest.

The NFL's behavior has been abhorrent from day one. I hope you are not reading into my comments anything that contradicts that.

As for your experiment, it would have been nice if the Patriots had commissioned a study along those lines around the time of the Wells Report.

I don't doubt this in any case.

And who the feck are you to call Joker, "Sir?"

Nice to hear from you, I had assumed you were a bot that just clicked on "dislike" and "disagree" on all my posts, even the ones that contain purely statements of fact.

The NFL's behavior has been abhorrent from day one. I hope you are not reading into my comments anything that contradicts that.

As for your experiment, it would have been nice if the Patriots had commissioned a study along those lines around the time of the Wells Report.
They did....did you miss Belichick's improtu press conference with the memorable My Cousin Vinny reference?

still a long shot to get a rehearing which sucks. im not optimistic about this at all.

Walt Anderson stated for the record that he DID take readings of all the balls and they DID measure at least 12.5 or above.Why is this NOT helpful?
I was addressing a specific question about what would qualify as a material drop. Without a reading for each ball, it's tough to do that. That's what I thought the goofballs in the league were supposed to be doing this past season. Looks like they didn't like what they found. The standard deviation is important because it's how we can take a view on what makes a difference. The poster was suggesting that a 0.5 deviation suggested there was a problem. I was suggesting that had no basis for saying that.

PFS74, I was AT a game this past season with Tunes during which it was announced the league WAS THERE CHECKING THE BALLS.

Season over and they claim.."No way!! We never collected anything!! We were never anywhere!!!", The NFL has been lying since the start about EVERYTHING. Every single thing.

People can do this experiment just by putting footballs in their fridge. It continues to amaze me how stupid the general public is about this whole thing.

Instead of the Mona Lisa Vito press conference, Belichick should have just plugged a mini-fridge in on stage, taken a football, asked a reporter to measure the pressure, put the football in the fridge, walked off stage, made reporters wait 45 minutes while he did some Seahawks prep, come back out, measure pressure again, and then walked off the stage without saying anything. This whole thing would have been over in seven days.

People can do this experiment just by putting footballs in their fridge. It continues to amaze me how stupid the general public is about this whole thing.

Instead of the Mona Lisa Vito press conference, Belichick should have just plugged a mini-fridge in on stage, taken a football, asked a reporter to measure the pressure, put the football in the fridge, walked off stage, made reporters wait 45 minutes while he did some Seahawks prep, come back out, measure pressure again, and then walked off the stage without saying anything. This whole thing would have been over in seven days.

The "general public" is good at mindless hate and envy. Critical thinking? Not so much.

Its May 2016 and at least one person on this forum is defending the science of a company that 'proved' that second hand smoking doesn't contribute to an increased risk or cancer.

Why don't you quote one of my posts where I defend the Exponent Report?

Your post suggests you are unfamiliar with the facts. There were several phones. No texts or emails were provided from the phone that was most relevant (active during the entire 2014 season, including the AFCCG). If you can show me something that controverts that, I would be very interested to see it.

And if the "actual science" would debunk the case, why is it that this science has never been presented?? Certainly the Patriots and/or Brady have the means to fund an experiment that would support their views. I have seen the various reports and presentations that criticize the Exponent methodology, but I have yet to see any "real science" that proves, or even supports, the notion that nothing was done to the balls. For example, I have seen nothing that says, "ok here is the proper way to conduct the experiment, and here we conducted the experiment, and here are the results, and look they show that nothing was done to the Patriots' balls." If you are privy to such "actual science," please provide a link to same. If you are not, then stop suggesting that it exists.

Then you haven't looked at much if anything at all...

I was addressing a specific question about what would qualify as a material drop. Without a reading for each ball, it's tough to do that. That's what I thought the goofballs in the league were supposed to be doing this past season. Looks like they didn't like what they found. The standard deviation is important because it's how we can take a view on what makes a difference. The poster was suggesting that a 0.5 deviation suggested there was a problem. I was suggesting that had no basis for saying that.

Especially considering the gauge used had an accuracy of plus or minus .5 PSI

Been reading through this thread since it started yesterday and haven't said anything yet but. Who tf is this guy and why is he so stupid?

Except the Patriots were still under the impression that the footballs were 2lbs or more under regulation based on the lies the NFL fed them. They were trying to explain something that was unexplainable.

Your post suggests you are unfamiliar with the facts. There were several phones. No texts or emails were provided from the phone that was most relevant (active during the entire 2014 season, including the AFCCG). If you can show me something that controverts that, I would be very interested to see it.

And if the "actual science" would debunk the case, why is it that this science has never been presented?? Certainly the Patriots and/or Brady have the means to fund an experiment that would support their views. I have seen the various reports and presentations that criticize the Exponent methodology, but I have yet to see any "real science" that proves, or even supports, the notion that nothing was done to the balls. For example, I have seen nothing that says, "ok here is the proper way to conduct the experiment, and here we conducted the experiment, and here are the results, and look they show that nothing was done to the Patriots' balls." If you are privy to such "actual science," please provide a link to same. If you are not, then stop suggesting that it exists.

I could post the shortened version, but I think you need a full education.

Except the Patriots were still under the impression that the footballs were 2lbs or more under regulation based on the lies the NFL fed them. They were trying to explain something that was unexplainable.

Absolutely, that's the one problem with my argument! It shows just how damaging that initial report by Mortenson was. God d%#*!@t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes